Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
But the other line suffer.

There are mutiple scenario that Maurice can play 2 dominant lines if he choose too.

Anyways Jets top 6 will score no matter what: The other main recipes to the Jets 2nd place success last year were

Stack D all 3 pairs

Trouba
Buff
Myers

Each

Lowry line, 4th line that dominates

Bottom 6 scoring

Pk/PP improvements

And that Vezina caliber goalie Jets got in net.

If that was “suffering” then I’ll take other lines “suffering” every year if it means we’re a top 3 team and consistently make the conference finals.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Obviously the point is not to maximize points of Laine. But as I wrote lines with Patrik Scheifele has been producing 70% more than lines with Mark Wheeler. That means playing Scheifele with Laine instead of Wheeler maximizes also Scheifele's production and not only Laine's. Also playing Wheeler with Little maximizes Little's production and also gets Ehlers going.

Current situation with CSW & ELL may benefit Wheeler, but is worse for Fefe, Little, Laine and Ehlers. Not sure about Connor, but it depends whether he would play with CSL or with CLW. The latter case would probably reduce his point totals, but it's possible the CSL would benefit him too, but we just cannot know before testing it.

I'm pretty sure the current situation is bad for the team. (Or suboptimal. With this amazing talent Jets have they might just win like no tomorrow even with stupid lineup, and that's not a bad thing. Just a huge waste.)
This exactly right.

Relying on carrying C such as Andrew Copp or Blake Wheeler (as a center)? Also as good as Stastny is, he is not considered top tier 1st line center and yet they were awesome together.

Give him anything but Little, and at the very least anything but ELL. They did have some success with PLL, though that particular line was really questionable defensively.

It's also not too much about carrying, but it should be punishable by law to have kind of goal scoring ability Laine has without a setup guy.
Yes. We need to have different center for Laine and Ehlers. Not necessary better but different center. Copp or even Lowry would be better fit for them. And for Laine it would best to play with Perrault and Scheifele.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
This exactly right.

Yes. We need to have different center for Laine and Ehlers. Not necessary better but different center. Copp or even Lowry would be better fit for them. And for Laine it would best to play with Perrault and Scheifele.

Lowry or Copp would not work because you make the team weaker by splitting those guys up. That 4th line is essentially a shut down line for the top 6.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
This exactly right.

I would love to see them try Roslovic between them just for a game. Just to satisfy my own curiosity....

Reactions: 1OApick

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Relying on carrying C such as Andrew Copp or Blake Wheeler (as a center)? Also as good as Stastny is, he is not considered top tier 1st line center and yet they were awesome together.

Give him anything but Little, and at the very least anything but ELL. They did have some success with PLL, though that particular line was really questionable defensively.

It's also not too much about carrying, but it should be punishable by law to have kind of goal scoring ability Laine has without a setup guy.

The Stastny line went pretty cold in the Vegas series, when keyed on by the Knights. Laine became unnoticeable in that series as well.

If we are going to be paying Laine in the 9million range, its absolutely imperative that he drives any line he plays on, consistently. When someone says we will never win a cup with Little playing 2nd line center, I shake my head, as its [mod] trying to exonerate the best talent on that line from carrying their own load.

Laine is in the midst of building his game to a level that can accomplish exactly that. By having Laine on a line where all the heavy lifting is done by a centerman, he will never evolve in to the player we need him to be.

Pairing him with a setup guy happens every power play we get, and that is more than enough to feed Laine from his favorite spot. What we need away from the power play is a player capable of getting on the forecheck, using his size and speed to get possession, cycle and setup.

Reactions: DRW204 and Plural

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I know this is sacrilege but I think Lowry and Laine would be terrific together.

My approach would be to not rule anything out. You just don't know unless you try.

We have the best shooter in the league, and it's silly imo to not try to maximise his usage. Maybe this is max, and that's perfectly fine, but Maurice really hasn't tried much else.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The Stastny line went pretty cold in the Vegas series, when keyed on by the Knights. Laine became unnoticeable in that series as well.

If we are going to be paying Laine in the 9million range, its absolutely imperative that he drives any line he plays on, consistently. When someone says we will never win a cup with Little playing 2nd line center, I shake my head, as its a simpletons statement trying to exonerate the best talent on that line from carrying their own load.

Laine is in the midst of building his game to a level that can accomplish exactly that. By having Laine on a line where all the heavy lifting is done by a centerman, he will never evolve in to the player we need him to be.

Pairing him with a setup guy happens every power play we get, and that is more than enough to feed Laine from his favorite spot. What we need away from the power play is a player capable of getting on the forecheck, using his size and speed to get possession, cycle and setup.

Agree with it all except the cycle part. That's like a whole different discussion, but some lines are great at cycling and can score doing it, others need different approaches.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Everyone produces more with Scheifele, but who does Scheifele produce best with? Right now I think it's Wheeler. Not that it will always be that way.

I'd like to see Connor and Ehlers switched to see what Connor could do with Little and Laine.

Its just an assumption that Scheif produces best with Wheeler. He produced very well with Ehlers and Laine too and all 3 of them were less developed then than they are now.

I think it is inevitable that Laine take that spot. Just a matter of time. I'd like to see it tried this pre-season.

Reactions: Halberdier

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Everyone produces more with Scheifele, but who does Scheifele produce best with? Right now I think it's Wheeler. Not that it will always be that way.

I'd like to see Connor and Ehlers switched to see what Connor could do with Little and Laine.

I'd like to see Connor <-> Ehlers swap as well as it shouldn't really change lots for the 1st line. Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler was very similar to Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler in production, but who knows if Connor might get Little and Laine to work to some degree.

About Scheifele producing more with Wheeler than with Laine (5-on-5, I presume), stats disagree with that assumption.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Its just an assumption that Scheif produces best with Wheeler. He produced very well with Ehlers and Laine too and all 3 of them were less developed then than they are now.

I think it is inevitable that Laine take that spot. Just a matter of time. I'd like to see it tried this pre-season.

Yup, it's only an assumption and against what we did see.

In fact Scheifele produced much more (and their line produced 70% more goals / 60) with 18-year-old Laine than with career-season-Wheeler.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Laine is momentum player and a bit difficult person. I bet he hates to play with Little and it shows.

I believe he got things going with Statsny because it was just breath of fresh air after torture with Little. New Trouba in making.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Laine is momentum player and a bit difficult person. I bet he hates to play with Little and it shows.

I believe he got things going with Statsny because it was just breath of fresh air after torture with Little. New Trouba in making.
Laine being hitched to Little is similar to Trouba to Stuart?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

In fact Scheifele produced much more (and their line produced 70% more goals / 60) with 18-year-old Laine than with career-season-Wheeler.

They produced more goals but we lost more games.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

That could very well be, I don't doubt it and agree it's Laine's spot likely in the near future. I think from a puck possession standpoint though, Wheeler carries more of the load which benefits Scheifele to a pretty good degree. That might be mitigated by Laine's ridiculous finishing ability however.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Ehlers Little Laine that will be our line, never score a goal or even cross the blue-line. Puck doesn't move it doesn't stay on blade, 9/10 opponent comes and takes it away. Chemistry is worse, worst ever seen, Scheifele could be there but PoMo doesn't see.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

ESL was deadly in the O zone. It was weak defensively though. I think it would be better now though. All 3 are better defensively than they were then.

The Little criticism here has become ridiculously overblown but Maurice has plenty of other permutations he could try. TC is the time to look at them. I think that Connor - Little - Wheeler could be very good.

Reactions: Ducky10 and Plural

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yeah, having to play with Little is torture. :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That could very well be, I don't doubt it and agree it's Laine's spot likely in the near future. I think from a puck possession standpoint though, Wheeler carries more of the load which benefits Scheifele to a pretty good degree. That might be mitigated by Laine's ridiculous finishing ability however.

We have been reacting to the ridiculous criticism of Little, reminding certain posters of just how good he really is. If he is good enough for Laine, he is good enough for Wheeler - and we already know they are good together. Add Connor and that line could be something else.

Think of opposing coaches trying to defend against those 2 lines. :D Then shut down their top line with CLT and throw MP - Rosie - Dano out against their 4th line. Pity the poor fool. :laugh:

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
We have been reacting to the ridiculous criticism of Little, reminding certain posters of just how good he really is. If he is good enough for Laine, he is good enough for Wheeler - and we already know they are good together. Add Connor and that line could be something else.

Think of opposing coaches trying to defend against those 2 lines. :D Then shut down their top line with CLT and throw MP - Rosie - Dano out against their 4th line. Pity the poor fool. :laugh:
The reality is, and this gets lost in all the Laine talk, is that the Jets have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to line combinations and match ups. The top 6 is interchangeable is so many ways and causes nightmares for so many teams alone, nevermind the bottom 6.

Suffice it to say, the Jets have very good problems :).

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
ESL was deadly in the O zone. It was weak defensively though. I think it would be better now though. All 3 are better defensively than they were then.

The Little criticism here has become ridiculously overblown but Maurice has plenty of other permutations he could try. TC is the time to look at them. I think that Connor - Little - Wheeler could be very good.

If Laine does play with Scheif I’d prefer Connor or Perreault over Ehlers or even just a lot Laine to the left side with Wheeler opposite. Point is, I think Ehlers and Laine struggle together. But at the same time they are a year older and Laine is quicker so who knows.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
We should just play Schiefele with Little. It's the only way to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad