Patrick

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
It's hard to speculate about his upside right now. He's still only in his third season. Look at Nathan MacKinnon's numbers. He looked like a career 50-60 point player until he had a breakout season in his fifth year.

That said, if Patrick's next season is as bad as this one, he could be a "change of scenery" candidate.
MacKinnon has always had an elite skill set that Patrick lacks. The problem with Patrick is that he dominated the WHL with his cerebral playmaking ability, except he was largely dependent on the extra time/space that he isn't granted in the NHL. It's why he was so much more effective on the PP relative to even strength, and why he could score so many goals despite his slow release. In that sense, he's more comparable to Dylan Strome... granted Strome was only able to turn things around after a change of scenery.

Reactions: FlyersFan

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
MacKinnon has always had an elite skill set that Patrick lacks. The problem with Patrick is that he dominated the WHL with his cerebral playmaking ability, except he was largely dependent on the extra time/space that he isn't granted in the NHL. It's why he was so much more effective on the PP relative to even strength, and why he could score so many goals despite his slow release. In that sense, he's more comparable to Dylan Strome... granted Strome was only able to turn things around after a change of scenery.
Yeah, Patrick isn't nearly as physically gifted as MacKinnon. Nobody is. If MacKinnon had a higher hockey IQ, he'd be in a league not even McDavid could reach.
I think Patrick could be like Couturier. Not the fastest player, but smart. We haven't seen that level of hockey sense from Patrick yet, but we've seen flashes. I really think his biggest issue right now is lack of confidence. He doesn't seem to trust his instincts right now.

Reactions: PK16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Patrick isn't scoring, but he's doing everything else the past few weeks, skating better, more physical, more assertive.
Geez, the guy hasn't play in almost two years and you want instant success?
Be happy with progress right now.

romulus augustulus

Oct 3, 2019
I'm actually suprised in a positive way that his migraines haven't flaired up again.
No expectations from my side for the rest of the season. As long as he keeps playing that's o.k.
BgQBqly.mp4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad