Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
There was a resent interview with Laine in finnish

On the topic of motivating yourself to games
– It’s always nice to play, but it is sometimes a bit difficult to get excited of some Tuesday-night regular season game after that kind of a spring. Afterall the world of payoffs is so different, you don’t have to motivate yourself at all to any of the games.

On the topic of him having a goalless pre-season
– Practice game players are a seperate thing. They put up big points in those games, but when the tough games start nothing happens. I’m not a practice game player myself. There are 75 games still left, so there is no need to stress about goals yet.

And on the topic of ELL lines slow start to the season on 5v5
- It’s been a bit challenging. We have atleast created some opportunities in the last few games. The start was hard, but there has been some good stuff also lately.

Also about differences playing with Stastny and Little
– There shouldn’t basically be any difference. The hockey is always played the same way. You don’t see it that much inside a game what someone does differently. It’s pretty hard to answer to this question.
Link?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
We expect nothing more than his best effort every night - regardless of what line he is on or how he personally feels about his minutes.
Anything less is unexceptable from a pro player who is paid very well to play this game - with a lot more on the horizon.

Tell the fan paying $200 for a seat:
"Mr. Laine is not up to it tonight because he believes his minutes should be increased and his line mates are not really suited to his style"

I really don't believe Laine works or thinks this way - if he is off on any given night, I don't believe it's due to what you are describing.

I can believe that there is a bit of a let down when you come off a high intensity PO series, back to regular season (on a Tuesday night) -
and I also believe he'll grow out of that potential attitude with time.

I'm sure the word you were looking for was "unacceptable". I told you what I saw, a less focused and less interested Laine. Maybe his dog died or something (can't tell really) but in any case, and no matter what I believe in, that player I saw in the other game wasn't the usual him. Nonetheless, whatever the case if they don't like what he brings, just send him to AHL or drop him down to fourth line. It can't really get much worse than this. What a waste of talent.

And what he owes the team? Howabout what they owe to him? Would keeping up with the made promises be a good start, just perhaps?

I'm really not expecting some miracle and see a shake up no matter how much it's needed. Not after the 40+ headaching games last year. The team seems completely incapable of using creativity and even just giving a try for new things.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Tell the fan paying $2000 for a UFC title match only for it to end in a 1min KO. He's human and a top talent with an ego to match, not really his fault the coach is too dumb to realize that.

You honestly think that is a comparable situation?
You're OK with players showing up when they want?
Dragging the coach into this is easy isn't it - you can always rely on this point when you don't have a point

Reactions: probablywrongbut

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
You honestly think that is a comparable situation?
You're OK with players showing up when they want?
Dragging the coach into this is easy isn't it - you can always rely on this point when you don't have a point
Not saying i'm ok with it, i'm saying Laine is a kid and he wants to score. Coach is dumb though and i'm sticking with it.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm sure the word you were looking for was "unacceptable". I told you what I saw, a less focused and less interested Laine. Maybe his dog died or something (can't tell really) but in any case, and no matter what I believe in, that player I saw in the other game wasn't the usual him. Nonetheless, whatever the case if they don't like what he brings, just send him to AHL or drop him down to fourth line. It can't really get much worse than this. What a waste of talent.

And what he owes the team? Howabout what they owe to him? Would keeping up with the made promises be a good start, just perhaps?

I'm really not expecting some miracle and see a shake up no matter how much it's needed. Not after the 40+ headaching games last year. The team seems completely incapable of using creativity and even just giving a try for new things.

Thanks for fixing my spelling -
I have no intention of getting into it with on when he plays, who he should play with, and the rest of the stuff you have an issue with.
My post stands - Laine is a highly paid pro who is expected to show up every night - regardless.
You're entitles to make excuses for him not showing up - par for the course.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Not saying i'm ok with it, i'm saying Laine is a kid and he wants to score. Coach is dumb though and i'm sticking with it.
I agree coach is dumb. He should be on the 1st line. That is a separate issue.
What is issue is effort level. Laine can still score if he gets the puck to go in, even if he was on the checking line. Laine is a kid so give him an allowance. If he wants to do a man's job he needs to show up and put in the effort.
We are wasting a phenomenal player by not giving him top minutes. He should still try and when it comes to negotiating the next contract in a year, then refuse to resign with the Jets. All the other teams would understand and he would not be cheating the people who save all year to go to one or two NHL games and it's the highlight of their year.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Of course he wants to score - that goes hand in hand with him showing up every night doesn't it? Or do you think he should take a night off once in a while in an effort to improve his situation.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
Of course he wants to score - that goes hand in hand with him showing up every night doesn't it? Or do you think he should take a night off once in a while in an effort to improve his situation.
Laine, first and foremost a player who excels playing with creative and good passers, since he tends to float to open space to get a one-timer off. There's no excuse not to use him with the best playmakers on the team (scheif and wheeler obviously). The kid scored 44 goals last year and gets 15mins a game, unheard of.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Laine, first and foremost a player who excels playing with creative and good passers, since he tends to float to open space to get a one-timer off. There's no excuse not to use him with the best playmakers on the team (scheif and wheeler obviously). The kid scored 44 goals last year and gets 15mins a game, unheard of.
There is when he gives those interviews saying he's not trying.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Just gonna say that if they really did promise him more ice-time but then just don't deliver on that promise, that is pretty effed up behaviour. Borderline reckless. Why promise that in the first place?

The season is young though and I think Laine knows that him half-assing won't look good in the contract negotiations. Also, the better you do in the regular season, the better chances you have of facing weaker opposition in the playoffs. And winning in the playoffs is cool.

I think we have a tendency to blow things a bit out of proportion. I can understand that it might take some time to get into the rhythm and feeling of the regular season after experiencing your first NHL playoffs. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Cause and effect.
And final result. You are never going to get what you want when you tell your boss you are only going to try if he gives you what you want or else you'll just lump around.
I imagine things are not as extreme as we are making them out to be but if that was a player's attitude I'd say trade him. I don't care if he is a generational player, which I would say he probably is not. He is a super star, but, 1 in a generation? McDavid's dismantling of us is something Laine could never do on his own.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
And final result. You are never going to get what you want when you tell your boss you are only going to try if he gives you what you want or else you'll just lump around.
Yeah agreed that he's childish, but the coach should give him some leash, it's not boot camp.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeah agreed that he's childish, but the coach should give him some leash, it's not boot camp.
So treat him like a child and don't give in to his demands.
That said he should be on the 1st line if he can fix his attitude and grow the h*ll up. The teams that win championships are the ones where their stars are the hardest workers.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
That said he should be on the 1st line if he can fix his attitude and grow the h*ll up.
The thing is the results would be better with him playing 20+mins a night, he's totally right. It's not in the best interest of the Winnipeg Jets to teach their star player a "lesson".

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The thing is the results would be better with him playing 20+mins a night, he's totally right. It's not in the best interest of the Winnipeg Jets to teach their star player a "lesson".
The results would be better. The results would also be better if they didn't need to teach their star player a lesson.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I think two years of being "taught a lesson" should be enough, especially with what Laine has delivered. I think a promotion would be in order if you are the best goal-scorer in the history of the damn league. Especially when it's like 90% clear that is the best move for the team anyway.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for fixing my spelling -
I have no intention of getting into it with on when he plays, who he should play with, and the rest of the stuff you have an issue with.
My post stands - Laine is a highly paid pro who is expected to show up every night - regardless.
You're entitles to make excuses for him not showing up - par for the course.

Oh, anytime pal.

Yeah of course you don't. So far the very people who made noise about the guys who he played with last season knew he'd do much better with a different middle man and turned out right. As for what's expected from who, that's a two-way street and so far the organization hasn't exactly banked in, unless you call the 16:29 => 16:31 ridiculous increase of aTOI "getting more minutes".

Feel free to interpret the viewings whatever way you please.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Well obviously that's not working, guess it's better to lose games than lose face.

114pts and 2nd place overall last year is losing games?

I don't get the hyperbolic arguments made regarding Laine. It really doesn't help people's positions, and at some point, you run out of runway to up the ante on arguments.

Reactions: NotCommitted

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
That said he should be on the 1st line if he can fix his attitude and grow the h*ll up. The teams that win championships are the ones where their stars are the hardest workers.

What demands? Treat him like a child? Fix his attitude? Are you sure you are not making things up?

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
114pts and 2nd place overall last year is losing games?

I don't get the hyperbolic arguments made regarding Laine. It really doesn't help people's positions, and at some point, you run out of runway to up the ante on arguments.
Well if he's not happy and not producing, why not make changes that could help him produce? Not that impressed with Connor anyway so there's really nothing to lose. I think it's absolutely absurd that a 44 goal scorer doesn't play in the top minutes of a team.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What demands? Treat him like a child? Fix his attitude? Are you sure you are not making things up?
No I am not making things up. I am reflecting on the conversation. People said Laine wasn't trying based on the article. That he would try if he was put on the first line. How is that not a demand. Saying he wasn't giving his all, how is that not an attitude in need of adjustment? Refusing to try because he wasn't getting what he wanted how is that not acting like a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad