Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dessert Nights

Back in Form
Nov 22, 2016
Finland
I think part of it has been though that his shot has been quite off exactly with getting it high towards the top corners. He is way too often shooting now lower so the goalies get it more often with their body or their pads. To me this has been a clear difference to his previous seasons so far. I’m pretty sure he will get it together again soon, and the percentage will start raising again towards 18% or around it.

Yea, it almost looks like he is afraid Jets will lose the possession (or opposing team gets an odd man rush) if he misses top corner and rather takes safer option.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Just getting the puck on net is how you score 15 goals in the NHL. Firing for the corners, consequences be damned is how you score 50.

You put it where the goalie can't get it, if you miss, shit happens.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
His goals have not been very....graceful so far. Get those wrists calibrated, boy.

I personally don't give a shit how they go in, as long as the goals keep piling up. :nod:

That PP goal was nice tonight: not once, but twice do the Canucks allow Wheels to setup Laine. You know that's going to end badly, and yet they allowed them that opportunity two times for good measure with predictable results.

:yo:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I personally don't give a **** how they go in, as long as the goals keep piling up. :nod:

That PP goal was nice tonight: not once, but twice do the Canucks allow Wheels to setup Laine. You know that's going to end badly, and yet they allowed them that opportunity two times for good measure with predictable results.

:yo:
Everything counts, yes. That pass is just not very repeatable against good defense.

Reactions: Se829ne

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I dunno, were you here all of last season? That pass is how he scored about 65% of his powerplay goals, if not more, and 2/3 goals this season.

Unless you mean twice in quick succession like today, then you're probably right.
I know. And i even counted the times Patrik scored from that move. Dont remember the exact number but it was something like 6-8 times. I posted that info here, too.

I can check again if you do not believe me.

How many times the pass got through but Patty did not score is a different story. No clue about those stats.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I know. And i even counted the times Patrik scored from that move. Dont remember the exact number but it was something like 6-8 times. I posted that info here, too.

I can check again if you do not believe me.

How many times the pass got through but Patty did not score is a different story. No clue about those stats.

Quick update with raw version of career goal scoring chart:

CWnw3CS.png

Purple/red spots = PP goals of this season, Yellow = PP goals of past seasons, Green = EV goals of past seasons, and Blue and Cyan = playoffs PP goals (EV and PP respectively).

Purple lines = passing lines of assists to his this season's goals.

This far Patrik has scored his 3 goals with 2 one-timers and 1 wrister.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
It would be very messy chart if all passing lines (of 1st assists) would be added. In PPs that horizontal east-west direction of passes would form pretty big areas to the chart almost filled with yellow if drawn...

Edit: Anyway, considering shot types in PP goals numerical data shows that:

PP 2016-2017
Wristers 3 (3/3 from The Office)
One-timers 4 (4/4 from The Office)
"One-timer wrister" 1
Snap shot/zip in 1

PP 2017-2018
Wristers 7 (5/7 from the Office)
One-timers 12 (11/12 from the Office)
Slap shot 1 (1/1 from the Office)

PP 2017-2018 Playoffs
Wristers 2 (1/2 from The Office)
One-timers 3 (2/3 from the The Office)

PP 2018-2019 (after 3G/7GP)
Wristers 1 (1/1 from The Office)
One-timers 2 (2/2 from The Office)

PP Totals (POs included) show that:

10/13 of PP wristers (76.9%)
19/21 of PP one-timers (90.5%)

were shots from "The 1st Office" (which place and center of weight can rather easily be seen, but not that strictly defined).

Give a puck to Patrik in that area during PP and you highly likely see either wrist shot or one-timer, if he takes a shot toward the goal...

30 out of total 34 career PP goals (POs included) came from shots made from that office. That's 88.2%.

/Useless stats :laugh:

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
More useless shooting and goal scoring stats. Some career regular season splits:

All situations

Goals 83
SOG 473
TSA 873
S% 17.55
SThr% 54.18
G/TSA% 9.51

5-on-5

Goals 51
SOG 330
TSA 603
S% 15.45
SThr% 54.73
G/TSA% 8.46

Powerplay

Goals 32
SOG 143
TSA 270
S% 22.38
SThr% 52.96
G/TSA% 11.85

I find it little bit confusing... Patrik's PP S% is obviously higher than his 5-0n-5 S%, but despite that his PP SThr% (SOG/TSA) is worse during PPs than in even strength. In other words, relatively bigger proportion of his shot attempts miss the net and aren't counted as SOG than happens in 5-on-5 situations. He is very accurate in S% when achieving PP-SOG, but worse when registering only a PP Shot Attempt in comparison to 5-on-5 shooting attempts. On the other hand his G/TSA% shooting percentage is much higher in powerplays than in all situations (apparently due very high PP S%).

Maybe there are dis-proportionally more blocked shots, shots made in haste, 2-on-1 cheating etc. during PPs that cause this. When he gets good shot there are more time and space than average (obviously) for good, aimed, and accurate shot, but there are also more situations that cause him to miss the net altogether. /Rant

Reactions: grieves

The Russian Rocket

Nov 18, 2017
There was a resent interview with Laine in finnish

On the topic of motivating yourself to games
– It’s always nice to play, but it is sometimes a bit difficult to get excited of some Tuesday-night regular season game after that kind of a spring. Afterall the world of payoffs is so different, you don’t have to motivate yourself at all to any of the games.

On the topic of him having a goalless pre-season
– Practice game players are a seperate thing. They put up big points in those games, but when the tough games start nothing happens. I’m not a practice game player myself. There are 75 games still left, so there is no need to stress about goals yet.

And on the topic of ELL lines slow start to the season on 5v5
- It’s been a bit challenging. We have atleast created some opportunities in the last few games. The start was hard, but there has been some good stuff also lately.

Also about differences playing with Stastny and Little
– There shouldn’t basically be any difference. The hockey is always played the same way. You don’t see it that much inside a game what someone does differently. It’s pretty hard to answer to this question.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

– It’s always nice to play, but it is sometimes a bit difficult to get excited of some Tuesday-night regular season game after that kind of a spring. Afterall the world of payoffs is so different, you don’t have to motivate yourself at all to any of the games.

– Practice game players are a seperate thing. They put up big points in those games, but when the tough games start nothing happens. I’m not a practice game player myself. There are 75 games still left, so there is no need to stress about goals yet.

- It’s been a bit challenging. We have atleast created some opportunities in the last few games. The start was hard, but there has been some good stuff also lately.

– There shouldn’t basically be any difference. The hockey is always played the same way. You don’t see it that much inside a game what someone does differently. It’s pretty hard to answer to this question.
I kinda understand and I'm sure many players feel like this, but i hope he realizes that there won't be a spring like last one if you feel like this often enough during regular season.

Reactions: Board Bard

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I kinda understand and I'm sure many players feel like this, but i hope he realizes that there won't be a spring like last one if you feel like this often enough during regular season.
That's a bit... Well, not alarming but I don't really like hearing that. Myself, I always want to win no matter what it is that I'm doing(Badminton, video games, board games, hockey) and I never feel such a lack of motivation to win. So for him to feel that way for hockey which is his job, hmm... I really hope that he's able to work on it. During his rookie season it was understandable with getting used to NHL and all but now he really should be putting more effort in, consistently.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
That's a bit... Well, not alarming but I don't really like hearing that. Myself, I always want to win no matter what it is that I'm doing(Badminton, video games, board games, hockey) and I never feel such a lack of motivation to win. So for him to feel that way for hockey which is his job, hmm... I really hope that he's able to work on it. During his rookie season it was understandable with getting used to NHL and all but now he really should be putting more effort in, consistently.

In the game against the Oilers I think for the first time I noticed some signs of simply lacking the interest. He was doing everything half-arsed and I believe it's a result of frustration from the inconsistency with the given ice time and the consistent same line mates who play entirely different type of hockey. How many points does he ha on 5vs5? I think maybe one or none? At the same time he's production was the polar opposite when he had half decent playmaking center last season and even more so the season before (with Scheifele). We are re-living the nightmare of one of the worst if not the worst 2nd lines of last season (league-wide) before and since the arrival and departure of Stastny. I really cannot even blame him for starting to get fustrated. I mean after all, we will have soon a full season worth of data of Laine being misused in a line with zero chemistry. I think it's slowly getting to him, considering that the management has shown pretty much no interest in fixing these issue, no interest in mixing things up or doing basically nothing whatsoever. A top 2 scorer in the league icing 16:31 minutes a game (and having a handful of ~15 minutes games). Can't figure out another team that'd be unable to do better than that if hey had him. All this despite of him being lead to believe he'd be getting a primary role (that would come with half decent ice time). Can't but say I cannot remember one single instance in the hockey where something like this has happened in the history of NHL and I've followed the European and North American hockey for some 15-20 yeas now. If they're not able to keep up with their word and promises with a head coach owning a recorded a history of lying to the media about his usage (being dropped out of the 1st PP unit in 16-17 due to Laine's own wishes for instance, when in reality he had requested nothing of the kind), that' s not going to end well and is fundamentally just wrong.

In the game against Canucks Laine seemed to have at least some interest and played a solid game with barely no complaints regarding to his complete effort, so he contributed despite of just the powerplay goal. Yet again, despite of good to great effort, how is he rewarded? Not even 16 minutes of TOI. I really couldn't care less if people wanted to jump at him, criticize whatever aspects of his game or even results. How much can you really expect from a player who's getting barely decent second line minutes and gets thrown right back in the same situation where he struggled half of the last year. The Canucks game indicates nothing cause playing vs bottom feeder is whole another story than playing a contending team, Laine is pretty much carrying the line's offence while Ehlers is on a cold streak and cannot score even if it just meant lifting the puck over goalie's pads. Little's ability to create space on the offensive zone and find players seem like a dim shadow of Stastny, who was capable of creating the space and executing plays on consistent basis.

I get that people expected Laine to come back a self-driving force who didn't have to rely on anything and do everything by himself. That's not how the hockey works today and team work is what really matters. I see nothing of the kind right now and the reality of Laine playing 4-5 minutes less than he should will not lead anywhere close to 50 goals this season. If nothing changes he will get lucky to bury 40. Not to mention, if nothing changes and he realises this is what it will be like for him for the next five or so years, The Jets will be damn lucky if his camp even shows up on the contract negotiations at all and seeing one signed isn't surprising at all. Ambitious people won't settle for a passenger's seats, no, they want to be in the driver's seat. Obviously and unfortunately it looks like there's going to be a stone wall between him and the Jets after the ELC has expired, at least if the impression I've got from him after these 3-4 years is anything near accurate.

Anyway, for the "knowledgeable" folks here that want to shoot arrows at him and his "poor" performance. I'd advice you to have a quick reminded what happened again at the very next game Laine got unshackled from Little and had Copp as his go-to partner, followed up on the arrival of Stastny? And lastly, if you want to look even deeper beyond the past how well did Laine fair again with Scheifele? So the next time he or his line doesn't accomplish jacks*it in a game, remind yourselves of how the things used to be instead of being stuck with the same old arguments. Otherwise you'll be hitting a full circle coming from last year to this year.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017

He wants to play on the first line and it's pretty obvious, there's no excuse for Kyle Connor getting more icetime than an record breaking teenage superstar.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
In the game against the Oilers I think for the first time I noticed some signs of simply lacking the interest. He was doing everything half-arsed and I believe it's a result of frustration from the inconsistency with the given ice time and the consistent same line mates who play entirely different type of hockey. How many points does he ha on 5vs5? I think maybe one or none? At the same time he's production was the polar opposite when he had half decent playmaking center last season and even more so the season before (with Scheifele). We are re-living the nightmare of one of the worst if not the worst 2nd lines of last season (league-wide) before and since the arrival and departure of Stastny. I really cannot even blame him for starting to get fustrated. I mean after all, we will have soon a full season worth of data of Laine being misused in a line with zero chemistry. I think it's slowly getting to him, considering that the management has shown pretty much no interest in fixing these issue, no interest in mixing things up or doing basically nothing whatsoever. A top 2 scorer in the league icing 16:31 minutes a game (and having a handful of ~15 minutes games). Can't figure out another team that'd be unable to do better than that if hey had him. All this despite of him being lead to believe he'd be getting a primary role (that would come with half decent ice time). Can't but say I cannot remember one single instance in the hockey where something like this has happened in the history of NHL and I've followed the European and North American hockey for some 15-20 yeas now. If they're not able to keep up with their word and promises with a head coach owning a recorded a history of lying to the media about his usage (being dropped out of the 1st PP unit in 16-17 due to Laine's own wishes for instance, when in reality he had requested nothing of the kind), that' s not going to end well and is fundamentally just wrong.

In the game against Canucks Laine seemed to have at least some interest and played a solid game with barely no complaints regarding to his complete effort, so he contributed despite of just the powerplay goal. Yet again, despite of good to great effort, how is he rewarded? Not even 16 minutes of TOI. I really couldn't care less if people wanted to jump at him, criticize whatever aspects of his game or even results. How much can you really expect from a player who's getting barely decent second line minutes and gets thrown right back in the same situation where he struggled half of the last year. The Canucks game indicates nothing cause playing vs bottom feeder is whole another story than playing a contending team, Laine is pretty much carrying the line's offence while Ehlers is on a cold streak and cannot score even if it just meant lifting the puck over goalie's pads. Little's ability to create space on the offensive zone and find players seem like a dim shadow of Stastny, who was capable of creating the space and executing plays on consistent basis.

I get that people expected Laine to come back a self-driving force who didn't have to rely on anything and do everything by himself. That's not how the hockey works today and team work is what really matters. I see nothing of the kind right now and the reality of Laine playing 4-5 minutes less than he should will not lead anywhere close to 50 goals this season. If nothing changes he will get lucky to bury 40. Not to mention, if nothing changes and he realises this is what it will be like for him for the next five or so years, The Jets will be damn lucky if his camp even shows up on the contract negotiations at all and seeing one signed isn't surprising at all. Ambitious people won't settle for a passenger's seats, no, they want to be in the driver's seat. Obviously and unfortunately it looks like there's going to be a stone wall between him and the Jets after the ELC has expired, at least if the impression I've got from him after these 3-4 years is anything near accurate.

Anyway, for the "knowledgeable" folks here that want to shoot arrows at him and his "poor" performance. I'd advice you to have a quick reminded what happened again at the very next game Laine got unshackled from Little and had Copp as his go-to partner, followed up on the arrival of Stastny? And lastly, if you want to look even deeper beyond the past how well did Laine fair again with Scheifele? So the next time he or his line doesn't accomplish jacks*it in a game, remind yourselves of how the things used to be instead of being stuck with the same old arguments. Otherwise you'll be hitting a full circle coming from last year to this year.

We expect nothing more than his best effort every night - regardless of what line he is on or how he personally feels about his minutes.
Anything less is unexceptable from a pro player who is paid very well to play this game - with a lot more on the horizon.

Tell the fan paying $200 for a seat:
"Mr. Laine is not up to it tonight because he believes his minutes should be increased and his line mates are not really suited to his style"

I really don't believe Laine works or thinks this way - if he is off on any given night, I don't believe it's due to what you are describing.

I can believe that there is a bit of a let down when you come off a high intensity PO series, back to regular season (on a Tuesday night) -
and I also believe he'll grow out of that potential attitude with time.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
We expect nothing more than his best effort every night - regardless of what line he is on or how he personally feels about his minutes.
Anything less is unexceptable from a pro player who is paid very well to play this game - with a lot more on the horizon.
No valid argument against this exists.

Scheifele this, Little that, who the f*** cares. If roster decisions cause Laine to lose interest, the entire issue stems from 29 himself.

Reactions: Gotaf7 and LowLefty

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017

Tell the fan paying $200 for a seat:
"Mr. Laine is not up to it tonight because he believes his minutes should be increased and his line mates are not really suited to his style"

I really don't believe Laine works or thinks this way - if he is off on any given night, I don't believe it's due to what you are describing.

I can believe that there is a bit of a let down when you come off a high intensity PO series, back to regular season (on a Tuesday night) -
and I also believe he'll grow out of that potential attitude with time.
Tell the fan paying $2000 for a UFC title match only for it to end in a 1min KO. He's human and a top talent with an ego to match, not really his fault the coach is too dumb to realize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad