Patriots/NFL Patriots select safety Kyle Dugger out of Division II Lenoir-Rhyne at No. 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Curran throws cold water on the Edelman "rumors"

So moving a tone-setting, chain-moving security blanket in exchange for a fourth-rounder in order to save $4M on the cap? When guard Joe Thuney is sitting there on the franchise tag, waiting to be renegotiated with a possible cap savings of $10M?

Where would the Patriots offense have been in 2019 without Edelman? Where would it have been in 2000 or 2001 without Troy Brown? Screwed.

Unless the Patriots want to raise the white flag on 2020 in early April, dealing Edelman makes no sense.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Production does not equal happiness for WRs. Just look at the more productive WRs in the nfl in recent times. Most of them have expressed their displeasure and/or demanded trades once (or more) in their careers.
Because success is hard work. Look at all the people complaining about how they hate Belichick and he's no fun. Parcells and Tom Coughlin are cut from the same hardass cloth. I've heard similar things about how hockey players hated Scotty Bowman.

Players love Jason Garrett. But he never won jack all because while he's clapping his hands on the sideline, championship teams are putting in work. Andy Reid might be an exception now, but it took him 25 years to break through. Tomlin is hard to read, it looks like his players love him and he's a cheerleader coach, but behind the scenes I suspect he's tougher on them than he gets credit for (and he had that nasty breakup with AB).

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Brady has rented Derek Jeter's house in Tampa

3OYI7ABNPVGO3NLNV237Q7LO3E.jpg

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
@JRull86

This is what I was referring to

If they move Edelman they should look into moving Gilmore as well imo....I was always of the belief they’d try and move on from him after next season

They have the depth at corner to make such a move and I think it would clear another 3+ this year (and 12+ next year).

Eventually gotta pay the toll on the restructure train....with the amount of dead money they have this season they are certainly doing that. At least next offseason should be fun

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
If they move Edelman they should look into moving Gilmore as well imo....I was always of the belief they’d try and move on from him after next season

They have the depth at corner to make such a move and I think it would clear another 3+ this year (and 12+ next year).

Eventually gotta pay the toll on the restructure train....with the amount of dead money they have this season they are certainly doing that. At least next offseason should be fun

I’m trying to imagine them spending on multiple guys cause I feel like it’s only really been one :laugh: But they may have a ton of money so I am interested to see

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Gilmore is the best player in the NFL.

Hell no give me 3 more years 2 on a reasonable deal for the best player in the NFL and one on the tag. Who’s better than him? Mahomes only played at that high level when all his weapons were healthy.

Something just feels off about Edelman coming back at his age and even if the return is low it’s time to move on. Draft pick won’t be high I’d love a rare player for player trade. Ditto Sanu.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Eh, they don't really need to create space for next year, they have 110 million in space.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Harry Meyers Byrd Gunner plus 2 rookies won’t be that bad.

Impossible to predict who we draft the first is kinda late and WR is 10-12 deep watch Atlanta get another near pro bowl level WR with the Sanu pick. Those guys should be gone by the time we get all those late 3rds.

OL and the run game is the only thing to be worried about if that struggles so will Stidham.

D will be great again.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Eh, they don't really need to create space for next year, they have 110 million in space.

I do think if they moved him they would be able to get a 1st

All depends on what they do at QB I guess. If you plan on getting Deshaun Watson then maybe you keep Gilmore, if you’re planning on going Fields/Lawrence next year maybe you trade Gilmore to get additional draft capitol

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I do think if they moved him they would be able to get a 1st

All depends on what they do at QB I guess. If you plan on getting Deshaun Watson then maybe you keep Gilmore, if you’re planning on going Fields/Lawrence next year maybe you trade Gilmore to get additional draft capitol
And if you think Stidham is your guy, you keep Gilmore and Edelman in order to to give him as much of a chance as possible to be successful.

Reactions: McGarnagle and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Volin and Kyed both brought up the possibility of Tua being in play for the patriots

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
They don't have the ammo to get to #5 or so, which would be required to nab him.

Probably best to link the Doug Kyed article @CDJ is referring to: (Could Tua Tagovailoa Be In Play For Patriots In First Round of NFL Draft?). He's going off a report from Bleacher Report's Matt Miller that Tua is QB3 or QB4 on some boards. The speculation being that if the Dolphins take Herbert, and maybe the Chargers take Love, then Tua might fall. Kyed's only point is that if Tua fell into the teens, then the Patriots might consider trading up to get him and it wouldn't cost too much. Based on the draft value chart, #23 & #87 could get them to #18, and then if they added #98, they could get to #14. Personally, I don't see Tua falling, so it's a moot point.

As for Volin, he doesn't know what he's talking about, which probably shouldn't need to be said at this point. He's talking about Detroit's #3 for #23, #87, Edelman, and another 3rd rounder. That's not even close to getting it done, but, again, Volin's an idiot. His whole Edelman-to-Detroit premise is based on a Bill Simmons "report", which was Simmons literally seeing an April Fool's tweet and thinking it was somehow real.

There are 2.5 weeks until the draft with no other sports going on and it's just a situation of reporters throwing **** on the wall to discuss. If I had to guess what the Patriots do, I'd say they trade down, either bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd, and pick up another day 3 pick. It's seems like the talent flattens out a bit starting in the late teens to about pick #50. Might as well trade down and accumulate more draft capital.

Reactions: CDJ

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I assumed from his body type and the fact he played in the SEC that he was mobile. Or maybe it's just other unconscious bias.

Regardless, dude's hip is janked up, and I'm not tying my wagon to that horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad