Patrik Laine Part III: More Hats, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
The more I watch that 2 on 1 goal, the more impressed I am.

The shift in position is so subtle, it puts so much pressure on the D man.

Yeah it forces the D to either play the pass (as they should) or allow a clear breakaway to puck carrier. I do the exact same thing on almost every 2 on 1s but that is on NHL17 lol. Turn the body for one time clapper with L2 and go wide early to create separation for passing lane.

It's the best play. No point in going to back post and allow defenseman to narrow the distance to both players. Force him to choose early so you either have a onetimer or clean breakaway

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I would accept 95 out of 100, and 2-3 broken sticks, but Laine is too humble to say that. :)

Actually, every single NHL-level hockey player should make goal from that pass in that position at least 75%+ (i.e. perfect pass), an AHL-4th line reserve enforcer included.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I would accept 95 out of 100, and 2-3 broken sticks, but Laine is too humble to say that. :)

Actually, every single NHL-level hockey player should make goal from that pass in that position at least 75%+ (i.e. perfect pass), an AHL-4th line reserve enforcer included.

I think that's what Laine was getting at - not that he's so awesome, but that it was such a perfect pass from Scheife.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Landeskog was also attempting to chop down a tree, apparently. 9/10 for his axe-wielding skills on that play. :D

Yeah, didn't notice that before that GIF, but it's another ugly **** from that ape. And we're talking about just one game.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I think that's what Laine was getting at - not that he's so awesome, but that it was such a perfect pass from Scheife.

Yes that was the gist of it. When you get that feed from that far out with the goalie in the position he was, that needs to be a goal almost every time. There is so much to shoot at and so much angle.

Of course in reality Laine will bury that maybe 9/10, with the stick breaking or shooting wide for that one attempt.

Anyone else in that position probably does not bury it with those odds. So that part is his shooting excellence. The expectation of hitting the target is lower in that situation for basically anyone else.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Of course the usual suspects will use it as another example of cockiness.
Someone was already whining about how his goal celebration was sooo arrogant. He raised his arm.:facepalm:

It's indeed very difficult to understand what is the reason people perceive and say they see arrogancy in the Laine's statements. As Finnish I haven't perceived such arrogance, not even when he made that famous Draft interview from his bed (?) saying what he did. I can't believe that people's registers could be so different around the world that they could just plainly misinterpret Laine. He have healthy self-confidence, and tendency to say what he think about this or that without offending others or trying to whitewash his own faults. He have excellent ironic and little bit sarcastic sense of humor, and when/if he says something that could be read as unfriendly arrogance as a quote on a paper, it's always made with friendly humoristic tone.

His English is not too bad, but still he lost a lot of his personality via English interviews. Even then he manages make often very quotable statements making interviewers and audiences laugh. Low key jokes combined with laconic output.

I fail to see where is that 'arrogance' -part in Laine's personality. On-ice it is however, a basic requirement for every goal scorer to be successful. One needs to be arrogant to be able to conduct goal scoring schemes with enough high determination. Maybe his success in this matter is the main source of the misperceptions for some.

Laine's celebrations are just like the man's goals. :)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Someone was already whining about how his goal celebration was sooo arrogant. He raised his arm.:facepalm:

Ville Nieminen? :sarcasm:

(To non-Finns' benefit: Barkov's mentor figure who once as commentator commented on Barkov's lackluster cellies that they have agreed the arms don't go above the shoulderline. The red lamp is there for the audience.)

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Not really that difficult, considering where most of it comes from :laugh:

True dat.

They will grasp at any straws.

Doesn't visit the defensive zone. Too arrogant and cocky to be successful. Unsustainable shooting percentage. Gets to be on the ice for the empty net because the coach is more concerned about him winning the Calder than the team winning games. Has no passing game and low hockey IQ. Advanced stats say he is worse than Thorburn, Burmistrov or Stafford and this coach still keeps putting him in (must be for the Calder).

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Not really that difficult, considering where most of it comes from :laugh:

Sure. I excluded the main source as an irrelevant factor. If the main source's media spread actively that kind interpretations then it's bad because it only indicate that the main media has declined to the below average level of typical fan of the Main NHL-product. :sarcasm:

Cocky and arrogant teens doesn't make debutes in neither boys' nor men's Teams in The Team Finland, must be also mentioned.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It's indeed very difficult to understand what is the reason people perceive and say they see arrogancy in the Laine's statements. As Finnish I haven't perceived such arrogance, not even when he made that famous Draft interview from his bed (?) saying what he did. I can't believe that people's registers could be so different around the world that they could just plainly misinterpret Laine. He have healthy self-confidence, and tendency to say what he think about this or that without offending others or trying to whitewash his own faults. He have excellent ironic and little bit sarcastic sense of humor, and when/if he says something that could be read as unfriendly arrogance as a quote on a paper, it's always made with friendly humoristic tone.

His English is not too bad, but still he lost a lot of his personality via English interviews. Even then he manages make often very quotable statements making interviewers and audiences laugh. Low key jokes combined with laconic output.

I fail to see where is that 'arrogance' -part in Laine's personality. On-ice it is however, a basic requirement for every goal scorer to be successful. One needs to be arrogant to be able to conduct goal scoring schemes with enough high determination. Maybe his success in this matter is the main source of the misperceptions for some.

Laine's celebrations are just like the man's goals. :)

Hockey's culture of aw-shucks modesty is so ingrained in Canada that a player saying something like "I'm good at hockey and I know what I can do" is considered very bold and unusual. "Hockey" and "cocky" might rhyme, but they don't seem to mix... ;)

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
18. Colorado

pSRyffT.gif

Is it only me or does it look like scheifele stops playing after giving the pass? Like either he gave it all he had or he was already like "99 out of 100".

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Is it only me or does it look like scheifele stops playing after giving the pass? Like either he gave it all he had or he was already like "99 out of 100".

I guess Scheifele had seen Laine's last FEL goal, so yes, it's 99/100:

I remember how I did raise my hands before Laine did even shoot. Kuusela is an excellent passer, and I was just sure that Laine won't miss. That was by far Laine's best scoring change in the FEL PO finals, and he did not miss that. Goalie Ville Husso was great during the series, but you can't catch that.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Hockey's culture of aw-shucks modesty is so ingrained in Canada that a player saying something like "I'm good at hockey and I know what I can do" is considered very bold and unusual. "Hockey" and "cocky" might rhyme, but they don't seem to mix... ;)

I see. Laine's healthy self-confidence and open-mindnesses in this matter is not particularly typical for Finns generally and Finn-born hockey players particularly. Quite contrary to that. Usually Finns aren't eager to speak about their skills and abilities even then that kind of talk would be justifiable, and nobody would think it would be out-of-place bragging, just as things are with such person.

That Laine perceives very well his abilities and doesn't hesitate to say it publicly (i.e. he himself believes his own skills and potential) is extraordinary thing, but what makes it special, the one doesn't get impression he would be arrogantly bragging on his finesses. He just states the fact that everyone (not everyone, but...) can perceive themselves. When it comes self-critisisms, he is equally well equipped for such things without hesitations to analyze his bad performances and short-comings if ever needed, also publicly. It's highly like that such self-analytic attitude is the key defining personality trait of Laine when it comes to the hockey, his profession.

He is just honest for himself and for what he is doing with minimal self-induced fallacies or needs to play some kind role in the media. That's great! The man says how the man does.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I want a level of confidence ( you can call it cockiness if you like ) from our superstars. Without it, they probably aren't superstars.

Having said that, Laine has been so well spoken and humble in the right way at the right times in his interviews, I am shocked that this kid is only 18. He missed one (or hit a post maybe?) when he felt he should have scored one time and he was very self critical and humble. Pointed directly at himself - no excuses. And with all the praise and attention heaped on this kid, he never loses sight of the fact that he is part of a team, and team success is what matters at the end of the day.

Honestly, anyone that is criticizing this kid for his acumen is bonkers.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
how many games do the jets have untill 2017 ? will laine hit 20+ goals before 2017 ?!

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
5 Games left, so probably

I like those odds. hope he goes on a hot streak á' la junior world champions and ends up at 25 haha. 2 multigames and one goal per game for the rest is doable.

If he scores by the goal per game rate he has so far he'd add 2.6 goals so 20 will most likely be achieved!

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
It's pretty refreshing to hear a hockey star saying confident things in interviews rather than just trotting out the b.s.

Hope he continues

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand

I see. Laine's healthy self-confidence and open-mindnesses in this matter is not particularly typical for Finns generally and Finn-born hockey players particularly. Quite contrary to that. Usually Finns aren't eager to speak about their skills and abilities even then that kind of talk would be justifiable, and nobody would think it would be out-of-place bragging, just as things are with such person.

That Laine perceives very well his abilities and doesn't hesitate to say it publicly (i.e. he himself believes his own skills and potential) is extraordinary thing, but what makes it special, the one doesn't get impression he would be arrogantly bragging on his finesses. He just states the fact that everyone (not everyone, but...) can perceive themselves. When it comes self-critisisms, he is equally well equipped for such things without hesitations to analyze his bad performances and short-comings if ever needed, also publicly. It's highly like that such self-analytic attitude is the key defining personality trait of Laine when it comes to the hockey, his profession.

He is just honest for himself and for what he is doing with minimal self-induced fallacies or needs to play some kind role in the media. That's great! The man says how the man does.

The straight talk is very refreshing. Patrik came into the league with a lot of hype but the thing to remember is a year ago is wasn't really on the radar over here. That didn't happen until the WJC I believe. We are more use to kids with his pedigree having been in the spotlight for a few years. 99, 87, 88 were in the sports news since they were 13 or 14. By the time they hit the NHL they had pat answers to the moronic questions they get hit with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad