Patrik Laine Part III: More Hats, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Once his power (and mass) improves he might need to move to a slightly stiffer flex. Meaning even harder shots. Technique wise he is ahead of other shooters of today. He should only improve in both accuracy and velocity. I can't think of other teenagers shooting at 101 mph. I'm sure there are some but I can't think of one.

Oh yeah that makes sense, I was kind of taking the "more power" part out of the equation. So with more power he could get about the same flex from a stiffer stick -> more power in the shot and better control?

Laine commented on his goal to Finnish tabloids. 99 times out of 100 he will bury that great of a chance. The one time the stick breaks. Confidence, it's a helluva drug

Love that, I hope he never looses it. I'm so tired of the hockey cliche answers. The best part of it is he doesn't seem arrogant at all, just genuinely confident in his abilities. Apparently some people on these forums seem to think his conduct "unprofessional", maybe it's a cultural thing but I can't stand the usual "professional" talk a lot and say nothing BS.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, it is bit weird to think that actually he still is an apprentice here - there are quite many things to improve on and they seem to be the exactly the kind of things that will improve with age and experience. But his prime years are at least 2-3 years away which really, really feels rather strange. That ceiling might be pretty scary...

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Oh yeah that makes sense, I was kind of taking the "more power" part out of the equation. So with more power he could get about the same flex from a stiffer stick -> more power in the shot and better control?

Love that, I hope he never looses it. I'm so tired of the hockey cliche answers. The best part of it is he doesn't seem arrogant at all, just genuinely confident in his abilities. Apparently some people on these forums seem to think his conduct "unprofessional", maybe it's a cultural thing but I can't stand the usual "professional" talk a lot and say nothing BS.

I just read the Finnish comment, it was more like complimenting Scheif for his work, not his own shot :laugh:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

I have heard only good things about PAMA HOCKEY -sticks lately. A true Finnish hockey stick since how long? But as their sticks go for starting from 199€.. It would be cool if they sent one to Laine and asked for him to test them honestly.. And if they're good he gets as much free sticks he wants with all the customization, ofc.

They're hyping it as pretty much something unseen in that stick technology but haven't digged deep enough into it to say whats the deal with it. From what I understood, they go the opposite direction though, Pama hockey says that some players using flex 100+ have started using 78 flex or so, because the tech in the stick delivers much better controll and blade wont flex, so they can use lower flex to get more whip. IDK, But 4 real man, these stick things are advanced but what ever stick you're shooting with, 101 mph is sick from 18yr old winger.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
What would be these scholars in the field? Etymologists? I wanna link.

BTW, is a laine just a small lake wave, chasing a proper aalto? Then you have amalgamations like a sea tyrsky let alone maininki, but those are constructed of aaltos rather than laines. Need to know what are lake and what are sea words.

Hey, what's your view on -nen? It's sometime "-like", sometimes "little -", it's a bugger.

There is no aalto in Lakes - barring perhaps during a storm in places on like the big Selänne somewhere between the route from Kuopio to Savonlinna @ Saimaa. See? Selänne? You get it? These things can't be accident. There is Laineis in Selänne, even Aaltos. Some one find out what Kurri really means, now. It's rare word. I wouldn't be surprised if it ties up to this. Playmakers have this tree thing going on. Koivu+Lehtinen (Tree and leaf)? See? Water is the thing for goal scorers, trees are for playmakers / 2way players.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I have heard only good things about PAMA HOCKEY -sticks lately. A true Finnish hockey stick since how long? But as their sticks go for starting from 199€.. It would be cool if they sent one to Laine and asked for him to test them honestly.. And if they're good he gets as much free sticks he wants with all the customization, ofc.

I don't see this happening because of the Bauer sponsorship deal. Before that it could have been a good idea.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
There is no aalto in Lakes - barring perhaps during a storm in places on like the big Selänne somewhere between the route from Kuopio to Savonlinna @ Saimaa. See? Selänne? You get it? These things can't be accident. There is Laineis in Selänne, even Aaltos. Some one find out what Kurri really means, now. It's rare word. I wouldn't be surprised if it ties up to this. Playmakers have this tree thing going on. Koivu+Lehtinen (Tree and leaf)? See? Water is the thing for goal scorers, trees are for playmakers / 2way players.

You forgot to add Granlund (=kuusilehto = spruce grove), which also supports your theory. :handclap:

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Kurri is skimmed milk, some old people still use that word

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I don't see this happening because of the Bauer sponsorship deal. Before that it could have been a good idea.

Yeah but they'd just paint his stick to bauer top end model colors. He can use what ever stick he wants, isn't that how the deals always go? IDK if any one would agree it otherwise. As I would just like to see Pat test it, he is the best shooter probably to test it along side few others. Send kovy one, too ;p

But yeah, Laine can't make that stick known in NA anymore because the bauer deal.

What would be these scholars in the field? Etymologists? I wanna link.

BTW, is a laine just a small lake wave, chasing a proper aalto? Then you have amalgamations like a sea tyrsky let alone maininki, but those are constructed of aaltos rather than laines. Need to know what are lake and what are sea words.

Hey, what's your view on -nen? It's sometime "-like", sometimes "little -", it's a bugger.

Well, "nen" ending clearly means "a" thing, like just one thing. For example "Aaltonen" = a wave. But "Aalto" = wave (in general). Great players like Kurri, Selänne, Laine have been general versions of the word :P All those three names also cant be bent using the "nen" ending, they're exceptions.

"Lainen" endings clearly means like "member of", perhaps many times a family but some times some nature thing. But the Lainen ending clearly means "member of" some kind of group.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Well, "nen" ending clearly means "a" thing, like just one thing. For example "Aaltonen" = a wave. But "Aalto" = wave (in general). Great players like Kurri, Selänne, Laine have been general versions of the word :P All those three names also cant be bent using the "nen" ending, they're exceptions.

"Lainen" endings clearly means like "member of", perhaps many times a family but some times some nature thing. But the Lainen ending clearly means "member of" some kind of group.

-nen is multi-purpose noun in Finnish language, and it's interesting topic for discussion as nearly always some context of use will be missing...

[collapse=nennouns]
-nen nouns
(following Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_grammar)

This is a very large class of words which includes common nouns (for example 'nainen' = 'woman'), many proper names, and many common adjectives. Adding -nen to a noun is a very productive mechanism for creating adjectives ('muovi' = 'plastic' -> 'muovinen' = 'made of plastic'/'plastic-like' ). It can also function as a diminutive ending.

The form behaves like it ended in -s, with the exception of the nominative, where it is -nen. Thus, the stem for these words removes the '-nen' and adds '-s(e)' after which the inflectional ending is added:

Finnish |English
'muovisessa p***yssa' |'in the plastic bag'
'kaksi muovista lelua' |'two plastic toys'
'muoviseen laatikkoon' |'into the plastic box'

Here are some of the diminutive forms that are in use:

Finnish |Stemming from |English
'kätönen' |käsi |'a small hand' (affectionate)
'lintunen' |lintu |'birdie', 'a small bird'
'veikkonen' |veikko |'lad'
'kirjanen' |kirja |'booklet'
'kukkanen' |kukka |'a little flower'
'lapsonen' |lapsi |'a little child'

The diminutive form mostly lives in surnames which are usually ancient words many of whose meaning has been obfuscated. Some of the most common:

Finnish |From word |English
'Rautiainen' |rautio |blacksmith (of a blacksmith's family)
'Korhonen' |korho |'deaf' (of a deaf man's family)
'Leinonen' |leino |'sorrowful, melancholic'; alternatively male name Leino as short for Leonard
'Virtanen', 'Jokinen', 'Järvinen', 'Nieminen'... |virta, joki, järvi, niemi |'the family from by the stream (virta), river (joki), lake (järvi), peninsula (niemi)'
'Mikkonen' ||[A family name assimilated from the name of the farmhouse, after the householder's name 'Mikko']
'Martikainen' ||possible origin Martikka, a South Karelian surname, identical to Russian surname Martika
'Lyytikäinen' ||from 'Lyytikkä', originating to Germanic male name 'Lydecke'

Occasionally such nouns become place-names. For example, there is a peninsula called "Neuvosenniemi" beside a certain lake. "Neuvonen" means "a bit of advice/direction"; at this peninsula people rowing tar barrels across the lake would stop to ask whether the weather conditions would allow to continue to the other side. Most place-names ending with -nen assume a plural form when inflected. For instance, the illative of "Sörnäinen" is "Sörnäisiin" instead of singular "Sörnäiseen".

(Also appears as)

Interrogative pronoun
Finnish |English
kumpainen |which (of two) - (old or dialectal word)

Indefinite pronoun
Finnish |English
jokainen |every, everyone

Indefinite adjective
Finnish |English
toinen |(non-reciprocal, non-numeral use) another
[/collapse]

An example how -nen can appear a lot in various functions in the Finnish sentences:

"Herra Nenonen on aikamoinen veikkonen. Hänen ensimmäinen vaimonsa on kiinalainen ja toinen on brasilialainen. Alkuperäinen vaimo on niin kateellinen, että hänen naamansa on punainen."

-->

"Mr. Nenonen is quite lad. His first wife is Chinese, and and the other is Brazilian. The original wife is so jealous that Her face is red."

One cannot have much more Finnish name then Laine, without -nen. :)

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Well, "nen" ending clearly means "a" thing, like just one thing. For example "Aaltonen" = a wave. But "Aalto" = wave (in general).

I understand that we are way off topic here, but I just want to state that this is simply not true.

"-nen" is not "a". In this case it's "small, little, tiny, (or even cute)". For example "aalto" is a wave, but "aaltonen" is a small wave. There is similar postfix in German, "lein", that's used exactly the same way. "Kind" == child, "Kindlein" == little child. This "-nen" postfix is used less and less nowadays, and the most common use is those surnames originating from the Eastern Finland (some from that area we lost for Russians in 1944).

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I understand that we are way off topic here, but I just want to state that this is simply not true.

"-nen" is not "a". In this case it's "small, little, tiny, (or even cute)". For example "aalto" is a wave, but "aaltonen" is a small wave.

There is similar postfix in German, "lein", that's used exactly the same way. "Kind" == child, "Kindlein" == little child. This "-nen" postfix is used less and less nowadays, and the most common use is those surnames originating from the Eastern Finland (some from that area we lost for Russians in 1944).

I know "Aaltonen" it sounds like a little, cute wave or something like that, but also I don't think its general word, to me it sounds like it's implifying one small / cute wave. I think that is more important difference between Aalto and Aaltonen. The smallish / cutish sound of it is just extra. Aaltonen is bent word meaning for one little wave, While aalto is the un-bent general word. That was kinda my point.

Well, technically we, or at least I dont know **** about what we're talking about - outside this being my native language - and in addition its offtopic, so perhaps we should just move on..

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I know "Aaltonen" it sounds like a little, cute wave or something like that, but also I don't think its general word, to me it sounds like it's implifying one small / cute wave. I think that is more important difference between Aalto and Aaltonen. The smallish / cutish sound of it is just extra. Aaltonen is bent word meaning for one little wave, While aalto is the un-bent general word. That was kinda my point.

Also "aalto" means exactly one wave, "aaltoja" is a plural form for "aalto", "aaltosia" is a plural form for "aaltonen". That's not distinctive from "aaltonen" in this sense at all. And that smallish part is not the extra, but the very meaning of the "-nen" in this case... (But the "-nen" in this meaning is rather ancient, and I don't think even half of the Finns understand it correctly, so don't worry your language skills.)

Well, technically we, or at least I dont know **** about what we're talking about - outside this being my native language - and in addition its offtopic, so perhaps we should just move on..

Agreed :)

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Uh... yes.

Laine's last goal was very beautiful. Great pass too.

That own goal seems not demoralizing Pate to a slightest degree. Even Selänne assumed that it was just for his unnaturally high scoring instinct that caused that clear mishap. His shooting finesses are that deeply trained to his back bone...

Great he got that goal to the right end of rink! :yo:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think the two Assists are even greater here. Both positive plays from outside the dangerzone that put the puck to the right place to be put into the net.

Harmonica1

Nov 16, 2016
18. Colorado

pSRyffT.gif

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
18. Colorado

pSRyffT.gif

Interesting really on the 2 on 1 play with the strong closing back pressure on Schief the Lanche defender probably should have worked harder to deny the cross ice pass but Laine does a very unorthodox thing by stopping his forward motion and sliding laterally away from Scheifele while squaring up to provide a passing target to Mark. Man he is confident in his shot to make that play and Schief who has a wicked wrister himself was probably thinking pass all the way. Pate really felt how to move into a soft spot and set up for his one timer.....I can't remember if I have seen a shooter do that before on a clear cut 2 on 1? Not sure Mark could have teed it up any better for him either.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Interesting really on the 2 on 1 play with the strong closing back pressure on Schief the Lanche defender probably should have worked harder to deny the cross ice pass but Laine does a very unorthodox thing by stopping his forward motion and sliding laterally away from Scheifele while squaring up to provide a passing target to Mark. Man he is confident in his shot to make that play and Schief who has a wicked wrister himself was probably thinking pass all the way. Pate really felt how to move into a soft spot and set up for his one timer.....I can't remember if I have seen a shooter do that before on a clear cut 2 on 1? Not sure Mark could have teed it up any better for him either.

Laine in his own comments said that he knew Scheifele was going to pass and opted to make himself ready for the pass whenever it comes. I don't know it that's telling of a pre-planned manoeuvre or if they're just in each others heads already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad