Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
If I remember correctly, the 3rd goals was scored by Little assisted by Ehlers, who wouldn't normally be playing together. So I guess it did.

It should go back to ESW, CLL though.

It was Ehlers-Little-Roslovic. They were taking a shift because the Jets were about to pull the goalie and Laine-Scheifele-Connor-Wheeler were taking the next shift...

Connor Scheifele Wheeler 1 shot for, 6 against -3
Ehlers Little Laine 2 shots for, 4 against

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler 7 shots for, 0 against
Connor Little Laine 3 shots for, 0 against

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think he should receive more bashing for incapability to separate those two. He has one of the most talented forward groups to work with, yet the only tinkering he has done to the 1st line is trying different players on the left wing (and keeping them on a short leash), while playing that line way too much in the long run. Come play off time we'll have an exhausted Wheeler and no clue how other combinations will work if an injury hits Chef or Wheeler.

Connor / Chef / Laine
Ehlers / Little / Wheeler

Laine / Little / Wheeler
Connor / Chef /Ehlers

Laine / Chef / Wheeler
Connor / Little / Ehlers

Ehlers / Chef / Laine
Connor / Little / Wheeler

Those are all interesting combos, but we have barely seen those tried out.

The bold is what worries me. I remember Laviolette last year discussing just this. Even when things are going great and the team is winning, he has to understand what works and what doesn't for when you need to make changes, because you WILL need to make changes.

This is the same mistake we made with Niku (imo), waited until we had to throw him to the wolves instead of working him in with a stable group.

Injuries will happen in the NHL, you should do what you can to be prepared for them.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
It didn't work last game. 1st and 2nd line had nothing to do with the comeback.

I really don't know what we're arguing here, unless it's simply to argue. It's possible that some other line changes could have affected the same result, it's possible that NOT changing the lines could have resulted in a win as well. At the end of the day: the lines were juggled, and the Jets emerged with a 4-3W. The rest is conjecture, as we only have the end result to look at.

I certainly don't like ELL longer term, as I've stated a few times now.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If I remember correctly, the 3rd goals was scored by Little assisted by Ehlers, who wouldn't normally be playing together. So I guess it did.

It should go back to ESW, CLL though.

Yikes -
You'd think anyone watching the game would have noticed who scored the tying goal during a 3 goal comeback 3rd period.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think Maurice takes too much of a bashing around here for keeping 55-26 together, but i have to admit it would be nice to see 18-26 reunited every once in a while.
I can’t speak for everyone. I would just like to see it tried for a while in case we need to know at a critical time like in the playoffs.

If he keeps esw and cll together I’m fine with those lines but I still don’t know if they are optimized.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Yikes -
You'd think anyone watching the game would have noticed who scored the tying goal during a 3 goal comeback 3rd period.

That line combination would have happened regardless of earlier Ehlers/Connor swap... Both lines got worse after the swap <- fact

It was Ehlers-Little-Roslovic. They were taking a shift because the Jets were about to pull the goalie and Laine-Scheifele-Connor-Wheeler were taking the next shift...

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
But they didn't.

I don't think it's the right decision long term, as we've seen the lack of chemistry of ELL, but it worked last game. Anything else is conjecture.

The win had next to nothing to do with 1st or 2nd lines. The bottom lines woke up at the right time like someone already pointed out.

But they didn't -
Most "Jet" fans are pretty happy with the results - big comeback, huge drive in the 3rd, crazy exciting OT - all you would typically wish for in a hockey game (where your team won).
But I'm not really surprised to see a comment like this on this thread.

And the point from between the lines in the begin with was that the team didn't get the points due to Maurice's brilliance. Well yeah, punishing that lines' best player in the game by giving him inferior line mates instead of superior ones usually makes little sense. Then again I'm not really surprised all things considered.

Reactions: Ippenator

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The win had next to nothing to do with 1st or 2nd lines. The bottom lines woke up at the right time like someone already pointed out.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that it's possible that not swapping the lines around could have resulted in a win as well. In the end, the lines got swapped, we got a PP goal to start things off, then a goal by Roslo, then a goal by Little. Can you tell me how much or little I should assign to the lines being swapped?

You're welcome to believe what you want to believe, but it's all conjecture conjecture at this point, other than the final result. The rest of this conversation should be moved to the Roster or Lines thread, as we're not even really discussing Laine (beyond the fact that people feel that HE should have been the one to move to the first line).

Reactions: Psych0dad

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
as we're not even really discussing Laine (beyond the fact that people feel that HE should have been the one to move to the first line).

Him and Connor both. They have much more to show for their ice time than the other wingers. They should be preferred options when trailing. But yeah you are correct, this is more lineup discussion, even if it does touch Laine.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I've resigned myself to recognizing that Laine is only 20 years old, and he still has lots of time to move to first line TOI and linemates. It's difficult though because you have to wonder what he could accomplish with those two things and what that could mean for the Jets. I've listened to Mackenzie, Lebrun etc wonder why the Jets don't utilize him all the way as well.

I'll try really hard to give it one more year before I become annoying with this though.... :)

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I've resigned myself to recognizing that Laine is only 20 years old, and he still has lots of time to move to first line TOI and linemates. It's difficult though because you have to wonder what he could accomplish with those two things and what that could mean for the Jets. I've listened to Mackenzie, Lebrun etc wonder why the Jets don't utilize him all the way as well.

I'll try really hard to give it one more year before I become annoying with this though.... :)

You are far more patient than me, I got annoyed with it when they first put Laine in the 2nd and it wasn't working at all. That was the end half of 16-17 and I have been wondering about it since. Because it defies logic. I think especially in the Vegas series they should have put all the eggs in one basket since they were lacking goals. Yeah, he is only 20 and plenty of time to destroy the league, but there's a possibility that they missed out on the cup last season because they had no backup plan for Vegas series where I would have certainly played Laine more minutes. Lacking goals, play best goal scorer more. Simple stuff.

Of course he has missed some personal hardware in the process (calder, rocket or two), and that might affect his motivation to sign team friendly. That's just my speculation.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You are far more patient than me, I got annoyed with it when they first put Laine in the 2nd and it wasn't working at all. That was the end half of 16-17 and I have been wondering about it since. Because it defies logic. I think especially in the Vegas series they should have put all the eggs in one basket since they were lacking goals. Yeah, he is only 20 and plenty of time to destroy the league, but there's a possibility that they missed out on the cup last season because they had no backup plan for Vegas series where I would have certainly played Laine more minutes. Lacking goals, play best goal scorer more. Simple stuff.

Of course he has missed some personal hardware in the process (calder, rocket or two), and that might affect his motivation to sign team friendly. That's just my speculation.
Altho his love letter to the city came after a lot of that missed hardware.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I really don't know what we're arguing here, unless it's simply to argue. It's possible that some other line changes could have affected the same result, it's possible that NOT changing the lines could have resulted in a win as well. At the end of the day: the lines were juggled, and the Jets emerged with a 4-3W. The rest is conjecture, as we only have the end result to look at.

I certainly don't like ELL longer term, as I've stated a few times now.

I think his data is clear as day. Statistically those new lines were absolutely awful and losing. In that very game.

He posted that in 2 posts above yours:

Shots -7 vs. shots +10, combined.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Wasn't that at the start of his 2nd season?

Not that I put much stock on what people say in public. Smart people (and Laine is one) do not take shots at their management unless they are on the way out and really disgruntled.
No, but in that case you don't say anything. There was no demand for him to write a letter. Most players don't write letters. He choose to. You might be right about the timing, however.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
No, but in that case you don't say anything. There was no demand for him to write a letter. Most players don't write letters. He choose to. You might be right about the timing, however.

Yeah I think these young stars are often asked to provide some content for NHL.com, and Laine is one of them who have agreed to write some stuff every now and then. I always thought it was part of that.

And while I don't doubt that he is happy in Winnipeg, I just doubt he is happy in a lower role than he has the CV for. He is ambitious, not greedy.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think his data is clear as day. Statistically those new lines were absolutely awful and losing. In that very game.

4-3W was the final. Dat's de fact, Jack, and the only stat that matters at the end of the game. :P

Read my posts on this subject in this thread if you want my non-sarcastic reasoning. Or not. :laugh:

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Stop the bickering please. What are you guys even arguing about?
Yeah, how about a nice refreshing debating battle about Laine’s summer training, my dear buddy! Or maybe we wait for next summer when we get bored without any hockey? :D

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Yeah, how about a nice refreshing debating battle about Laine’s summer training, my dear buddy! Or maybe we wait for next summer when we get bored without any hockey? :D

But there we had a clear topic! I honestly don’t know what is being argued right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad