Player Discussion: Patrik Laine (mod warning in post #150)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
That's pretty impressive and I remember it being talked about quite a lot when it happened.

But on the other hand, how many U18 eligible players have played in the tournament? I mean it's still a great feat to do it, but most of the guys don't ever even get the chance to put up points in WHC tournament as U18.

Reactions: Halberdier

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Special mention to Aavco apparently whose original list I am editing and adding to. Hope it's cool by him.

Thanks for the suggestions. If you have something to add or comment, please do so.

Removed "PPG player at one point in a season".
Added 20 PP goals and leading the league
Changed Second-Highest U19 -> Highest U18

2015-16 Liiga Rookie of the Year.
2015-16 Liiga Rookie Goals Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Rookie Points Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Playoff MVP and Champion.
2015-16 Liiga Playoff Goals Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Record Setter for Most Playoff Goals By a Rookie.
2016 World Junior All Star Team.
2016 World Junior Gold Medal.
2016 World Junior Goals Leader.
2015 U-18 All Star Team.
2015 U-18 Silver Medal.
2015 U-18 Goals Leader.
2016 World Championship MVP.
2016 World Championship Silver Medal.
2016 World Championship All-Star Team.
2016 World Championship, IIHF Directorate Award for Best Forward.
2016 World Championship, Award for Top 3 Player on Team.
2016 World Championship Goals Leader.
2016 World Championship Record Setter for Most Goals by a Player in First Year of NHL Draft Eligibility.
2016 World Championship Record Setter for Most Points by a Player in First Year of NHL Draft Eligibility.
Highest Point Total by a U-18 Player at a World Championship Tournament (Previous record doubled).
Youngest player ever to score three hat tricks in the NHL
Fastest 18 Year-old to achieve 30 goals in the NHL (era-adjusted)
Led the league in PP goals as a U20 player (only player to reach 20 PP goals in 17-18 season)
3rd European teenager ever to reach 100 career points in the NHL
Longest point streak by a teenager in NHL history at 14 games
Scored 40 goals in less ice-time than anyone in the NHL since ice-time has been recorded (44 Goals averaging 16:29 TOI)

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
That's pretty impressive and I remember it being talked about quite a lot when it happened.

But on the other hand, how many U18 eligible players have played in the tournament? I mean it's still a great feat to do it, but most of the guys don't ever even get the chance to put up points in WHC tournament as U18.

That's because most U18 players suck though?

Reactions: Ippenator

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
That's because most U18 players suck though?

I don't think so. Although players are getting good younger and younger. But Crosby played at the WHC at 18 year old and scored 8+8 in 9 games. I'm sure he could have cracked Team Finland a year earlier.

It's still a superbly impressive feat by Laine and I think it deserves a mention. But there's nothing wrong realizing that most players never get the chance to play in WHC at U-18 eligible. Laine was under special circumstances. But he still had to score those goals and play well enough to make the team.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I don't think so. Although players are getting good younger and younger. But Crosby played at the WHC at 18 year old and scored 8+8 in 9 games. I'm sure he could have cracked Team Finland a year earlier.

It's still a superbly impressive feat by Laine and I think it deserves a mention. But there's nothing wrong realizing that most players never get the chance to play in WHC at U-18 eligible. Laine was under special circumstances. But he still had to score those goals and play well enough to make the team.

The scrub Crosby is your example?

There are these mutant monster players, but an average U18 player will suck competing against men. I'm sure Crosby would have given Laine a run for his money for sure.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The scrub Crosby is your example?

There are these mutant monster players, but an average U18 player will suck competing against men. I'm sure Crosby would have given Laine a run for his money for sure.

Yeah. I said it's a great feat. But it's still a feat that requires a narrow set of lines to meet. Had Sid been born few months earlier he would have been U-18 too.

But you're right in that there's a handful of guys who even theoritically could have challenged Lainr for that record. Speaks volumes that it was Jagr he beat for it. An all-time great. I didn't mean to sound like a buzzkill. It definitely belongs on the list.

Reactions: Halberdier

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah. I said it's a great feat. But it's still a feat that requires a narrow set of lines to meet. Had Sid been born few months earlier he would have been U-18 too.

But you're right in that there's a handful of guys who even theoritically could have challenged Lainr for that record. Speaks volumes that it was Jagr he beat for it. An all-time great. I didn't mean to sound like a buzzkill. It definitely belongs on the list.

I think that's a fair point on second thought. Besides, lots of variance in hockey.

But it's crazy to me that someone can look at that list and think Laine will not a complete wrecking ball in the future. Usually the past is a good indicator for the future. But to be fair, most people don't know what is going on with ELL and stuff so I guess it is understandable.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

...and most guys that do get the opportunity just fails to put a lot of points. I'm not sure but I think Ovie had that opportunity and had like 1+1=2 points. Or then he was U19, can't remember for sure.

Unlike some "18-year-old NHL rookie stats" however, WHC@U18 is not gimmick as you can play as 15-year-old at WHC, given that you are good enough as there are not arbitrary age limits as in NHL.

If you are good enough to even try to make 12 points as U18 age for mens WHC, it's pretty sure you will make it into the team. Most guys just aren't ready for that when they are 17, 18 or even 19.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I have met Teemu couple times and he is not small guy, still Laine is like giant next to him. There is still room to fill out that frame but NHL defenders will have great troubles when he is ready physically.

A lot of room. That's what is most surprising about him. He is still so lanky because the frame is that big. Will take years to fill of course but he already has 80 goals in two seasons with that stick figure. He could be 230-240 lbs at peak and be in very lean shape.

Something like prime Jagr but slightly bigger and even more skilled. Or a more fit Mario.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Jets fans, first post in the Jets forum. Some of you already know me from the Main Board. Hi @kelsier But I am breaking a long standing rule of mine of just posting on the Main board by visiting team boards where players I like play for.

The BPA Patrik Laine has brought us together.

Looking fwd in seeing Laine in his 20 year old season.

IMO he is going into his 20 year old season with already 80 goals in the bank. How many players at the age of 20 can say this? 2 years of NA acclimation, 2 great seasons, I think this year he is going to another level that will justify why some had him at #1 OA in the 2016 draft. With Ovie just recently winning the cup, the you cannot build a championship team around a franchise winger is now debunked, well it was debunked when the Hawks won 3 with Patrick Kane. Another Patrik.

So I will enjoy visiting here if you will have me, while we enjoy the already great journey Patrik Laine has taken us on. 80 goals in the bank as a teenager, and 2 playoff rd wins in his short NHL career already.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Welcome The Winter Soldier!

It was about time you found your way here too. Just in time though and just before the huge BOOM by the BPA (that's some 3 months away)!

Okay on a more serious note, the 16-17 as well as 17-18 were only the beginning and we are in for some good times. Lets try not to get too spoiled along the way. ;)
I've started to get bored with all this summer ****. Would much rather see some pucks drop in the circle. Let the winter come already?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Welcome The Winter Soldier!

It was about time you found your way here too. Just in time though and just before the huge BOOM by the BPA (that's some 3 months away)!

Okay on a more serious note, the 16-17 as well as 17-18 were only the beginning and we are in for some good times. Lets try not to get too spoiled along the way. ;)
I've started to get bored with all this summer ****. Would much rather see some pucks drop in the circle. Let the winter come already?

Thanks Kelsier! and all the rest for the welcome. We are going to have some fun I suspect following the BPA Laine this upcoming season. Obcourse team success is the most important thing to Jets fans, and to Laine too. But I always thought it would take 2 years before Laine truly blossomed. He's already exceeded my expectations, and we know he has a great talent to not only score, but prove the detractors wrong. That unsustainable shooting %, one dimensional, Laine. Not. BPA, this time I mean best player available. Not Beast Player or Big Playoff Athlete. ect...

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
hey….laine playd with Ehlers/stastny and it didnt work. and laine playd Little amout of ice times. it was all stuck at own zoun and attacking by WRONGLY by C putting puck to Deep zoun and forward to hunt on , or Ehlers skating with puck til opponent it taken. how cool fun is this for laine to skate beside and wait for NO PUCK. skate skate skate and not getting puck. imagining THIS!

and at PP the Three other forward player many times only passing by themself with triangle playing, while laine not getting pass just looking there. this what happen in PO also.

sheifele was by coach given all times in World in PO especially. at end of game coach even Always having sheifele and Wheelers for getting extrapoints by having them there for easy empty net goal. sometimes laine getting for 10 seconds at ice then coach given sign hey laine...change!

i say laine not very happy and comfidence not allowed for him last seasons. coaches treatment eating his performance. this the way team loose and not winning cup. last season i say shame they not passing vegas and they let Washington win. somethign here wrong but not getting to say this. they dont admit this so they propably go on old behavoiurs this seasons also.

NEXT season i expect laine at first line an playing huge amount of icetime. i expect over 22 min average / game. time for laine to bring pointtrophys home. let laine free. also vesalainen propably too good for not getting top 6. if he so good there is NO REASON whatsoever to have him not playing big minites also. i fear still this perverty of last seasons going on. so they may having him at farmleague despite he better than almost every player at big club

right now i must take chocolate bars and havin a nap. thanks for understadning

Sir avgard hockeyprofessor

Last edited:
Reactions: Luc Labelle

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
let laine free

2cbf19b0d5ca1fb039c8357d3946f2f7fb645975.jpg

FREE LAINE!!!

Welcome to the madhouse @The Winter Soldier :D

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
hey….laine playd with Ehlers/stastny and it didnt work. and laine playd Little amout of ice times. it was all stuck at own zoun and attacking by WRONGLY by C putting puck to Deep zoun and forward to hunt on , or Ehlers skating with puck til opponent it taken. how cool fun is this for laine to skate beside and wait for NO PUCK. skate skate skate and not getting puck. imagining THIS!

and at PP the Three other forward player many times only passing by themself with triangle playing, while laine not getting pass just looking there. this what happen in PO also.

sheifele was by coach given all times in World in PO especially. at end of game coach even Always having sheifele and Wheelers for getting extrapoints by having them there for easy empty net goal. sometimes laine getting for 10 seconds at ice then coach given sign hey laine...change!

i say laine not very happy and comfidence not allowed for him last seasons. coaches treatment eating his performance. this the way team loose and not winning cup. last season i say shame they not passing vegas and they let Washington win. somethign here wrong but not getting to say this. they dont admit this so they propably go on old behavoiurs this seasons also.

NEXT season i expect laine at first line an playing huge amount of icetime. i expect over 22 min average / game. time for laine to bring pointtrophys home. let laine free. also vesalainen propably too good for not getting top 6. if he so good there is NO REASON whatsoever to have him not playing big minites also. i fear still this perverty of last seasons going on. so they may having him at farmleague despite he better than almost every player at big club

right now i must take chocolate bars and havin a nap. thanks for understadning

Sir avgard hockeyprofessor

You should be the Jets coach. You know better than anyone...Please spare me the hockey professor stuff. You have to know the game before you can become a proffesor!! when did you start watching hockey, when Laine started playing Junior hockey!!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
View attachment 130787

FREE LAINE!!!

Welcome to the madhouse @The Winter Soldier :D

Thanks happy to be here, you haven't seen anything yet. We are going to have some fun this year. The best teenage scorer from the 2016 draft will make sure of this. As for freeing Laine, Maurice could use the BPA more than 16mins a game. But Laine is a team player, never complained and just went out and scored 44 goals while being a 2 playoff rd winner. Just getting started now that he has 2 years under his belt.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Thanks Kelsier! and all the rest for the welcome. We are going to have some fun I suspect following the BPA Laine this upcoming season. Obcourse team success is the most important thing to Jets fans, and to Laine too. But I always thought it would take 2 years before Laine truly blossomed. He's already exceeded my expectations, and we know he has a great talent to not only score, but prove the detractors wrong. That unsustainable shooting %, one dimensional, Laine. Not. BPA, this time I mean best player available. Not Beast Player or Big Playoff Athlete. ect...
Detractors? Seriously?

Ridiculous.

Everyone in this place loves Laine and knows what a special talent he is.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Detractors? Seriously?

Ridiculous.

Everyone in this place loves Laine and knows what a special talent he is.

In this place 99% or more love Laine, that's for sure. Some of them more, some a bit less. Many of those who love him still do not understand what they have got, but are nevertheless pleased with having a guy that is not only very lucky with his goals, but even more lucky with his GF/GA ratio.

But in general, outside this subforum that's not true. Laine has still a lot to prove, even if everything he has done so far has already proved majority of people wrong. It didn't get long before we got struck by some bad weather, but that storm was a known one and easy to just ignore.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
The Laine hate is still strong in the Jets fans. Just trade the ****er already, maybe to the Leafs. I think everyone here put Connor ahead of Laine and said Connor worked hard for his spot, he was a good fit there but was gifted it. Keep on hating on Laine, Jets fans! Keep on hating.

Neither true nor funny.

Yup, there are some guys that haven't seen the light and oddly there were some putting eg. Connor ahead of Laine on 5-on-5 game during last season when "Farmer O'Connor was enjoying highlife" and Laine stuck with that dysfunctional line. Then at certain point you could made a cherry picked stat with a very questionable way to express the result of that stat to prove your point like @Maukkis did. There was that 6-10th best forward thing.

After EStL and regular season, things looked really different, but at points yeah, some of the less bright ones did really call for Laine to be sent into Moose, and in overall there was let's say "much less love" (to put it lightly) towards Laine.

I predict that one thing will continue: if Laine doesn't score, certain posters will say that he played a bad game. Some people can really see him in in positive light only when he scores. Then they love him. These same people will be just puzzled why Laine shines on winning GF against GA, as they show how in those virtual, Corsi-based stats Laine is an average guy, so that he just happens to be so lucky to have high GF and relatively low GA when he is on ice 5-on-5. So my prediction is that Laine continues to be "lucky", even if luck doesn't really exist on large sample sizes.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Neither true nor funny.

Yup, there are some guys that haven't seen the light and oddly there were some putting eg. Connor ahead of Laine on 5-on-5 game during last season when "Farmer O'Connor was enjoying highlife" and Laine stuck with that dysfunctional line. Then at certain point you could made a cherry picked stat with a very questionable way to express the result of that stat to prove your point like @Maukkis did. There was that 6-10th best forward thing.

After EStL and regular season, things looked really different, but at points yeah, some of the less bright ones did really call for Laine to be sent into Moose, and in overall there was let's say "much less love" (to put it lightly) towards Laine.

I predict that one thing will continue: if Laine doesn't score, certain posters will say that he played a bad game. Some people can really see him in in positive light only when he scores. Then they love him. These same people will be just puzzled why Laine shines on winning GF against GA, as they show how in those virtual, Corsi-based stats Laine is an average guy, so that he just happens to be so lucky to have high GF and relatively low GA when he is on ice 5-on-5. So my prediction is that Laine continues to be "lucky", even if luck doesn't really exist on large sample sizes.
Laine doesn't bring much to the table outside of the offensive zone. Maybe that's why there are several statistics that all point to that and posters who can't see him doing much when he doesn't score goals.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Laine doesn't bring much to the table outside of the offensive zone. Maybe that's why there are several statistics that all point to that and posters who can't see him doing much when he doesn't score goals.
Several statistics such as Laine's CF% and GF% being better than Connor's despite having weaker linemates?

Really, considering the dysfunctional line he was stuck on, these opinions are odd.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

You just prove my point. Some people can't see his game, and that's OK. I do see his game, and miraculously that matches his Results, that are awesome. I might be wrong, and he might be just lucky, but I think he is really defensive aware player that also does what he can to prevent opponent scoring and doesn't cheat for offence, and that in the end is displayed on the score sheet. Hockey IQ over the quick foot speed, 9 times out of 10, even on NHL.

That's perfectly OK that we disagree on what he brings into the table outside the offensive zone (and inside that zone as well apart from scoring). At least we agree on him when he scores for the Jets and can both celebrate that :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad