Patriots/NFL Patriots select safety Kyle Dugger out of Division II Lenoir-Rhyne at No. 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Myles Bryant: The Draft Network

PROS: Dynamic, explosive line of scrimmage defender with stellar potential as an NFL nickelback. Impossibly explosive playing downhill. Sees and anticipates boundary plays equally well and has the short area acceleration to get there in a hurry. Very difficult to stalk block near the line of scrimmage--will be physical and recruit his hands with WRs/TEs and bend around offensive linemen en route to the ball carrier. Can make tackles at warp speed with flexibility and change of direction prowess. Targets the near hip with great frequency and brings his momentum through his target; can snag ankles when attempting diving tackles to slow down, if not trip up, opponent. Plays with fantastic leverage and always turns ball-carriers back into help. Will incorporate physicality and hand usage into catch-man technique to suffocate WR's cylinder and eliminate any chance of a throw.

Characteristic explosiveness shows up in off-coverage when closing on breaking routes, though will be hesitant with drop/gather steps. Arrives on time with the football and will win PBUs with flexibility and physicality to the catch point, despite insufficient length to always win through WR's frame. As a press corner, is most successful using soft-shoe/mirror technique. Does well to kick-slide and redirect to the best of his length without over-committing, then flipping his hips in time with WR's stride. Not afraid of leaning into WR's cylinder to narrow throwing window.

CONS: Smallish frame struggles in true press reps. Feet will fall asleep a little bit as he looks to create power without having great length. Drop steps become a bigger issue near the line of scrimmage, allowing releases from WRs. Can accordingly play from the trail position, but lack of length hurts him thereof. Blazing downhill play style is a bit feast or famine, as he looks to blow up plays in the backfield, but the sacrifice is probably worthy. Not comfortable dropping into deep zones; always wants to have the action 5 yards in front of him, not 15. Can over-estimate his own physicality and try to exchange power with players he should not engage (see: N'Keal Harry). Willingness to attack the catch point is good, but ball skills a question given low INT production (though admittedly, it was a great play).

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Really? What do you know ?

With 3 young QB in the division and we’ve seen Darnold & Allen incredibly confused against Patriots last season Belichick has shown his plan.

He drafted a SS who is freakishly athletic who can play near the line but unlike Chung now can turn his back and run - oh, and as a bonus he’s an elite return man.

Josh Uche is an attacker but likewise can stay with TE and cover - you have Winovich his buddy and college teammate on the other side and they are coming for you. You can also stunt and out Hightower at rhe edge.

Speaking of Edge it looks like Jennings is capable of setting it or heading North after the QB.

With elite cover corners like Gilmour and highly thought of Jones & Jackson, Belichick objective is to reduce time and increase anxiety.

A heavy weighted 3-4 D allows 8 off the line defenders with many the quickness and moves to come after the Darnolds.

You need the players to attack and they drafted them - but how many and from where and Belichick will know the soft spots on the line

I love what he did with his first 3 picks as they all fit what I wanted - I f***ing hate bend and break UNLESS you have Tom Brady and Tom Brady ain’t walking thru that door unless he’s got the wrong locker room

thank you Bill for thinking like me (Hockey is my third sport but football is two )

All great points....we've texted for three months about giving Stidham a couple TE who can catch, some beef in the middle of the OL and defenders who are fast and cause havoc...that LB unit needed an infusion big time, and safety is huge in this scheme. Well done from my point of view...

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
This may be the greatest rookie class in Patriots history in terms of facial hair.

Oh yeah. The mustache game of this draft class is on point. The 1970s are back! All they need to do now is match Winovich by getting some flowing hair.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

From what I saw, kid has a strong arm and poise in the pocket when under pressure which is good. He also can make plays with his legs. One thing I will say that kind of worries me is it seems to try and force some balls in tight coverage that could have ended up as picks. But with some time learning under Bill and Josh, who knows.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
All great points....we've texted for three months about giving Stidham a couple TE who can catch, some beef in the middle of the OL and defenders who are fast and cause havoc...that LB unit needed an infusion big time, and safety is huge in this scheme. Well done from my point of view...
Charlie Casserly just asked by the great Chris Rose on post draft show on NFL Network who was your favorite day 3 pick

TE Harrison Bryant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad