Patrik Laine Part III: More Hats, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Continued from: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2148511

Edit: a collection of GIFs created by Harmonica1 of Laine's goal-scoring exploits for your pleasure - hope you've got a fast phone/tablet/PC! ;)

[collapse=ljwehfkjlnavn]
1. Hurricanes

plidoxC.gif

2. Maple Leafs

TBdGMBZ.gif

3. Maple Leafs

WSj8ZHE.gif

4. Maple Leafs

fJIjutg.gif

5. Stars

BP3C8Lk.gif

6. Stars

vCaADuT.gif

7. Red Wings

q4CIzGX.gif

8. Rangers

8v8hW2A.gif

9. Stars

PBkHlxR.gif

10. Stars

SbBlKx0.gif

11. Stars

5qOCwjy.gif

12. Blackhawks

QYAjUWV.gif

SO 1. Kings

skCY1Sf.gif

13. New Jersey

oE6cubM.gif

14. Edmonton

ykPOMZp.gif

15. Edmonton

OWDlUcY.gif

16. St. Louis

q12r9Ug.gif

17. Detroit

eyYXbpx.gif

2. SO Detroit

hXJyMCK.gif

18. Colorado

pSRyffT.gif

19. Vancouver

fl1eVpP.gif

[/collapse]

Last edited:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
He has so much to learn. No idea what to expect out of him for the rest of the season. Last 22 games 6 goals, not that great guys.
True but considering where he started this season and how much he has already adapted, it might be sooner than we think when he starts to fill his true potential. The fact that he was leading the Calder race despite being "rawest" rookie out there is definately impressive.

6 goals in 22 games is definately not anything to be shamed about, especially for a 18 years old kiddo. Guy literally just came from one of the worst scheduled months in recent history, it definately had a lot of impact to his game as it also had on Jets' veteran players. Not many if any from Jets were playing their best game in those 20-25 games they had in a span of one month or so.

I personally expect Laine to keep on improving. Too many times I've thought I have seen it all from this guy.

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He's 18. Nice apple on buffs goal and should have got one on Lowry also

Yeah he is, but i have watched him for a year to try and fail doing the same stupid dangles, cross-ice passes etc. He still does the "backcheck and skate away" thing. Again in the shootout he showed that his bag of tricks isnt exactly the deepest in the world. It gets frustrating.

He is at his best when he plays simple hockey. Screw you Laine for setting the expectations so high with the amazing start :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Yeah he is, but i have watched him for a year to try and fail doing the same stupid dangles, cross-ice passes etc. He still does the "backcheck and skate away" thing. Again in the shootout he showed that his bag of tricks isnt exactly the deepest in the world. It gets frustrating.

He is at his best when he plays simple hockey.
What dangles today made you upset? I don't remember any unnecessary dangles. If anything, he has gotten rid of the those unnecessary between the legs dekes that he was pulling in every second game in Liiga and needless to say they hardly ever resulted into anything.

When it comes to cross-ice passes, zero turnovers from those today and one time he played his teammate into breakaway with that cross-ice pass. I don't deny that sometimes his cross-ice passes don't really work out and even if they do connect, there would have been a better play available. But no one's perfect when they are playing their first season in the NHL. You learn everytime from your misplays.

His backchecking though definately has room for improvement, especially if you mean the plays where he seems to standing still and just holding his position in the defensive zone when he probably could attack the puck with his stick to stickcheck it away.

And finally, while Luongo surely had studied Laine's goals in shootouts, I don't think you need to switch the deke as long as you keep scoring with it. Look at Mikko Koivu and especially younger Jussi Jokinen, those guys kept scoring with the same move shootout after shootout because it worked. Guy is 2/3 in shootouts and there are skillful players like Perreault with 1 goal out of 11 tries in shootouts. I'd definately wait beforing calling the guy's skill repertoire lacking.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Thanks, i just wanted someone to blast me with some positive truths

One thing that i think has lowered his scoring is that other teams scouted him and noticed how weak he is on the puck. You can render him useless by sending someone to poke him a bit.

Last edited:

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Thanks, i just wanted someone to blast me with some positive truths

One thing that i think has lowered his scoring is that other teams scouted him and noticed how weak he is on the puck. You can render him useless by sending someone to poke him a bit.

Yep. Send someone out to poke at him with a stick... Totally useless.

I'd ask you to be less ridiculous, but it's fun to hear your "opinion".

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He'll adapt and it wont be as easy, but come on, its ridiculous how easily he loses the puck sometimes. Rookie things. Dunno im just trying to be more critical so not everything about him is all rainbows and sunshine over here... but i do understand that most of his quirks will be fixed by experience

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
He has so much to learn. No idea what to expect out of him for the rest of the season.

An 18yo has so much to learn? You don't say. I expect to see a dynamic player learning his craft for the rest of the year, with the attendant ups and downs of a rookie. He's a bit of a baby giraffe too, and is still growing into his body.

He'll adapt and it wont be as easy, but come on, its ridiculous how easily he loses the puck sometimes. Rookie things. Dunno im just trying to be more critical so not everything about him is all rainbows and sunshine over here... but i do understand that most of his quirks will be fixed by experience

Does he lose puck battles quite often? Yep. Will he continue to lose these battles? I doubt it - he's a skilled and smart kid, and will figure it out. He's 18yo, playing against the best ****ng hockey players in the world, and acquitting himself quite nicely given this fact.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
An 18yo has so much to learn? You don't say. I expect to see a dynamic player learning his craft for the rest of the year, with the attendant ups and downs of a rookie. He's a bit of a baby giraffe too, and is still growing into his body.

Does he lose puck battles quite often? Yep. Will he continue to lose these battles? I doubt it - he's a skilled and smart kid, and will figure it out. He's 18yo, playing against the best ****ng hockey players in the world, and acquitting himself quite nicely given this fact.
You are right of course. I tend to go into a panic mode when things don't go the way I've thought they would. And i am very impatient. Ignore my ramblings. :P

LaoTze

Jun 24, 2016
You are right of course. I tend to go into a panic mode when things don't go the way I've thought they would. And i am very impatient. Ignore my ramblings. :P

You should see a highlight reel of me watching Kimi Räikkönen's career... I've been pretty angry :P

Stompa

Nov 4, 2016

What you are saying now is exactly what I was saying a month or two ago [mod]. Glad you finally started to look objectivly at Laine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Couchcaptain

Nov 11, 2016
Lost in the wilderness
Goddamn this finnish pessimism is killing me..:shakehead
He played quite a good game yesterday, some nice passes and some good goalscoring chances too.
It ain't just always going to be hattrick after hattrick :laugh:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I was just reading the Detroit woe is me draft thread on the main board and happened to look up where Kronwall was drafted (2000, 29th OA) and came across this player from the same draft year.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=3183
Teemu Laine

Totally irrelevant, but still a pretty random find heheh. He's also a former Tappara player. Does anyone know if he's related to Patrik in any way?

Torspo21

mailataikuri
Dec 15, 2009
Oijärvi
torspo21.blogspot.com
I was just reading the Detroit woe is me draft thread on the main board and happened to look up where Kronwall was drafted (2000, 29th OA) and came across this player from the same draft year.

Teemu Laine

Totally irrelevant, but still a pretty random find heheh. He's also a former Tappara player. Does anyone know if he's related to Patrik in any way?
Teemu and Patrik are not related. Laine is quite common surname in Finland.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Teemu and Patrik are not related. Laine is quite common surname in Finland.

Ah, so it's kind of like Johnson or Smith over here. Still, I rather enjoyed reading his description as well.

"A very speedy forward with great acceleration. Goes hard to the net and likes to fire the puck. Strong along the boards. Possesses agitator qualities, likes to run his mouth."

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Teemu Laine

Laine seems to be a pretty common name in Finland. Also Teemu. There was a Teemu Numminen drafted by Jets 1.0 back in the day (also from Tappara)...unfortunately he didn't combine the defensive skills of Teppo with the offensive prowess of Selanne.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Laine seems to be a pretty common name in Finland. Also Teemu. There was a Teemu Numminen drafted by Jets 1.0 back in the day (also from Tappara)...unfortunately he didn't combine the defensive skills of Teppo with the offensive prowess of Selanne.

Not a big deal, sounds like we got the good ones! :D

randomhockeyfan

Sep 23, 2016
Wow some people are quite harsh. He's still just a rookie and he's won us a few games, I think he'll be fine. Expectations got apparently too high after the incredible start. Yesterday wasn't his best game but he did well considering the embarrassing own goal from the last game.

Couchcaptain

Nov 11, 2016
Lost in the wilderness
Wow some people are quite harsh. He's still just a rookie and he's won us a few games, I think he'll be fine. Expectations got apparently too high after the incredible start. Yesterday wasn't his best game but he did well considering the embarrassing own goal from the last game.

Very much that. I mean, those expectations just got out of hands and went right into the sky like a rocket. He has literally been having a record breaking rookie season for 18 year old thus far. He has been right there with the all time best 18 year old rookies in scoring goals thus far..
But i quess nothing is enough..

Off course he has a lot of things to improve, and a lot of room to improve. Which is the best part, if you ask me. I mean, he is doing that great allready with all those things that can be improved a lot. That screams to me a totally insane potential, hes ceiling is in the outer space.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Laine seems to be a pretty common name in Finland.

Most common one of the nature names that doesn't any "-nen" or other addition to it. In fact that kind of names are called 'Laine-type names' among the scholars of the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->