Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Simple test to see if Laine would benefit from a better centre: play him on the first line with Schiefele and Wheeler and see if he goes on a tear. Of course, he's spent a lot of time with our best offensive players on the power play and nothing has happened for quite some time.

In other words, I really don't think a different number 2 centre will make much difference. I'd love to see Duchene on the Jets, more for what he can do on his own rather than him igniting Laine. As for Laine, he's a one-trick pony who needs to develop different ways to score... primarily from different positions on the ice. Up close. In the slot. On the opposite side. Everybody has figured out his one-timer from the circle.
If you have watched some Jets games lately, then you should know that nothing is working on the PP. Does it mean that Scheifele and Wheeler are one trick ponies as well? Because they get scored on more than they score at ES.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If you have watched some Jets games lately, then you should know that nothing is working on the PP. Does it mean that Scheifele and Wheeler are one trick ponies as well? Because they get scored on more than they score at ES.
Wheeler has 2 tricks 1. Drive hard to the net 2. Dish from the half wall

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Practice reports fail to excite me as much as they do PomPom PoMo.

Always amazed how quick he is to praise his players, specially for practice.

With respect, I disagree with the inference that practices are meaningless. Practice performance is a great acid test/reflection of what's going on in a player's head - and for younger players are a reliable indicator of putative performance. Its reality, not BS. The correlation is straightforward.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Laine turning it around would coincide nicely with the team as a whole turning it around. Despite the positive position in the standings, the last several games I've watched have been troubling.

Laine's shot hasn't looked special lately, I can't really put my finger on why. Just doesn't seem like it can go in from anywhere like it used to.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Laine turning it around would coincide nicely with the team as a whole turning it around. Despite the positive position in the standings, the last several games I've watched have been troubling.

Laine's shot hasn't looked special lately, I can't really put my finger on why. Just doesn't seem like it can go in from anywhere like it used to.

I wouldn't worry about Laine's shot --it's like a golfer, who's swing is not right, and he's not hitting the fairway. That golfer will tweak and work on his swing until it comes back to where he wants it. The same with a home run hitter in baseball. With these types of players it's all eye hand coordination, and that's something you either have, or you don't. You can't teach that kind of thing. Laine will get his shot firing again, but will the rest of his game improve ?? --that's the big question in my mind.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

I wouldn't worry about Laine's shot --it's like a golfer, who's swing is not right, and he's not hitting the fairway. That golfer will tweak and work on his swing until it comes back to where he wants it. The same with a home run hitter in baseball. With these types of players it's all eye hand coordination, and that's something you have or you don't. Laine will get his shot firing again, but will the rest of his game improve ??
Nope, 20 year olds games never get better, it's all down hill from here.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
How hard would it be to copy the Washington PP and just execute that? Jets have the players & skill to do it.

Well, i guess what they're doing is quite close already. A lot of the PP's crappiness could come from the fact that 1. Laine does not trust himself 2. Thus no one else trusts him either.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I don't get these trade rumours at all.

1) Why sell low?

2) We know 20 year-olds are rarely any kind of finished players, and the team has done their best to develop Laine while sacrificing his numbers, playing him with a defense-oriented center and a random assortment of shoot-first wingers.

3) Laine is still one of the best goal-scorers ever for his age, even when slumping and playing low minutes on a dysfunctional line

I get why fans might say stuff like this but professional hockey guys? Slightly embarrassing.

---

I waaant the tradeeee deadlineee alreaddyyyyyy. Last time Laine broke the teenage point-streak record when Stastny arrived. Hopefully we get something similar this time.

Nothing is really going on right now with the team. No lineup changes, no experimentation, nothing (unless you call ruining both PP units experimentation). Playoff spot all but secured. Thus I've been taking a break from here as well.

I think Laine is breaking out of his mental funk. Heads will start rolling soon probably, and if not, we shall commence the head-rolling next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You don't fix this by trading him, you fix him by sitting him down at the end of year and getting him to right development path.

Reactions: Mbraunm

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
With respect, I disagree with the inference that practices are meaningless. Practice performance is a great acid test/reflection of what's going on in a player's head - and for younger players are a reliable indicator of putative performance. Its reality, not BS. The correlation is straightforward.

My comment was directed at how PoMo was praising Laine for his shot in practice... Not that practice are meaningless or BS (not sure how you got that). I think they should practice more.

PoMo pumps player tires too much or spins things, that as the intention of my comments.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
If someone is having an acute case of hysteria, please remember, this is Laine's highest scoring season (25 goals) at the 50 game mark.

It's not like we haven't been here before (except LLR can't even defend, which ELL could).

Guess what always happens.

--

And you don't build a cruise ship overnight. Those calling for some kind of training regiment change haven't even seen the finished product yet.

It's gonna take time.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Practice reports fail to excite me as much as they do PomPom PoMo.

Always amazed how quick he is to praise his players, specially for practice.
Yeah, he should spend more time throwing them under the bus, they love that. Maybe he should take a page from Torts book and say he thinks Laine doesn't know how to play. Works well for him. :shakehead

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
Yeah, he should spend more time throwing them under the bus, they love that. Maybe he should take a page from Torts book and say he thinks Laine doesn't know how to play. Works well for him. :shakehead

Again, is that what I said? I am not saying he should tear them down at all (not sure how you get that).

I find Maurice's quick praise of players for a good game or practice unnecessary, I hope that is clear.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
All I want to say, thanks to all mods that have been in this almost teenagers ride and being stable and keeping reasonably all this things. Without you, thing would blow like the oilers (sorry if there's a fan reading). This year's been and all kinda weird, bias is on hell of drug. There's my stupid pectulation in the media. Let's just see what happens. I've been a Winnipeg fan like 20, which Selänne made, to be honest, a fow more guys too. Not gonna happen', speaking tranfering Laine to another team lile they do like rumor as hell. If this, would be... it wouldn't don't beleave in this. Until you really anti-patrik and don't want the best team to be well.

Laine has been always prime time. And I'm sick or those fortnine streams. Seriously. Can't do much training, need rest is in valide since he still clocks enough for close teen. And what they mock us, some game that play a fame, it not just man going to extremes like twitch ganer, I'd all the bullshit on this gaming it's not even by md:s said it's no bad with his ours. Laine may well play a lot for layman, but you know, if a slubm. He also...what is funny? I started this actually...forgot why, so please don't bite. Laine is a diamond in rough, still. So I woud plie people in Winnipeg to stay a support rather ridiciling the confidence if he has any right now. You seen formers seasons with him. Anoth wall of text. I don't know how he's coached, in NHL, but... I want't so see him rising at least in the playff, because we're gonne need evething. Tampa is a light a lighnign for a long time so, if we have to have anythin of chance... It need to click in everything.

P.s. Sorry for the novel, just thinking, which is making us sinking. Not out of playoffs but... we are sopposed to be contenders for the cup, sadly even I can't spin it in a another universum portal. But still all good, though if Niku, Vesalainen etc. leave... loosing the feeling. 'Cos I miss that "little" thank of Army being a tank. Hope thinks get better. I have faith in the tean, but someone who's not playing, don't. Sorry sorry sorrys the wall of text. No need rude still, just flyby!

p.p.s. I have an eyecondition, and tired. But I'm also tired of Patrik thing. Sure of should be hella WTF if he left Winnipeg. But what do I know. (but a reminder, we're got some serious shit to be done for the Cup) Some bondhockey team they might try to win it also, anyone heard of Lighning?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad