Patriots/NFL Patriots select safety Kyle Dugger out of Division II Lenoir-Rhyne at No. 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Well Winston is going to have to pick up the NO system right. How is Hoyer the only QB in football that can play our system.
The Saints are signing Winston to sit for a year behind Drew Brees.

I don't believe Winston would have been content sitting behind Jarrett Stidham.

Beyond that, there was no way the Patriots would EVER sign Winston for the same reasons they would never have drafted Jordan Love. They don't like QBs who turn the ball over.

Reactions: rfournier103

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Saints are signing Winston to sit for a year behind Drew Brees.

I don't believe Winston would have been content sitting behind Jarrett Stidham.

Beyond that, there was no way the Patriots would EVER sign Winston for the same reasons they would never have drafted Jordan Love. They don't like QBs who turn the ball over.

what happens if Jared Stidham starts turning the ball over, Hoyer the rest of the way? Also a much better chance Winston plays behind Stidham than Brees.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
what happens if Jared Stidham starts turning the ball over, Hoyer the rest of the way?
Maybe. Maybe they bring back Cody Kessler and start him. Or maybe they're patient with a young QB they clearly like and won't hold him to a Brady-like standard of play in his 2nd season.

Either way, I'm fairly certain they won't be bringing in turnover-prone, inaccurate QBs on a one-year deal for significant money in a bleep show of an off-season when they'll likely struggle to pick up the offense in time.

I'm not saying that Jarrett Stidham is the new Tom Brady. There will be bumps in the road. But I think he's clearly got NFL-caliber talent. Given the cap situation, and the roster makeup, it just makes sense to give him a shot and see if he might be the guy. If it doesn't work out, you can go sign a high-priced QB or draft a QB in the 1st round next year.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Maybe. Maybe they bring back Cody Kessler and start him. Or maybe they're patient with a young QB they clearly like and won't hold him to a Brady-like standard of play in his 2nd season.

Either way, I'm fairly certain they won't be bringing in turnover-prone, inaccurate QBs on a one-year deal for significant money in a bleep show of an off-season when they'll likely struggle to pick up the offense in time.

I'm not saying that Jarrett Stidham is the new Tom Brady. There will be bumps in the road. But I think he's clearly got NFL-caliber talent. Given the cap situation, and the roster makeup, it just makes sense to give him a shot and see if he might be the guy. If it doesn't work out, you can go sign a high-priced QB or draft a QB in the 1st round next year.

I think Stidham will have a short leash if he implodes early. In case that happens, they should have a prospect they can develop this year instead of wasting a whole year with hoyer. Winston on a 1 yr deal wasn't a risk at all if they didnt draft a QB

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
They clearly think Stidham is their guy. If you get to a point where you need your backup I don't think it matters who that is. You're not going on to have a great year. This is the year they evaluate Stidham and if it goes downhill they take a QB next year.

What happened with the Titans when they inserted average Tannehill is very rare. The rest of the playoff teams last year were guided by the #1 QB at start of the year.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Why bring in another quarterback who has no experience in this system and can’t get any offseason reps in learning the system? With how things are today I’d rather go with Stidham and Hoyer. Two guys who know this system.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Ya I think Hoyer blows but don't care if he is backup QB. With the Colts drafting Eason, Brissett could be worth exploring but my guess is the Colts still want him as the backup this year.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Why bring in another quarterback who has no experience in this system and can’t get any offseason reps in learning the system? With how things are today I’d rather go with Stidham and Hoyer. Two guys who know this system.

just in case both these guys show they aren't ready in preseason or first few weeks of the season

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I think Stidham will have a short leash if he implodes early. In case that happens, they should have a prospect they can develop this year instead of wasting a whole year with hoyer. Winston on a 1 yr deal wasn't a risk at all if they didnt draft a QB
Stidham IS the prospect they're developing this year. They know him better than anyone. They know where he stands in comparison to guys like Garoppolo and Brissett. They didn't give those guys more than they could handle, and they'll do the same with Stidham.

There's no one they were going to draft in the 3rd or 4th rounds who would have been able to come in after a shorted off-season and save the season if Jarett Stidham "implodes". He's their guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->