Patrik Laine Part III: More Hats, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Can't wait for the Canucks game!

I know I've been praising this kid to exhaustion lately, but if people still remember the last year and in general how the young Finns tend to up their game on the second half of the season, usually right after the WJCs. Now imagine if Laine continued where he got off last year, added that extra gear for the last 40-50 games (and even up to the playoffs if the Jets made it), the outcome might be something entirely unexpected, even more so what he has accomplished up to day. One scary thought. I'd still be more than happy if he could sustain his current form and break the 40g barrier in his rookie year. I'm just praying he stays healthy all the way through the season. That has to always be the priority one.

I said it before the season begun and i'm still saying it;
PATRIK LAINE WILL SCORE 50 GOALS IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON

Laine has mostly struggled so far and hasn't played as he can,
still trying to learn the small ice secrets,...subtle nuances...
at home it has been easier for him,but at road...

When Laine starts hitting the net with the same pace as at home,
and he will <starting tonight :yo:> 32 goals for 48 games?,
not a problem,not a problem at all.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
So guys, before season start, how many points u think Laine would and how many you hoped? Before xmas break. Me thinking max 10 goal, hoped little over 10 with few assists.

I bet 60 euros with my friend about that before season started, i said 50 points he said 40. Easy money for me.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Laine is 0.53 goals per game avg at the moment
he only needs 0.13 more to get to 50 goal pace,
in his last 48 games.

3 more hat tricks = 23 goals for 45 games (0.51)
which is under his current pace.

So its all good,not to worry :hockey:

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I looked back at some of my predictions. Seems like I was expecting 35 goal range in first season and over 50 goal season(s) in first 3 years.

I get called crazy a lot around here :D

The Laine thread on the prospects board was full of high expectations and Leafs fans telling us we were dumb to think he'd score right away. It was downright hilarious to watch them grasp at straws when he turned into a scoring machine. :laugh:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
84EtVjZ.jpg

Oooh! Like son and dad, how nice. :laugh:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
The Laine thread on the prospects board was full of high expectations and Leafs fans telling us we were dumb to think he'd score right away. It was downright hilarious to watch them grasp at straws when he turned into a scoring machine. :laugh:

They still do, but now it's "unsustainable".

I can't wait for the day when one of these "unsustainable" people start to doubt that statement and their own assessment.

ARGD

Oct 18, 2016
Just 3 more hat tricks? Vladimir Tarasenko just had his 3rd after 4 seasons of NHL.

What was your prediction before the season started? I would say the guys with crazy predictions have been the ones mostly right. :)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Just 3 more hat tricks? Vladimir Tarasenko just had his 3rd after 4 seasons of NHL.

Laine already has 2,we are talking about first part of the season
here,its not like Laine has been really awesome so far,not like
he was from the last world juniors to the end of the last season,
Laine has lots to improve this season.

When you really think this over,its starting be more likely
that Laine will score 50 than not.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Laine already has 2,we are talking about first part of the season
here,its not like Laine has been really awesome so far,not like
he was from the last world juniors to the end of the last season,
Laine has lots to improve this season.

When you really think this over,its starting be more likely
that Laine will score 50 than not.

Just let it happen. Don't jinx the kid.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I was expecting around 20-25 goals before the season. I'm soo happy I underestimated him :yo:

If he lands around 40 goals by the end of the season I would say he has had an exceptional rookie season.

StPatrik

Apr 13, 2016
40 goals this season. 50 next, then he will stabilize in and around 60 per.

Funny how this is starting to feel a completely logical and reasonable prediction. He's not going to get worse, that's for sure. There's so much room for improvement..

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If he lands around 40 goals by the end of the season I would say he has had an exceptional rookie season.

I decided I'm done with the pointless rivalry because they ain't gonna re-do the Draft and everyone won anyway, and am rooting for both Laine and Matthews to break the 40 G barrier for to be the first rookie pairing to do that since Selanne and Lindros.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I decided I'm done with the pointless rivalry because they ain't gonna re-do the Draft and everyone won anyway, and am rooting for both Laine and Matthews to break the 40 G barrier for to be the first rookie pairing to do that since Selanne and Lindros.

Its best to employ the Stockholm syndrome and befriend your captor :laugh:

I am with you Lempo the only way this is relevant to me is if we meet the Leafs in a cup final. I hate the mindless debate and think Matthews is an amazing prospect.....So is Laine. As I have maintained from day 1 we co-won the lottery but it wouldn't be HFBoards if we left well enough alone there always has to be a winner and a loser and those that scream the loudest and longest think they win. :baghead:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

Yeah. "The Rivalry" is the product of The NHL from the beginning (Unless teams are against each other). It will continue only because that other fan-pool is what it is. Good calculation by NHL, must agree. Relatively (Relatively! - only statistical idiot comes upon me for that, you know!) bad choice for Leafs, must agree. Optimal choice for Pegs, hell yes!

Meanwhile, we all can get entertained by the artificial rivalry! :yo:

Peaceful Jets homers: You cannot turn the tide. :)

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

AFAIK Leafs fans did tell us that Laine will never succeed on NHL at elite/star level. After all, he is just a slow, below average player with just one great ability: shooting. And his shooting was also too bad for NHL goalies. That was what they were telling us, because they did not follow his FEL season at all, or any other game if that matters.

I was confident that eventually Laine will make it into the brighest stars in the NHL after N years, but that he would struggle a lot in his first season because of his very young age. He had struggled a bit, and he will be just so much better in 2-3 years, but still he is TOP-3 in goals and TOP-20 in points. He leads his team in +/-, and he has been AFAIK by far most on the ice when Jets has scored compared to opponent's goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad