Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He has been looking way better in his play without the puck. Also I feel he has has shown more discipline with puck control and limiting the turnovers. the ESL 2.0 line is on fire, it seems like they can get to the high-danger scoring areas/the slot at will, and Laine is converting all those chances.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm reminded of that ancient proverb,
"If Patrik Laine scores a goal, and there is no red light to turn on, does the goalie even know?"
This is actually quite true. In the previous game on sports net, one of laine’s goals went in and out so fast I didn’t see it and sportsnet was talking about something else and then sort of low key , said goal.

I don’t know that he scored until seconds later.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
So is this game and hat trick big news in Finland today?

Hot streak for Laine, Barkov and Rantanen has been quite big news in Finland so you'll bet this hat trick will be also. Finnish national broadcast company Yle had not one but three separate articles on that hat trick and reactions by Swedish newspapers(!) on their front page all day long.

For example yesterdays Aamulehti, Tampere region newspaper had half of its front page and 2 more pages about Laine fighting for the Rocket Richard trophy. Mind you, Laine was 5 goals behind then. Apparently Selänne (x3) and Kurri are the only other Finnish NHL goal scoring leaders.

Also Barkov got a fair share as "the best Finnish ice hockey player" and according to the paper should win Selke this season or at least in next 5 years or otherwise there has to be a conspiracy against him.

Both Laine and Barkov are from Tampere and played for Tappara so they get more pages on Tampere newspapers than eg. Rantanen that is from Turku.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
McLennan gets it, his analysis on the differences in Pate's game were spot on........or maybe he just reads HF Jets ;)

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Maybe someone already told it, but I really like the attitude Hendricks "protected" Laine by having a fight after a hard hit attempt towards Laine. Laine did evade that hit though.

Like Scheifele did jump on McCabe and Laine did jump on someone that gave a blind side hit to Scheifele. It tells you story about how these guys care about each others.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
All I will say is, if someone dug up his playing history all the way from Finland to international ice and eventually at the NHL - then added everything together - what he / she would find would be something surreal. What a magnificent talent.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is actually quite true. In the previous game on sports net, one of laine’s goals went in and out so fast I didn’t see it and sportsnet was talking about something else and then sort of low key , said goal.

I don’t know that he scored until seconds later.
Watching the 2 goals vs Lundqvist in slow-mo, he was barely in butterfly by the time the puck was past him in both instances without him having made the slightest movement towards the puck, and he's supposed to be a reaction goalie.

I guess the idea is to be big and cover as much as possible. Or to guess where he'll shoot.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
One totally non-hockey related question. I have been wondering how Patty and Nik are doing so much stuff with Audi while Toyota is official sponsor. I would be furious if I was working at Toyota PR.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
One of his His XG numbers has him around 48% this year... If we had a team full of guys like this we would be loosing more often than winning.

Bolded is not true. XG doesn't count the ability to score. I just guess Scheifele and Wheeler have even lower XG%, but that doesn't turn them bad players. Looking for shot charts by Laine also tells you that he can beat the goalies from a far without a screen so essentially he can turn many low-XG chances into high-XG chances, and he did that also back in FEL.

Just use WAR(82) if you need a decisive stat on someones contribution on winning. Laine had huge WAR numbers last season, and I guess his numbers are quite good this season as well. The only problem is these stats are hidden somewhere under a rock and you cannot pretty much find those unless some stats guy tweets them after a season.

Let's forget the fact that Laine has been great on PP, contributing to victories. If we take into account only the 5-on-5, Laine has +17 goal difference (I see that empty netters do not count). Buff has +12, Perreault +11. Stastny has +10, but most of that are from his previous team. I don't think you can ask more from a player.

Asmola

Jul 12, 2017
So is this game and hat trick big news in Finland today?
Well, this is from biggest finnish news site..
BZxJvpw.png

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
Watching the 2 goals vs Lundqvist in slow-mo, he was barely in butterfly by the time the puck was past him in both instances without him having made the slightest movement towards the puck, and he's supposed to be a reaction goalie.

I guess the idea is to be big and cover as much as possible. Or to guess where he'll shoot.
In Rangers broadcast they analyzed Laine's shot. Former goalie Steve Valiquette said Laine's shot is very hard for the goalie because he turns his blade at the end of shot. Lundqvist said the same thing in post game interview. He thought Laine would go for the glove but then he turned the blade just before the puck left his stick. Don't remember what goal he was talking about. So it is not only about the velocity and pure accuracy of the shot.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
In Rangers broadcast they analyzed Laine's shot. Former goalie Steve Valiquette said Laine's shot is very hard for the goalie because he turns his blade at the end of shot. Lundqvist said the same thing in post game interview. He thought Laine would go for the glove but then he turned the blade just before the puck left his stick. Don't remember what goal he was talking about. So it is not only about the velocity and pure accuracy of the shot.

I remember watching his replays last year, and it seemed that he doesn't make the decision regarding location of the shot, until the very last second. So what is said above makes sense. He can have his head down through the whole play and just glance as the puck is leaving his stick. Most shooters are planning their shot long before that point.

Reactions: Ippenator

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
xG, at least one of the xG formulas take shooter history into account. Laine's high shooting % history will factor into his current xG

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
At 5vs5 Laine's xgf +/- is -2.4.

Laine's individual expected goals for is 9.3 and his actual goals for is 19.

Laine's slightly negative xgf% is massively outdone by his shooting quality.

xG, at least one of the xG formulas take shooter history into account. Laine's high shooting % history will factor into his current xG

Corsica's doesn't, which is the only public one AFAIK.

Reactions: Ippenator

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
At 5vs5 Laine's xgf +/- is -2.4.

Laine's individual expected goals for is 9.3 and his actual goals for is 19.

Laine's slightly negative xgf% is massively outdone by his shooting quality.

Corsica's doesn't, which is the only public one AFAIK.
Laine's xG numbers should self correct over time as he has more shooting history...

Reactions: kxx

DuckyChuck

May 6, 2015

I tend to watch the home team's broadcast when the Jet's are playing out of town, and I have never heard a broadcast duo gush over an opposing team player as much as they did about Laine. During the intermissions and post-game, they talked about him more than all the Ranger's players combined. The first question they ask Hank is about Laine and then had like 3 follow-up questions, all with regards to Laine. If MSG is calling the game against NJD, it could be another Laine love-fest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad