Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
No one can be at 100% all the time, even if it was an office job. People focus more to impress new co-workers, when something big is on the line etc. If Laine managed to do that constantly, ie ~20 goal months all the time, he’d become the greatest goal scorer ever in just a few seasons :P

I also think that Laine’s biggest problem is not his skating, defensive play or such but his inconsistency. The good news is that young players struggle with that the most, and it gets better with age.

82 games season + playoffs with lots of travel is also very physically and mentally demanding. Laine is still adjusting to that schedule which clearly shows, so I think that’s part of it too. I really don’t believe it is laziness at all, but rather that the adjustment in his line mates just gives an extra spark, something that breaks the norm.
Can you tell me a highly talentet player who had such a perfomance drop like Laine now? Examples?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
There are no Winnipeg Jet fans booing Patrik Laine. What you will hear is a collective groan from the fans, when yet again, Patrik makes a poor play in the defensive zone.
Booing = unacceptable and not being done.
Collective groan- completely acceptable, I do it myself. The fans are not robots. Especially our fans.
Why doesn’t this happen with any of wheelers gaffs in the same situation? He makes many as well then two games ago takes a penalty when he coughs it up. $9 million and captain.

The expectations for laine are out of hand.

Reactions: bisonbutt

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah, that must be terrible, being saddled with a guy like Bryan Little.

Hate to break it to you, but right now Little is a better overall hockey player than Laine is. Hell Tanev is outshining Laine right now.
Tanev? In what? Energy? Is that how we judge players now? Guess league leading scorers don’t shine as much.

Reactions: bisonbutt

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
My God...little with 25 points(9 goals) is a better player any time than someone with over 20 goals this season and over a 100 goals in 2 1/2 seasons!!!...little has ..what 500 points in 11 seasons which works out to under 50 points a season!..hockey pundits all across the board have said what the jets need is a second line centre at the trade deadline for the second or third year in a row and that is why?
People need to stop taking offense to the idea of an upgrade at 2c. Chevy sees it and pretty much every hockey writer sees it.

It’s not a knock on Bryan, it’s just what we need to do to be a strong contender.

Reactions: GNP

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
People need to stop taking offense to the idea of an upgrade at 2c. Chevy sees it and pretty much every hockey writer sees it.

It’s not a knock on Bryan, it’s just what we need to do to be a strong contender.
There's a big difference between saying "the Jets would be real contenders if they had a high end #2 centre" and "Little is to blame for Laine's struggles". Little isn't perfect, but he's far from the reason Laine is struggling. Mentioning Little in a Laine thread will always come off as a poor excuse.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There's a big difference between saying "the Jets would be real contenders if they had a high end #2 centre" and "Little is to blame for Laine's struggles". Little isn't perfect, but he's far from the reason Laine is struggling. Mentioning Little in a Laine thread will always come off as a poor excuse.

Yep 100%. We just need stronger center depth. We needed it last year too and nothing has changed this year for us to not need another center. Little is good but we are a deeper team and easily better team with a stronger 2C like Duchene or Schenn.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
My God...little with 25 points(9 goals) is a better player any time than someone with over 20 goals this season and over a 100 goals in 2 1/2 seasons!!!...little has ..what 500 points in 11 seasons which works out to under 50 points a season!..hockey pundits all across the board have said what the jets need is a second line centre at the trade deadline for the second or third year in a row and that is why?
They could use a 2nd line LW/RW too, right about now.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Why doesn’t this happen with any of wheelers gaffs in the same situation? He makes many as well then two games ago takes a penalty when he coughs it up. $9 million and captain.

The expectations for laine are out of hand.
Sure, Wheeler screws up too, so does everyone. What's the rest of his game look like compared to Laine's though?

The reason Laine's seemingly lack of effort annoys me so much is because we've all seen how good he actually can be.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Agreed but it's kind of a reaction to the other side that try and blame laine for every little thing unfortunately the ppl that get reactions are the " little is a 4th line C and laine is a 1 dimensional floater" if both those groups grew up had patience and just wait to see what the future holds there wld be a lot more peace but they don't call fans fanatics for nothing and the Internet allows all opinions

Little is fine low end 2 c these days laine is a young phenom learning the nhl game. Both aren't perfect and never will be! But they make this team contenders and we shld appreciate them both

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yep 100%. We just need stronger center depth. We needed it last year too and nothing has changed this year for us to not need another center. Little is good but we are a deeper team and easily better team with a stronger 2C like Duchene or Schenn.
I really hope we give x-Scheifele-Laine and x-Little-Wheeler a shot before spending a 1st+ at the TDL again.

Of the two I think Duchene would be better but likely a pure rental whereas Schenn has another year. I like Schenn but always seen him as of a shooter and player with jam/physicality. I dont know about his defensive game as a C in STL but if i recall in Philly there was question about hockey IQ on the defensive end and was up and down the line up as a Wing and a C. Could just be a young player learning the position though.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed but it's kind of a reaction to the other side that try and blame laine for every little thing unfortunately the ppl that get reactions are the " little is a 4th line C and laine is a 1 dimensional floater" if both those groups grew up had patience and just wait to see what the future holds there wld be a lot more peace but they don't call fans fanatics for nothing and the Internet allows all opinions

Little is fine low end 2 c these days laine is a young phenom learning the nhl game. Both aren't perfect and never will be! But they make this team contenders and we shld appreciate them both

Agreed but neither are above criticism. Both of had moments of poor play this season and it is obvious they don't have much chemistry together and they should be criticized for that poor play. Both have had moments of good play this season and we should be signing their praises when it happens. I'm always going to call out both good and bad play when I see it, no matter who the player is, how popular they are, how great their shot is or how long they have been with our organization.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I really hope we give x-Scheifele-Laine and x-Little-Wheeler a shot before spending a 1st+ at the TDL again.

Of the two I think Duchene would be better but likely a pure rental whereas Schenn has another year. I like Schenn but always seen him as of a shooter and player with jam/physicality. I dont know about his defensive game as a C in STL but if i recall in Philly there was question about hockey IQ on the defensive end and was up and down the line up as a Wing and a C. Could just be a young player learning the position though.

I'm under the assumption that there is a reason that Mo won't play Laine with Scheifele anymore and it probably has more to do with Scheifele's opinions on the matter than Laine's.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
I really doubt Laine is like "nope, not playing with Laine... get that nonsense outta here, Mo!"

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Won't break up Scheif Wheeler because they are one of the best duo's in the NHL.

There is always a possibility that Laine has a nagging injury of some kind. He has 3 hat tricks in 3 different countries this season lol. It's funny how much concern there is on this player. He doesn't look good for the last several weeks that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad