Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - Part 20'ish or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Nope, still not good enough. You are being sarcastic and feel the need to downplay Laine’s good top end speed by saying that he is a bad skater because of his bad agility and explosiveness. I pointed out that those areas of improvement have been mentioned countless times by the same people who gives praise for his top end speed. I don’t think that anybody has claimed skating the oval is what it’s all about. However, the skills competition does tell us that Laine is in fact a good skater. Maybe not elite, but definitely not bad.

Nope - I'm commenting on the fact that top end speed doesn't have a lot of value in hockey - speed skating yes, hockey, no.
My comments were more aimed at those that feel the need to compare his "speed" to a guy like Wheeler who has "hockey speed"
And you know what I'm referring to when I say Hockey speed - you've touched on it yourself.

Some are even convinced that he'd take out Wheels in a 25 ft race - so now we moved from top speed to quick and I don't buy that for a minute.

I'll back out of this debate knowing that the Laine needs to work on his "hockey" skating which is what's really important in the development of his game.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Wheeler is a freak when it came to skating at that height.

Laine is a freak when it comes to shooting.

At his age and at his size.
He is probably one of the best skater 6'5" and above

Maybe top 10 ohhhh kay. Top 15 in the world :)

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Äänestyksen yllättävä tulos: Patrik Laine jäi kakkoseksi – Jets-faneilla uusi suosikkipelaaja

Article says that there was a questionnaire on the Winnipeg Sun on who would they choose if they had to pick one player to be resigned out of RFA.s. 4,598 responses so quite the sample size too.

61 % said Kyle Connor, 31 % said Laine. Vote of no-confidence is in I guess.
If they took that survey at the end of November, I wonder what the fans would have voted then?

Reactions: dlam

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Äänestyksen yllättävä tulos: Patrik Laine jäi kakkoseksi – Jets-faneilla uusi suosikkipelaaja

Article says that there was a questionnaire on the Winnipeg Sun on who would they choose if they had to pick one player to be resigned out of RFA.s. 4,598 responses so quite the sample size too.

Laine AINEC for me. Wonder if anyone would have chosen KC in this questionnaire when he was 20? Oh right, he didn't have 3 30 goal NHL seasons at that age :) He had a very good year this year being mostly stapled to the first line and PP1 minutes.

I refuse to knock KC, but I don't understand people underestimating Laine's ability. I understand that they want an Ovi or a Mario right now at this age, but that's just not reasonable.

I hope people look back at this questionnaire in 2 years.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Saw that - didn't vote.

How can you not pick Laine?

Its too bad, he is being compared with KC.

If im the GM.

I will trade one of the lesser (other) player and sign both.

iannn

Jan 7, 2010

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

not surprised, Laine had a poor year comparatively to Connor. Ask the question at the conclusion of the 2018 season i bet the results are flipped. But KC's production and efficiencies over the last 2 year surpass Laine (total points, points per game, 5v5 pts, 5v5 pts/60)

Reactions: LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Interesting poll -
Bigger spread than I would have anticipated but I agree with who came out on top.
Laine will have the opportunity to prove them wrong I suppose -
Will he need to be older and on the first line to do it?

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Never understood the need to choose between two players on your team. That is the joy of being a fan of a team, not a player, you can have multiple favorite players on one team.

I for one want both Connor and Laine playing the majority, if not, their entire careers with our organization.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Never understood the need to choose between two players on your team. That is the joy of being a fan of a team, not a player, you can have multiple favorite players on one team.

I for one want both Connor and Laine playing the majority, if not, their entire careers with our organization.

Likewise.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

I don't read The Sun, but I believe the poll was not just about fandom, but about value.
I like both players but was saying a year ago I'd rather sign Connor at 6 than Laine at 10. Connor's trajectory has been consistently upward, so his value has increased commensurately...missed opportunity last July. Laine's trajectory has flattened and so future projections are uncertain.
And just so there is no perception of international bias, let me say that, if I were a Carolina fan, I'd sign Sebastian Aho to a LT deal in a nanosecond. He started out well behind Laine, but his year-over-year growth has been a thing of beauty, reflected in his points, overall play and advanced stats.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Need? No, of course not - but fans will have favorites

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
The problem with many fans (non hardcore) are, They are forgetfull.
They tend to sway from month to month or accomplishment to bad days .

There are those solid fans.
There are those bandwagon fans.

You see it in the main board alot.
And here game to game. Not many are decisive or consistant.
How they view players.

Well we see this in real world how we vote our leaders to run the city and county. Not just Canada but all over the world.

Im not surprise with vote result.
As i know how fans sway. Especially bandwagons.
Heck if you ask same people who voted there, if Tanev is a core player. You will get an overwhelming yes. Most likely.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The problem with many fans (non hardcore) are, They are forgetfull.
They tend to sway from month to month or accomplishment to bad days .

There are those solid fans.
There are those bandwagon fans.

You see it in the main board alot.
And here game to game. Not many are decisive or consistant.
How they view players.

Well we see this in real world how we vote our leaders to run the city and county. Not just Canada but all over the world.

Im not surprise with vote result.
As i know how fans sway. Especially bandwagons.
Heck if you ask same people who voted there, if Tanev is a core player. You will get an overwhelming yes. Most likely.

I'd say fans in general will prefer one player over another based on a number of reasons -
Some will stick by their favorite player regardless of the rhetoric - some will be more inclined to call out everyone / anyone based on their play.

I'm personally guilty of both -

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Nope - I'm commenting on the fact that top end speed doesn't have a lot of value in hockey - speed skating yes, hockey, no.
My comments were more aimed at those that feel the need to compare his "speed" to a guy like Wheeler who has "hockey speed"
And you know what I'm referring to when I say Hockey speed - you've touched on it yourself.

Some are even convinced that he'd take out Wheels in a 25 ft race - so now we moved from top speed to quick and I don't buy that for a minute.

I'll back out of this debate knowing that the Laine needs to work on his "hockey" skating which is what's really important in the development of his game.
My problem with Laine’s skating isn’t so much with his speed but how often he was caught not skating. So often he would get the puck and not be moving then try to make a move on a defender when they came at him. He needs to keep moving and make better passes especially outside the offensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad