Patrik Laine II: The Roof Still is Still On (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine needs to be in a perfect situation to succeed. If he could play his game, with someone like Barkov or Panarin, he'd do great. With Columbus, he kind of stepped into a weird situation. It would take a very special player to do well. But aside from the circumstances, Laine and Columbus were never a dream combo.

You mean it would take a very special player to help Laine?

Because regular boring hockey players are outscoring Laine in Columbus. Among regular forwards he is last or close to it in 5v5 scoring rate. Jack Roslovic is scoring at the highest points per game pace since Panarin.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
The results aren't there. He's no closer to being a developed athlete than he was five years ago.

Did he train for like 6-8 weeks with those guys? Or was it a few sessions here and a few sessions there?
all summer with them. Not quite sure total lenght but surely 6-8 weeks

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Why do you think he regularly gets outmuscled and outworked by opposing players?
The training program is important. He can work as much as he wants if he does not develop certain of his weaknesses enough. In addition, you're not quite right when he wants to
"outmuscled and outworked" his opponents. Unfortunately, it is WHEN HE WANTS

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I follow OSU football as far as wins and losses but that’s about it.

Laine is an elite talent but is he an elite player? That remains to be seen and it makes sense you’d want to give another coach the opportunity to find out.

With right circumstances and management yes he is, if depending on those things means player is not, that is true too

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
The results aren't there. He's no closer to being a developed athlete than he was five years ago.

Did he train for like 6-8 weeks with those guys? Or was it a few sessions here and a few sessions there?

All summer or autumn rather. Every summer he trains together with a dozen of other Finnish players including guys like Barkov and Rantanen, both who are beasts physically. This year he practiced in a smaller group and more closely with Barkov due to COVID. Here's one comment given by Ville Nieminen translated from Finnish media:
-I was following them for one and a half month. Laine has practiced with Barkov and I know that for any athlete it's quite a challenge to get used to Sasha's training amounts and the program, which is made for a top athlete. I know there's a constant challenge to practice with Sasha. The guys were quite exhausted the final weeks, but that's how it has to be. If you want to play 56 games in 116 days, you have to be in the shape to play those 56 games. They have done the work.

If anything, there has been some critics saying that the guru behind the Finnish NHL guy's practice focuses too much on endurance at the cost of peak speed, but those critics have calmed down after the success of Barkov, Rantanen & co.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
You mean it would take a very special player to help Laine?

Because regular boring hockey players are outscoring Laine in Columbus. Among regular forwards he is last or close to it in 5v5 scoring rate. Jack Roslovic is scoring at the highest points per game pace since Panarin.
Laine is a different kind of a player and a person. He's always been a top prospect, and treated accordingly. He's a big star in Finland. So when I say it would take a special type of player to succeed, I mean it would take a special kind of a top player to get dropped into a new system and a new city, with no support system during Covid, and a dinosaur coach, and do well. What does Jack Roslovic have to do with it? The expectations and the mental aspect are completely different. Roslovic is American, isn't he from Columbus? I am not defending Laine, I am not a fan. I am just saying, he wasn't exactly put in a position to succeed.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Laine is a different kind of a player and a person. He's always been a top prospect, and treated accordingly. He's a big star in Finland. So when I say it would take a special type of player to succeed, I mean it would take a special kind of a top player to get dropped into a new system and a new city, with no support system during Covid, and a dinosaur coach, and do well. What does Jack Roslovic have to do with it? The expectations and the mental aspect are completely different. Roslovic is American, isn't he from Columbus? I am not defending Laine, I am not a fan. I am just saying, he wasn't exactly put in a position to succeed.

You’re right that circumstances have not been ideal and that things are stacked against him, as they are everyone. If he was a superstar, he would show more signs of overcoming.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
He hasn’t been put in a position to succeed what so ever , and many of our fans here know that . He came to the blue jackets , and looked like a bona fide superstar in his first 5 games , then Torts started with his BS , Colt Trainer mentality , benched him like 6 games in , few games pass , he scores a goal , has an assist , gets benched in 3rd , and Torts sits him in the overtime we lose . From there , he saw patchwork line mates , Nash , Foligno moved to center, Stenlund , and the line can never set up in the zone . To take it a step further , he gets demoted to 2nd powerplay , and get this , plays on the powerplay with Jenner, Foligno, & Atkinson . Just in last couple games Domi was put back at center , that’s a whole other load of Torts , and his great coaching , but Torts let it slip yesterday in interview with Jackets Insider , that usually He has say on lineups etc , but Jarmo is now discussing with him what he wants to see the rest of the season . You would think our fans just fresh off watching Wennberg torch us for a hat trick last week, that our fans would get it . Yes the same Wennberg, that like Domi, like Laine , like Karlsson, played afraid to mess up .

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
But he is not a super star. Guys, he is not Panarin. He's just not. He is what he is. Torts needs to adjust and get what he can out of a very talented player.

Nobody is trying to make him Panarin. We very much want him to be Patrik Laine.

However, there is no harm in trying to transform his game into something a little better. He is 6'5, and should play like it. I'm not even talking about being physical, I don't care if he never throws another hit ever, but he should be able to use his reach and his size to protect the puck better and create chances for himself and his teammates by getting to the net.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Wait, is it Torts fault for not getting enough out of a "very talented player" (your words) or is Patrik Laine not a very good player?
It's not the point. What is the best interest of the team? Things are not working. So changes have to happen. Ideally, Laine is reborn over the summer, and becomes Ovechkin or Crosby. I wouldn't put my money on it. So what can the team do to make him more effective? Maybe trade him, if he is not a good fit. Or find a way to get production out of him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It's not the point. What is the best interest of the team? Things are not working. So changes have to happen. Ideally, Laine is reborn over the summer, and becomes Ovechkin or Crosby. I wouldn't put my money on it. So what can the team do to make him more effective? Maybe trade him, if he is not a good fit. Or find a way to get production out of him.

The best interests of the team is for Laine to buy in and start using his body more to do the things I said earlier. If he's not in shape enough to do it right now, or if he's nursing an injury, and it results in him struggling this year until next. Then so be it.

He wanted to be the man. He wanted to be the #1 option. He's got it. There are things that come along with those expecations. If he wanted to just stand on the left dot and pound one timers all day he shouldn't have asked out of Winnipeg. Want to be the man, Patty? Well, play like it.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Torts is gone in 12 games . You start there

Reactions: thegr8one66

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Right. And then, come up with a plan on how to work with the personnel they have left - and add good pieces. The problem is, UFAs do not want to come / stay and I don't think it's just a Torts issue.
So you move Werenski this summer for a dynamic #1c , we have most likely 3 1st round picks this draft, maybe Chinakov comes over after his season concludes in KHL, you have Marchenko that is 1 yr away , and looks to be a stud . As I said though , first order of business is name a new coach, I’m assuming from the rumors that Jukka Jalonen will be on that staff , get ready for draft, and see what trade options are available . This team is much better than they played this season .

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
So you move Werenski this summer for a dynamic #1c , we have most likely 3 1st round picks this draft, maybe Chinakov comes over after his season concludes in KHL, you have Marchenko that is 1 yr away , and looks to be a stud . As I said though , first order of business is name a new coach, I’m assuming from the rumors that Jukka Jalonen will be on that staff , get ready for draft, and see what trade options are available . This team is much better than they played this season .

Just curious, where have you seen rumors that Jalonen will be joining?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
IMHO 1C isn`t so important if are players with chemistry. IMHO it`s more important to look at players, the lines/joins. For example, Roslovic and Atkinson have good chemistry. Let Domi with Laine and move Bjorkstrand to Texier. Don`t change and we`ll see what we need. Rebuilding a team isn`t only buying what stay bad, or what has a nice name, but gradually completing the puzzle.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Just curious, where have you seen rumors that Jalonen will be joining?
I’m sure at this point nothing has been offered . Finnish press on April 1 was reporting and confirmed that Jarmo had been talking with Jalonen. Could be purely coincidence , but press was speculating he would come over as an Assistant . Would be pretty sweet to have Manny Malhotra , and Jukka Jalonen on his staff :thumbu:

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Ok no offense but what dynamic #1c do you get for Werenski? Love ZW but he's not a #1 D (the guy who can play 25 min a game and go against the Crosby's of the world) - so are you getting for him? You can get a 1C for Seth, or Chalie McAvoy or Provy. I just don't think Werenski, for all his offensive talent, will get that sort of return. And I am not saying the other guys are more talented; they are just more cornerstone-type players you give up top talent for.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Ok no offense but what dynamic #1c do you get for Werenski? Love ZW but he's not a #1 D (the guy who can play 25 min a game and go against the Crosby's of the world) - so are you getting for him? You can get a 1C for Seth, or Chalie McAvoy or Provy. I just don't think Werenski, for all his offensive talent, will get that sort of return. And I am not saying the other guys are more talented; they are just more cornerstone-type players you give up top talent for.
But a good winger yes. If Domi, Roslovic and Texier will continue, we won`t need 1C, just get a good winger. Look, Laine--Domi--xxx, xxx--Roslovic--Atkinson, Nyquist--Texier--Bjorkstrand. Don`t forget Jenner, maybe Foligno, we have Bemstrom (I believe Emil) too. And I would like to see Voronkov here. He`s a beast in PO one of the best players KHL. It would be very good to buy his contract for us, IMHO.
So, do you want to take Toronto way, which spends money just like that, or gradually build a good team like Tampa?

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
But a good winger yes. If Domi, Roslovic and Texier will continue, we won`t need 1C, just get a good winger. Look, Laine--Domi--xxx, xxx--Roslovic--Atkinson, Nyquist--Texier--Bjorkstrand. Don`t forget Jenner, maybe Foligno, we have Bemstrom (I believe Emil) too. And I would like to see Voronkov here. He`s a beast in PO one of the best players KHL. It would be very good to buy his contract for us, IMHO.
So, do you want to take Toronto way, which spends money just like that, or gradually build a good team like Tampa?
The Bolts do have some magic going. Greatly helped by drafting and developing one and only Andrei Vasilevskiy. It doesn't hurt that Tampa is a great place to live (and has lower taxes). South Tampa and Davis Island are just beautiful. The weather is fantastic. Blue sky, beautiful beaches and Lightning flags all over town - nobody ever wants to leave. Can Columbus ever be like Tampa and get that sort of player loyalty? I don't know. But yes, I agree with your point overall. I don't like the Toronto way. Never mind the fact that they nothing to show for all the money they've spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad