Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It's just weird to watch lot of NA guys skate during summers and praise it, hire skating coaches and then listen to a hf poster basically say it's pointless.
When those guys are training with the best in the business and guys who are professionals.

Canada/USA have the CV in this World, they keep producing elite players with elite skaters year after year, not Finland or Rautala.

I could be completely wrong here but I don't think the Jets were perfectly happy in the shape Laine was at the start of pre season/regular season.

And to make point clear, no one has said here stop the off ice training, I've defended Rautala in the past, but dammit add skating practises into the mix.

But this is just going to drive people crazy here so I'll stop with this skating argument.
Different players + different situations + different weaknesses + different strengths = different training needs and development needs.

This is what you just don’t seem to realize here. I will leave this skating debate also from my part to this comment.

Last edited:

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Different players + different situations + different weaknesses + different strengths = different training needs and development needs.

This is what you just don’t seem to realize here. I will leave this skating debate also from my part to this comment.

So are you saying players in Rautala's group have personified training regiments?

To which player in Rautala's Group would you recommend skating training?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And if that's the case, you think Laine would do the same exact mistake against the wishes of the people who will eventually pay him 9 figures. What makes you think so?

He's not skating this summer or is he?

Well this was a weak answer.

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
He's not skating this summer or is he?
I don't know. My point is that whatever he does or doesn't is also approved by Jets fitness personnel. Jets want to maximize his capabilities just like we do, and they have a shitload more money tied to him than we do. That's why it's just idiotic to assume that he's ruining his development with sticking to something that hasn't been working for him in the past. Let's just wait and see and not panic online and paint false pictures of some evil trainer ruining him trying to turn him into a bodybuilder.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't know. My point is that whatever he does or doesn't is also approved by Jets fitness personnel. Jets want to maximize his capabilities just like we do, and they have a ****load more money tied to him than we do. That's why it's just idiotic to assume that he's ruining his development with sticking to something that hasn't been working for him in the past. Let's just wait and see and not panick online and paint false pictures of some evil training ruining him trying to turn him into a bodybuilder.

Who's said ruining?

Fact is Laine was in garbage skating shape to start the season, he himself admitted it and was beating himself for it.
So this season maybe not try avoiding skating for 4-6 months straigth.

Last edited:
Reactions: QuietContrarian

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I would leave thinking about Laine's summer training to the actual highly trained professionals who are behind it.

If Jets felt that Laine's training was botchered by incompetent people, they would interfere with it. He's a 100+ million dollar investment for the Winnipeg Jets organization in the long term.

We could also leave all challenges against the coach, GM or mgment out of all discussions as well - after all, they are the pro's and we are just fans. Wouldn't the boards be a blast if all we did was agree with everything we are told?

Let the fans discuss, debate and challenge - let the opinions, concerns and points of view flow.

The fact that he is a potential $100M investment is going to drive a lot of discussion - and a lot of it will focus on Laine's training, development, growth, weaknesses, strengths, and so on - some of it may also be about his beard, the cereal he eats, and his preference in hamburgers - It's all good.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Laine HAS to improve stamina and his first step. I am quite sure they will focus more on skating later when the necessary pieces are in place. Maybe already next off-season. Please chill all

Reactions: Ippenator

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Laine HAS to improve stamina and his first step. I am quite sure they will focus more on skating later when the necessary pieces are in place. Maybe already next off-season. Please chill all

But he’s not developing with his current trainer, hence why people are so concerned. His program seems to be similar to last year’s when he didn’t develop his skating at all. There’s no reason to expect that to change.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
It's way smarter to build muscle and strength in early 20s. Laine have maybe 1-2 years left to build muscle with easy mode.

Reactions: Ippenator

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I would leave thinking about Laine's summer training to the actual highly trained professionals who are behind it.

If Jets felt that Laine's training was botchered by incompetent people, they would interfere with it. He's a 100+ million dollar investment for the Winnipeg Jets organization in the long term.

My thoughts exactly. No one is going to let this investment and this potential not reach its peak. No one.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
If Patrik says he needs some time out from hockey (and skating) during summer, I tend to think there is some wisdom in it.

Psychological aspect is always present there with Patrik. The main reason of his "inconsistency", and "feel to hockey".

In the ideal world he would do everything perfectly with his physical summer training, and keeping his head intact during whole season as well.

In real world, with real people, things may not be as simple as that. To be able to perform for his personal maximum, Laine may really need some time of his own.

Like we all do, in whatever lines of life we may be part of. The feel of doing (this and that) is also something we should remember when we talk about living person(s).

Last edited:
Reactions: Nate070

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That Laine article also contains Rautala’s Training program!

Monday: Foot day, weights + Aerobia
Tuesday: Upper body strength training + Badminton or tennis
Wednesday: Speed training with rubber bands I guess, fences and shot put with a 4 kg ball + mobility exercise
Thursday: Foot day, weights + 1 hour floor ball game 5vs5 (heart rate 160-170)
Friday: Quota interval, stair running + upper body
Saturday: Recovery, bench press
Sunday: Rest

Question: why the heck are they wasting time with badminton, floor ball, tennis etc, couldn’t they use that time for on-ice training to learn to skate? I’ll answer this myself: because Rautala is a gym coach who doesn’t know skating. Follow-up question: is this smart?
I’ve been saying that Rautala is not a hockey player coach but a strength trainer, and he’d never suggest any skating technique training because it’s fully outside his area of expertise! I’m hoping Laine wisens up soon and changes trainers.
I saw an interview with Rautala where he says he hasn't really changed the training regimen in 30-40 years. Not sure if I see that as a positive.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If Patrik says he needs some time out from hockey (and skating) during summer, I tend to think there is some wisdom in it.

Psychological aspect is always present there with Patrik. The main reason of his "inconsistency", and "feel to hockey".

In the ideal world he would do everything perfectly with his physical summer training, and keeping his head intact during whole season as well.

In real world, with real people, things may not be as simple as that. To be able to perform for his personal maximum, Laine may really need some time of his own.

Like we all do, in whatever lines of life we may be part of. The feel of doing (this and that) is also something we should remember when we talk about living person(s).

Everyone needs a little time for themselves (and family) - get away from it all - absolute must.
Is there a discussion stating otherwise?

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Everyone needs a little time for themselves (and family) - get away from it all - absolute must.
Is there a discussion stating otherwise?

Sure. No.

Only that we don't have to go that deep in our speculations. Probably Laine himself knows best what is best for him.

If he reads these boards he may get some perspective to the depth of thoughs of his fandom. That it would change anything, lol, hopefully not!!!

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
It's way smarter to build muscle and strength in early 20s. Laine have maybe 1-2 years left to build muscle with easy mode.

I still don't understand how some are polarizing this discussion between strength and skating. How does adding one skate training (or replacing one badminton game with skate training) to his week programme absolutely ruin his bodybuilding gains?

Honestly his training programme doesn't look hard at all. It's pretty much what I do, and I'm a old guy now, training for fun and keeping fit. And that is kinda ok I guess if you want to build strength. You can't build that if you tire yourself too much. Anyway one skating training per week with focus on technique should not be too tiring for young fit lad.

Also I somewhat disagree that he'd be in some hurry building strength. I see bodybuilding as a very long road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad