Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
In light of the 5 goal game, maybe in the current circumstances people can behave and prevent this thread from being locked...

Mod warnings from the last thread:
The warnings from prior threads remain in place. Violating the rules equals a swift removal from the discussion. Refrain from discussing line combos in this thread; other threads exist for that.

Anyways starting to look good again. Hopefully he will ditch his current offseason training program that many posters here predicted would hold him back to start the season and they were right. Would love for him to train with Gary Roberts next summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LAINEC and GNP

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Looking good for Laine. Chemistry woes are behind us. He just needed one guy to be on the same page and now they all are in on the plays. Great to watch.

This will continue, and this time he has 60 games to rack them up, unlike last year pretty late when Stastny came in.

Put him and KC with Chef and nothing but injurys can stop the Jets from hoisting the cup.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
And for those who were complaining earlier in the year about ice time, here's his ice time the last 5 games:

19:36
17:25
21:00
15:10 (Wild game full of PK time)
18:43

Almost as if the coach doesn't have anything personal against him and gives him more icetime when he is playing well.

(Mod)

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
And for those who were complaining earlier in the year about ice time, here's his ice time the last 5 games:

Almost as if the coach doesn't have anything personal against him and gives him more icetime when he is playing well.

And those times could / should easily increase if the line continues to dominate.

Reactions: Tommigun

Get Bengt

Forging a Stanley Cup champ 1 whiny post at a time
Mar 31, 2018
Winnipeg
Most goals in November - all-time:
18:
Wayne Gretzky, 1981 (13 gms)
Mike Bossy, 1980 (14 gms)
17:
Steve Yzerman, 1988 (13 gms)
Bernie Nicholls, 1988 (14 gms)
16:
Patrik Laine, 2018 (10 gms)*
Sheve Shutt, 1976 (13 gms)
Jari Kurri, 1983 (13 gms)
Wayne Gretzky, 1983 (13 gms)
Charlie Simmer, 1980 (14 gms)
Tim Kerr, 1985 (14 gms)
Pavel Bure, 1992 (15 gms)
Tim Kerr, 1988 (16 gms)
* through Nov. 25

#29 - despite his team playing fewer games than ANY of the others on the list, and in a low-scoring era - has a legit shot at the all-time record for goals in November. I for one will be cheering extra hard for him these last two home games.

Yah, it’s somewhat of an invented record. But this kid goes on tears this league has never seen. He had a run almost as crazy as this last year, too.

I predict that, decades from now, those of us who are still around will brag about having watched this kid play in our city.

P.S. Teemu scored 20 in March of his magical rookie year. Not sure if that’s the NHL record for ANY month or not - but it should at least be close.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Laine's future is so bright he has to wear sunglasses. :thumbu:

images

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's obvious that Connor is the catalyst here that got him going. The shit thing about that is they are both due for contracts this off season.... if they keep this up. Good luck Chevy.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
qA6FYdw.png

jDnM0kJ.png

Up to date. Goal scoring chart for the season is yet early version.

It was very nice to make this update. After somewhat slow start Patrik somehow managed to fix everything above his longer term career averages, producing his best start of the season up to 22 GP. That last monster 5G/5SOG game had even visible impact to his Career S% curve (that doesn't change fast due already big sample), and his Season S% sky rocketed far above that, G/GP pace trajectory made hyper jump totally different plane of stratospheric existence, and allegedly ugly PP goals/EV goals ratio was fixed in way that not even hardcore Crosby fan can find anything to complain about it. Hatty/GP and GWG/GP paces reached to new heights, while shot distribution on a shooting location chart doesn't leave much for hoping...

...and this all seemed to be for Jets Master Gunner Sergeant Patrik Laine like just another few casual days in the office.

Go Patrik Go! :yo:

// #happyfanwithhobby

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
This November sure goes into history books. There's nice NHL hockey trivia question for future generations: Who has scored a hat trick in three different countries within one month?
Another twist is that all were away games.

Huge thanks to Se829ne (nice Selanne-Laine nick!). I've been lurker here for ages (finally decided to register a nick), and last couple of season have really enjoyed your charts!

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
$72M over 8 ...please?
This one will be a headache because he also needs lot of $$ around him to set him up. Connor will be more expensive by bridging too.

I still believe that Jets made a mistake with Wheelers deal because they are so winger stacked. They would have much more options if Wheeler would have been signed (or not) later. Now it seems that Ehlers has to go..

Reactions: tacogeoff

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Patty's increasing shooting volume is very good thing too, and when it seems to be accompanied with high shooting percentage it's just great thing, as it means that his average shot quality isn't decreasing even he takes more shots on goal. We can expect more goals.

Accuracy has actually increased both measures against SOG, but also in ratio SOG/TSA = Sthru%, in other words, larger proportion of his all shot attempts are currently SOGs - all situations and even strength , and even if not career high, also better in PPs than last season. Small sample for this season hinder making any deeper conclusings, but combined with his career curriculum, there are nothing to be concerned about.

His shooting quality and accuracy are very good, and nothing indicate that established trend in this matter would be changing.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
In light of the 5 goal game, maybe in the current circumstances people can behave and prevent this thread from being locked...

Mod warnings from the last thread:

Anyways starting to look good again. Hopefully he will ditch his current offseason training program that many posters here predicted would hold him back to start the season and they were right. Would love for him to train with Gary Roberts next summer.
So seriously, you think Mikko Rantanen would be where he is right now, if he wasn’t training with Rautala? And please don’t continue spreading false information about Rantanen not training anymore last summer with Rautala, when he trained all summer in Rautala’s group at the same time with Laine. I will post an article here too about how Rantanen practiced the whole summer in the same group with Laine, when I have time to translate it to English.

The truth is that Rantanen is where he is this season because of being finished already with the more intensive strength and conditioning training, and concentrating more in the explosive power for his legs and doing some light skating training during August, the same way as Laine was doing in fact already. Laine is just right now practically three years behind of Rantanen with his physical training with Rautala. They have two years of age difference and Rantanen started one year earlier to train with Rautala.

I have said numerous times that it is a multi-year program that will give huge benefits in general when they get it all done. Rantanen is getting closer to the end of that plan and he is now getting to reap real results from the training. Laine is still at the physical phase where Rantanen was three years ago, when he was playing still in the AHL and won the rookie of the year award there. He was not any kind of a physical beast yet though. Even the next season after that he was not even close there. Getting 39 points as an NHL rookie and being way behind in development compared to what Laine is now, when Laine is the same age as Rantanen was then.

I will not be debating about this subject anymore than this, but I will just finish with saying that in three years Laine will be an absofeckinglutely crazy monster compared to what he is now. And even now he is looking pretty darn good! Just wait and see...

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This one will be a headache because he also needs lot of $$ around him to set him up. Connor will be more expensive by bridging too.

I still believe that Jets made a mistake with Wheelers deal because they are so winger stacked. They would have much more options if Wheeler would have been signed (or not) later. Now it seems that Ehlers has to go..
The alternative would have been to have the upheaval of Wheeler playing out his contract this season, and then very possibly leaving the Jets before next season. Laine is good, but he can't play 40 minutes a night and our 3RW is Tanev. Perreault could fill in I suppose, but he's not been that durable.

With the Jets being in their contender window, they are going to have to make some compromises lower in the line-up, and defer some of the costs to the future through bridge contracts. That's the way most perennial contenders have had to manage things.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So seriously, you think Mikko Rantanen would be where he is right now, if he wasn’t training with Rautala? And please don’t continue spreading false information about Rantanen not training anymore last summer with Rautala, when he trained all summer in Rautala’s group at the same time with Laine. I will post an article here too about how Rantanen practices the whole summer in the same group with Laine, when I have time to translate it to English.

The truth is that Rantanen is where he is this season because of being finished already with the more intensive strength and conditioning training, and concentrating more in the explosive power for his legs and doing some light skating training during August, the same way as Laine was doing. Laine is just right now practically three years behind of Rantanen with his physical training with Rautala. They have two years of age difference and Rantanen started one year earlier to train with Rautala.

I have said numerous times that it is a multi year program that will give huge benefits in general when they get it all done. Rantanen is getting closer to the end of thst plan and he is now getting to real real results from the training. Laine is still at the phase where Rantanen was three years ago, when he was playing still in the AHL and won the rookie of the year award there. He was not any kind of a physical beast yet though. Even the next seasonqfter that he was not even close there. Getting 39 points as an NHL rookie and being way behind in development compared to what Laine is now, when Laine is the same age as Rantanen was then.

I will not be debating about this subject anymore than this, but I will just finish with saying that in three years Laine will be an absofeckinglutely crazy monster compared to what he is now. And even now he is looking pretty darn good! Just wait and see...
I think there are lots of good trainers around the world and a talented, physically imposing athlete that works hard will optimize their performance with diverse good trainers. How do I know this? Because the NHL is fully of high-end athletes that have developed top-end strength and conditioning.

Reactions: Kratti

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think there are lots of good trainers around the world and a talented, physically imposing athlete that works hard will optimize their performance with diverse good trainers. How do I know this? Because the NHL is fully of high-end athletes that have developed top-end strength and conditioning.
Just look at Rantanen and you should realize that Laine is training with a great trainer. Also get a bit familiar with the progress with Rantanen’s development on an annual basis, and you should get a better general understanding of the situation. No use to anyway change something that is working extremely well to something that we can’t know for sure to work any better. I really recommend to study thoroughly the development of Rantanen.

And btw, there is not a physically better conditioned player in the NHL than Rantanen is at the moment. He is a new Jagr with his strength and conditioning. I seriously recommend to watch at least several full games of how he is playing nowadays. A huge difference physically especially from last season.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

I have never ever suggested conspiracy regarding TOI, just that it's unbelievable how low it has been on average 17-18 and also this season. I don't really think Maurice is malicous. Just incompetent.

Things are looking obviously much better right now. On that Wild game btw., they would still be able to use CLL much more regardless those penalties, but that has nothing to with any conspiracy theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->