Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I never see much talk about his saucer passes. On the pp he sends quite a few of those. They go right over opposition sticks and land flat right in front of the intended line mate. He does this over and over.

Really underrated part of his game.

Reactions: Naturaledge

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
He was pretty good in his own end today, i thought. Should've maybe shot instead of trying to pass to Little ....but that pass was good too.

No he wasn't- if fact, the whole line was not good in their own end.

But I agree on the passing decision - should have shot both times.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Weird stat
Laine has scored in 11 games.
That's 41% of the games.
If he scored 1 goal in 41% that would be 33 ish on the season.

However, he's averaging 1.91 goals per "game with goal". Which puts him hitting 63 goals on the year.

So what's sustainable? Scoring 2 goals per game-with-goal, or scoring in less than half the games?

Comps
Skinner/Point == 20 in 15 of 28 (1.33, 54%)
Ovechkin ====== 19 in 14 of 26 (1.36, 54%)

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Having now gone three games without scoring, it'll only be 0-2 games until he returns to his scoring ways. :nod:

I must say it's always a disappointment when he first looks like a superstar, a force of nature, scoring at will for several games and then returns to looking rather pedestrian for a stretch of games. Granted, he's only 20 still so that could change in the coming years but it's quite frustrating to watch when you're often thinking he could be so much more.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Having now gone three games without scoring, it'll only be 0-2 games until he returns to his scoring ways. :nod:

I must say it's always a disappointment when he first looks like a superstar, a force of nature, scoring at will for several games and then returns to looking rather pedestrian for a stretch of games. Granted, he's only 20 still so that could change in the coming years but it's quite frustrating to watch when you're often thinking he could be so much more.

That's how it has been over his entire career this far. "Slump" of 3+ goalless games is nothing. He has already 19 of those (17 in regular seasons and 2 in playoffs combined).

12 of those have been 4GP or longer (11 in regular seasons), longest being 7GP (twice).

When a "slump" extends to 6 or 7 games we have some reasons to become concerned, and it's highly probable we will hear about those concerns from Patrik himself.

It is just as normal as ever, currently.

His pace over career is 0.555 G/PG. His career has been very consistent goal scoring-wise, particularly when considering high amount of multi-goal games it include.

Like it would be somehow weird him not scoring in three games, but it's normal he score 11G in 4GP. In longer run we can expect slightly above 0.5 GPG production level from him. His career sample is already enough big to make that generalization. Everything OK under the sun.

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
That's how it has been over his entire career this far. "Slump" of 3+ goalless games is nothing. He has already 19 of those (17 in regular seasons and 2 in playoffs combined).

12 of those have been 4GP or longer (11 in regular seasons), longest being 7GP (twice).

When a "slump" extends to 6 or 7 games we have some reasons to become concerned, and it's highly probable we will hear about those concerns from Patrik himself.

His pace over career is 0.555 G/PG. His career has been very consistent goal scoring-wise, particularly when considering high amount of multi-goal games it include.

Like it would be somehow weird him not scoring in three games, but it's normal he score 11G in 4GP. In longer run we can expect slightly above 0.5 GPG production level from him. His career sample is already enough big to make that generalization. Everything OK under the sun.
I wasn't saying there's something wrong (we all know how his scoring fluctuates by know), but I feel like the tone I aimed for did not come across correctly.

The gist of what I was trying to convey was that when Laine's not scoring, he doesn't look like "the other superstars" out there. At least for now. And that I'm hoping that might change in the coming years as he matures as a player.

That's all.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

A bit strange thinking here in my opinion. He is a 20 year old whom is probably about three years away from his prime and physically still quite raw. And we also know that he has so far not been used in an optimal role and with optimal ice time. Maybe he wouldn’t be even physically up to it right now, but in three years I have no doubt that he will be playing in the first line and about 20 minutes per game. And being also then in his prime physically and also as a player, I seriously find it hard to believe that his numbers wouldn’t have become quite clearly better than they have so far been in his career. Just look at his training partner Mikko Rantanen, whom scored 39 points when he was the age that Laine is now.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I wasn't saying there's something wrong (we all know how his scoring fluctuates by know), but I feel like the tone I aimed for did not come across correctly.

The gist of what I was trying to convey was that when Laine's not scoring, he doesn't look like "the other superstars" out there. At least for now. And that I'm hoping that might change in the coming years as he matures as a player.

That's all.

No problems. Not sure is my own tone always what I'd like it to be either. :)

Patty's career goal scoring pattern game-by-game:

1003002000011300010000001210100001010001100110000031102101000100010000200 - 0101002000011111001010000111100001110000000110010110101001111202231110020000000100 -

Streaks 2+ games green
Slumps 3+ games red

He has more 3+ games goalless periods in his career than he have consecutive 2 games without goal, and because of that, 3 or more goalless games is more typical for him. Typical goalless "slump" for him is still longer than three games: 4GP, total 9 times in his career (when we do not go over different seasons).

Slumps (3 or more): 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7
Median 4 GP, Average 4.17 GP

Streaks: (3 or more): 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6
Median: 3-4GP, Average 3.9GP

Anyway, goals scored in all consecutive goal scoring games is 68G and when there are total 95 consecutive goalless games in his career (i.e. min 2 goalless games with/without a goal), thus on average he is more "slumpy" than "streaky". But when he is in his relatively short goal scoring streaks, he has high tendency to go over-the-top. Only one of his career hat tricks isn't part of any kind streak (not even a part of a point scoring streak).

But, I don't personally consider 3GP goalless period as "slump". :)

Last edited:

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Friggin Matthews come back from injury and is tearing it up again. He's going to hit 100 goals in fewer games than Laine at this rate. f***er. :mad:

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
I think it is safe to say that Laine should never pass. The fact that he only has 3 assists is criminal.

I've seen all the games, and seen him serve up atleast a dozen sure-fire goal-scoring opportunities to his linemates, and none of them have been converted.

At that point, as Laine, you just have to acknowledge that you need to do it on your own. Little is not a goal scorer at this point, and Ehlers is extremely streaky and you never truly know when he will be "on".

Even Connor today (and in his past few games) was blowing chances that were basically just tap-ins. Otherwise he is a fairly reliable finisher, though, along with Scheif and Laine, probably the top 3.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think it is safe to say that Laine should never pass. The fact that he only has 3 assists is criminal.

I've seen all the games, and seen him serve up atleast a dozen sure-fire goal-scoring opportunities to his linemates, and none of them have been converted.

At that point, as Laine, you just have to acknowledge that you need to do it on your own. Little is not a goal scorer at this point, and Ehlers is extremely streaky and you never truly know when he will be "on".

Even Connor today (and in his past few games) was blowing chances that were basically just tap-ins. Otherwise he is a fairly reliable finisher, though, along with Scheif and Laine, probably the top 3.
He has 3 assists too many. All goals all the time.

Reactions: Spock and BullLund

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

He'll never be an assist guy - most of his points will come from scoring.
But you don't want to remove the pass threat on the opportunities where he's breaking in with another skater and the pass is an option.
His line mates are quite capable of scoring - I'd hope they continue to work off each other in creating chances for all 3.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
He'll never be an assist guy - most of his points will come from scoring.
But you don't want to remove the pass threat on the opportunities where he's breaking in with another skater and the pass is an option.
His line mates are quite capable of scoring - I'd hope they continue to work off each other in creating chances for all 3.

The thing is that Laine's shots in almost 90% of the cases result in rebounds, so him taking the shot during a break-away is always a valid option.

If his shot was less potent than it is, then yeah, I would agree that he should explore other options more. But right now I don't see any reason why he shouldn't just keep shooting. The goalies seem to have a great difficulty in handling his shots, resulting in opportunities for the other players.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Friggin Matthews come back from injury and is tearing it up again. He's going to hit 100 goals in fewer games than Laine at this rate. ****er. :mad:

Hey I'm a Leafs fan but even I'm pumping the brakes a little. He's shooting 30% right now and that ain't going to last. All of his goals have also come in ten games so that's not sustainable and there is some underlying streakiness there that just hasn't shown up yet because of the small sample size.

When all said and done this season I still expect Laine to have more goals, and it'll be close in seasons where both are healthy.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The thing is that Laine's shots in almost 90% of the cases result in rebounds, so him taking the shot during a break-away is always a valid option.

If his shot was less potent than it is, then yeah, I would agree that he should explore other options more. But right now I don't see any reason why he shouldn't just keep shooting. The goalies seem to have a great difficulty in handling his shots, resulting in opportunities for the other players.

I'm not suggesting he explore other options - passing the puck to a team mate should always be an option - that's all I'm saying.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Laine is playing his best hockey at the moment. He is now contributing without goals also. And we all know that Laine is score. He is not pphysically very mature. But generating chances like a superstar.

Reactions: Ippenator

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
What is Laine’s shot attempt /goal pct? Missed net or posts often.

Sthru%= 58.7%

58.7% of his all shots are SOGs. Excellent thing considering it's better than previous seasons' 56.7% and 51.7%, combined with increased shooting volume ~3.9 SOG/GP currently (it was 2.94 SOG/GP last season), while shooting% remain same level (or higher as it is currently).

Translation to that: Statistically that means same as...

MORE GOALS! :)

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

He is vastly underrated for his setups and passing.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I'm not suggesting he explore other options - passing the puck to a team mate should always be an option - that's all I'm saying.

Well he had 2 great chances to shoot in one shift at the end of 3rd and he opted to pass.

Coach should go tell him immediately "when you are that open and your second option is not 55, don't pass, take the shot yourself because it's more likely a goal than trying to serve 18 on a platter would be".

Laine might be feeling "guilty" for scoring so much, he doesn't want people to think he is selfish. He should know, that it's not selfish if he chooses the play that is most likely to help the team. In his case it's almost always shoot.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Well he had 2 great chances to shoot in one shift at the end of 3rd and he opted to pass.

Coach should go tell him immediately "when you are that open and your second option is not 55, don't pass, take the shot yourself because it's more likely a goal than trying to serve 18 on a platter would be".

Laine might be feeling "guilty" for scoring so much, he doesn't want people to think he is selfish. He should know, that it's not selfish if he chooses the play that is most likely to help the team. In his case it's almost always shoot.

I agree, he should have shot on both the passes you refer to.

I was referring more to passing in general terms as per my post:

"Passing the puck to a team mate should always be an option"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad