Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
Aho took over Carolina in his +3 season, Barkov over Florida in his +3 season, Pasta broke out in his +3 season and has been one of the best wingers since then, Rantanen hit 84 in his +3 season.
Matthews is killing it right now, and again I'm talking development not what they did in their rookie seasons.

Laine hasn't developed anywhere close to the elite of the elite young players in this league.

Yeah, I wonder how Laine woud do with Bergeron&Marchand or McKinnon&Landeskog. Linemates and chemistry matters You know :rolleyes:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Last year Un optimize usage of Patrik Laine dragged himself to score 44 goals , 2nd best in the league with the least amount of ice time in threhistory to break 40 goals. Along with that he became the 1st euro teen to break 70 points. He made the Jets power play one of the best in the league, scoring league leading power play goals.

If we cant appreciate what Laine have done, we are not a Jets fan.
I see points of some that are valid for his improvement which is ok. But i see a lot of that just dont know what they are talking about...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Last year Un optimize usage of Patrik Laine dragged himself to score 44 goals , 2nd best in the league with the least amount of ice time in threhistory to break 40 goals. Along with that he became the 1st euro teen to break 70 points. He made the Jets power play one of the best in the league, scoring league leading power play goals.

If we cant appreciate what Laine have done, we are not a Jets fan.
I see points of some that are valid for his improvement which is ok. But i see a lot of that just dont know what they are talking about...
I'd argue that's all great but no clue how bolded is relevant. Who cares where he's born.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I'd argue that's all great but no clue how bolded is relevant. Who cares where he's born.
That is relevant because many great euro playes played as a teen.

It might not be up there as one of the great accomplishments in the league.
But you need to acknowledge that it has never been done before.

And freakin 70 points in the league euro or non euro is hard to do for a teenager in this day in age in the NHL.

Now i rest my case with my last paragraph in my post you quoted

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That is relevant because many great euro playes played as a teen.

It might not be up there as one of the great accomplishments in the league.
But you need to acknowledge that it has never been done before.

And freakin 70 points in the league euro or non euro is hard to do for a teenager in this day in age in the NHL.

Now i rest my case with my last paragraph in my post you quoted
70 points as a teen is super impressive but I think there is too much tribalism on here. NA players are better, no European players are better. Let's forget where players are from and treat them equally. PS Greatest Teen to ever play the game Wayne Gretzky, a Canadian.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
70 points as a teen is super impressive but I think there is too much tribalism on here. NA players are better, no European players are better. Let's forget where players are from and treat them equally. PS Greatest Teen to ever play the game Wayne Gretzky, a Canadian.
I’m not sure if this is joke or not?

Reactions: Gsus

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'll just put in my 2 cents. Patrik Laine has almost single handedly got the league talking about the Jets. Even when he is playing like shit and on a scoring slump, people are talking about him. I see his name on kids backs all the time now, probably more than any other Jet. I'm willing to bet he moves more merch than any other Jet does. Criticize him all you want, but he is gonna score lots of goals throughout his career and will be the face of the franchise for likely a very long time.

I think some people are feeling pretty sour because Matthews is off to a hot start, Laine isn't, and those 2 will always be compared to each other due to the draft. There is a lot of "HAHA'S" coming from Toronto fans and that sucks ass. However, Matthews has slumped also in his young career and will again. Unless you want to drink the Toronto koolaid that he's the next Mario Lemieux, go right ahead.

That being said, Laine does need to pick up his game. Probably needs to give himself another self criticism, that seems to jumpstart him.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
It's relevant because players coming from europe need to adjust to playing a different style of game on a smaller surface, which has a negative impact on their first couple of seasons in the NHL. Therefore Laine's results compared to other euro teenagers are relevant.

Pacholeafs

Oct 13, 2018
I'll just put in my 2 cents. Patrik Laine has almost single handedly got the league talking about the Jets. Even when he is playing like **** and on a scoring slump, people are talking about him. I see his name on kids backs all the time now, probably more than any other Jet. I'm willing to bet he moves more merch than any other Jet does. Criticize him all you want, but he is gonna score lots of goals throughout his career and will be the face of the franchise for likely a very long time.

I think some people are feeling pretty sour because Matthews is off to a hot start, Laine isn't, and those 2 will always be compared to each other due to the draft. There is a lot of "HAHA'S" coming from Toronto fans and that sucks ass. However, Matthews has slumped also in his young career and will again. Unless you want to drink the Toronto koolaid that he's the next Mario Lemieux, go right ahead.

That being said, Laine does need to pick up his game. Probably needs to give himself another self criticism, that seems to jumpstart him.

also I don't understand why jets fans should care about how matthews does? If jets had the 1st pick and chose Laine, then you'd care about how matthews did but that wasn't the case

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
also I don't understand why jets fans should care about how matthews does? If jets had the 1st pick and chose Laine, then you'd care about how matthews did but that wasn't the case

If Laine had 10 goals by now the Jets would probably be undefeated. If he had 5 goals by now they'd likely have another win vs. a loss. Plus we wouldn't have to spend so much time griping about him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Expecting a big game from the team and Laine specifically tonight. Vancouver likely has 29 on their mind after the comments he made. Time for Laine to explode on the Canucks and show there is no real effects of binge gaming

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
I would love to see Laine score on Canucs and celly by mimicing playing with pad. It would really piss off some professional dull ”experts”!

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I would love to see Laine score on Canucs and celly by mimicing playing with pad. It would really piss off some professional dull ”experts”!

He would probably do a Fortnite celebration dance

tenor.gif

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's relevant because players coming from europe need to adjust to playing a different style of game on a smaller surface, which has a negative impact on their first couple of seasons in the NHL. Therefore Laine's results compared to other euro teenagers are relevant.
If you say so. Just think the idea of keeping two record books is ridiculous. I personally don't care what it says on your passport.
It's not just this another eg. Helly's most starts for an American goalie.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
If you say so. Just think the idea of keeping two record books is ridiculous. I personally don't care what it says on your passport.
It's not just this another eg. Helly's most starts for an American goalie.
I hear you :laugh: it is not the most relevant record, but it also isn't totally pointless, for the reasons i explained. It's just one recordcof many to come, anyway :thumbu:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Laine shooting %

2016-17 17.6%
2017-18 18.3%
2018-19 8.3%

Laine shot attempts that hit the net

2016-17 56.7%
2017-18 51.7%
2018-19 60.0%

- So he's actually hitting the net more than in the past, but they just aren't going in as often. I would totally expect his shooting % to have this down-slide... 18% is a very good % over a long career. More so in this era when goaltending is better. If Laine wants 50 goals / yr... he may just have to start shooting more. :)

Just for comparison. Ovi's career average is 12.5% shooting and 60% hitting the net. Teemu was 15.1%.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Laine shooting %

2016-17 17.6%
2017-18 18.3%
2018-19 8.3%

2016-17 56.7%
2017-18 51.7%
2018-19 60.0%

- So he's actually hitting the net more than in the past, but they just aren't going in as often. I would totally expect his shooting % to have this down-slide... 18% is a very good % over a long career. More so in this era when goaltending is better. If Laine wants 50 goals / yr... he may just have to start shooting more. :)

Just for comparison. Ovi's career average is 12.5% shooting and 60% hitting the net. Teemu was 15.1%.
Well he clearly needs to miss the net more...…….or the goalie, one or the other.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Laine shooting %

2016-17 17.6%
2017-18 18.3%
2018-19 8.3%

2016-17 56.7%
2017-18 51.7%
2018-19 60.0%

I think part of it has been though that his shot has been quite off exactly with getting it high towards the top corners. He is way too often shooting now lower so the goalies get it more often with their body or their pads. To me this has been a clear difference to his previous seasons so far. I’m pretty sure he will get it together again soon, and the percentage will start raising again towards 18% or around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad