Patrick

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Laughton-Patrick actually look pretty good together. I'll give the kid a pass on his season so far since he's young and LOLHakstol.

A fast RW would be nice. We better get Panarin in the offseason.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think Patrick eventually will adjust, but his upside is limited due to his skating. He has great deception & good hands, but he just can’t create any room for himself at the NHL level right now.

He’s not a 2nd line caliber NHL center for a team that wants to compete. I’m fine with him as 3C.

Reactions: Johnk0728

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Laughton-Patrick actually look pretty good together. I'll give the kid a pass on his season so far since he's young and LOLHakstol.

A fast RW would be nice. We better get Panarin in the offseason.

Panarin is LW but your point still stands.

Panarin - Patrick - Lindblom would be nice.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Give me a 3rd line with Lindblom, Patrick, & a jet speed RW they don’t have (TK has to be top 6) & I’m fine. Someone like Byron.

I’d consider playing Laughton or Lindblom on the off wing & having both flank Patrick, though.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Give me a 3rd line with Lindblom, Patrick, & a jet speed RW they don’t have (TK has to be top 6) & I’m fine. Someone like Byron.

I’d consider playing Laughton or Lindblom on the off wing & having both flank Patrick, though.
Grabner would’ve been nice. Silfverberg is a free agent after this year, he would fit nicely but would probably be too costly for the 3rd line.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Grabner would’ve been nice. Silfverberg is a free agent after this year, he would fit nicely but would probably be too costly for the 3rd line.
Yeah, they need to find a cheaper younger Grabner for that line. Easier said than done.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Said it over the summer and I'll say it again. Hextall should have traded Simmonds and signed Grabner. Grabner was/is exactly the type of winger the Flyers could use on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Grebinator

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Couturier's skating issue was always overblown. He's got a good long stride up ice, even better than Patrick, I think, though Patrick flashes better short area burst. Neither are good with their agility/edge work in the cycle game. It's also why he is pretty poor on PP2 along the wall. But Couturier has a more upright stance and is strong puck protecting; so he generates space by turning his back and playing keep away and playing a power game down low. Patrick -- and surely a lot of it is maturity -- struggles to create space on the puck; he doesn't have that protecting ability. When he can do that, his arsenal will be unlocked.

It's why he can't use his very good shot in dangerous spots; or has to be a little quick with his sneaky good passing. He's also quite conservative/low confidence on entries or attacking defenders. He needs help with a primary on-puck creator, at least for now, and probably could stand to be less perimeter off and on puck. He has a few endless low to high cycle tendencies, which Laughton and Raffl are guilty of as well.

His expectations are even higher than Couturier's at a similar age. We know Couturier's career was one of gross mismanagement, a rush to conclusions, and a failure for some to identify his success. I'm actually okay with Patrick as a sheltered 3C at ES, provided he has better linemates with more creativity/skill. But he needs to play net front on PP1, instead of gifting a declining, hopefully departing Simmonds those minutes. A few PP goals do wonders for confidence. And frankly, he's just better at multiple things there, and the unit needs that versatility.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Couturier's skating issue was always overblown. He's got a good long stride up ice, even better than Patrick, I think, though Patrick flashes better short area burst. Neither are good with their agility/edge work in the cycle game. It's also why he is pretty poor on PP2 along the wall. But Couturier has a more upright stance and is strong puck protecting; so he generates space by turning his back and playing keep away and playing a power game down low. Patrick -- and surely a lot of it is maturity -- struggles to create space on the puck; he doesn't have that protecting ability. When he can do that, his arsenal will be unlocked.

It's why he can't use his very good shot in dangerous spots; or has to be a little quick with his sneaky good passing. He's also quite conservative/low confidence on entries or attacking defenders. He needs help with a primary on-puck creator, at least for now, and probably could stand to be less perimeter off and on puck. He has a few endless low to high cycle tendencies, which Laughton and Raffl are guilty of as well.

His expectations are even higher than Couturier's at a similar age. We know Couturier's career was one of gross mismanagement, a rush to conclusions, and a failure for some to identify his success. I'm actually okay with Patrick as a sheltered 3C at ES, provided he has better linemates with more creativity/skill. But he needs to play net front on PP1, instead of gifting a declining, hopefully departing Simmonds those minutes. A few PP goals do wonders for confidence. And frankly, he's just better at multiple things there, and the unit needs that versatility.
There aren't many players in the NHL with a worse "short area burst" than Patrick, especially now that Lehtera is gone.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There aren't many players in the NHL with a worse "short area burst" than Patrick, especially now that Lehtera is gone.

That’s your opinion. I think he has deceptive power in his stride at times in a short straight line. But he has mediocre edge work, which is huge for deception in tight, along with general body dekes.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
That’s your opinion. I think he has deceptive power in his stride at times in a short straight line. But he has mediocre edge work, which is huge for deception in tight.
I think you're wrong on this one. If I had to pick out Patrick's biggest flaw it easily is lack of acceleration. He has no initial burst. If he did, he'd be a hell of a lot more effective.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Last year, Patrick looked a lot better after the X-Mas break even though the points were not there. The points started coming the last game in Jan onward. Let's hope that happens again. He needs to be a good #2 C so Frost can be that sheltered #3C next year.

Reactions: Rebels57

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I posted in this thread right before Christmas about how he’s has looked pretty decent the 4-5 games Gordon took over, but since then another couple lacklustre games and then gets injured again... I’ve been a Nolan Patrick truther since day one. Since I’m a Canucks AND flyers fan, the 2017 season consisted of me following the draft pretty closely since I knew Vancouver was going to be awful that year. Patrick stayed 1 for me the entire year as I saw his body of work translating into a Sean Monahan type C, but man for a number 2 overall pick he’s been so mediocre at literally everything he does this year. He needs to pick it up or Philadelphia is in big trouble with that pick.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I just love the idea if having prime coots and prime patrick down the middle. Thats going to be a nightmare for teams to match up against in the playoffs.

Reactions: dingbathero

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Couturier scored 15 points in 46 games in his second year and he turned out OK.
Often when a team has a bad season, it's because players who were expected to fill big roles come up short of expectations. That's often due to youth or injury. The other big factor in bad seasons is usually goaltending.

In 06/07, when the Flyers had the worst record in the league, the organization expected Richards and Carter to be ready for big roles at age 21, but they came up far short of expectations. Pitkanen also had a down sophomore season from his rookie year, littered with mistakes when he was expected to their #1 workhorse. Umberger was another young guy who they expected to be ready for a bigger role and wasn't. Forsberg couldn't help bail them out because he only played half the season. And their goaltending with Esche and Nitty was an abomination.

The current season is very reminiscent. The goaltending is as bad as it gets in the league. Konecny, Patrick, and Lindblom aren't having anywhere near the seasons expected at their young ages. And Provorov and Ghost are having poor seasons as young heralded defensemen playing top minutes, just like Pitkanen did.

It's also reminiscent of when they missed the playoffs in the 12/13 lockout year. Couturier and Schenn weren't nearly ready to make the kind of offensive impact expected at ages 19 and 21. Luke Schenn was a massive bust of a supposed young heavy minute defenseman. Gagne and Briere suffered injuries and fell off a cliff, somewhat like Simmonds this year. And, well, Bryzgalov in net -- enough said.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
For all the "intelligent people" that seem to post here, I'm baffled that the idea of non linear development isn't understood. The kid is 21. Not everyone can be McDavid.

Reactions: Freddy The Fog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad