Patrick

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
no one on this team plays up to their tallent level consistantly, except for giroux because he jdgaf and just does his thing. most times they are thinking about doing what the coach wants and don't know what to do when that isn't working. on another team with a competent coach he might be the player everyone thinks he should be.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Patrick does not need to play 17+ minutes a night as a 20 year old.

Yeah, I complained about Patrick's playing time early last season, but at 15:24 a game (sixth among forwards) that doesn't seem to be an issue this season.

last couple months of last year were super encouraging.

Yep, he was looking really good, so we know that the talk about him being "garbage" is just that, garbage talk.

Give him 15 minutes steady minutes with some actual strong wingers that suit him and just let him work it out

He and Oskar look like magic together, it slows down for a nanosecond, and the stunned donkey-****er behind the bench banishes Oskar to the nether reaches and saddles Patrick with a literal horse. So lets demote Patrick to the minors. Hahahaha. The **** are we even doing.

I'd change his wingers, but 3C behind Giroux and Couturier is a good spot for him.

I was looking at Nolan's 5-on-5 teammate numbers from last season and they were saying, loud and clear, that he and Oskar are a natural fit. Their numbers slid a bit early this season, but that was no reason to lose patience. These guys should play together.

The other question is: who should play on the right side? Some of Jake's numbers with Nolan look good, but the ones that really count (goals for and goals against) are disappointing. Why? Nolan and Jake are similar players. Each of them is a playmaker who needs a shooter. Jake had one when he played with G and Nolan had one in the somewhat limited minutes he played with Konecny this season.

I like Curu's idea of G centering a first line and Nolan on the third. With Laughton on a fast 4th "energy" line I think you regain a strong center ice presence and a team that can roll four lines for an up-tempo game that fits what's needed in the "new" NHL.

About his skating... I know this has probably been a pretty common criticism, but it clearly needs some work. At times he looks like he's flying out there. Most games, however, it's not very pretty to look at. Is there anyone in the organization other than the offseason power skating coaches, who focus on that aspect when working with the young guys on off-days/practices? I feel as though Couturier managed to overcome some deficiencies there as well, and it seemed to coincide with his breakthrough.

Nolan is a good skater with fine edge-work. He gets up to good speed, but it seems to take a little longer than you'd like. Hopefully, Slava is working with him on developing more explosiveness in his first stride.

ItMe

Jan 4, 2017
Considering this franchise won't fire Hak, I wouldn't be against seeing Patrick in the AHL

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Patrick is averaging 15+ minutes per game. For most of the season he’s been the 2C with the team’s 2nd best scorer on his wing. He had an opportunity & failed. He hasn’t earned more minutes; he’s earned a demotion to the 3rd line. Maybe that will help. Less pressure; easier QoC.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Oh-key and who would play better than him? Veccione? :sarcasm:
Hey... it's worth a shot if that means rescuing Patrick's development. Although the better option would be making a minor trade for the best waiver-eligible, fringe player you can get with a late round pick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Varone looks fine as the 4C right now.
Move Lindblom back with Patrick, Laughton to 4C, trade Simmonds and get a fast young RW to pair with Patrick.

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
Nolan is a good skater with fine edge-work. He gets up to good speed, but it seems to take a little longer than you'd like. Hopefully, Slava is working with him on developing more explosiveness in his first stride.

I've been watching him closely this year hoping to see a more explosive skater, but IMO he isn't really isn't skating any better than last year, which surprises me. His edge work looks good, but he's not as strong on his skates as I expected either. He falls or gets knocked off the puck more than he should working in the corners. I'd love to see him play more with TK, but moving him off the 1st line would hurt. This team desperately needs another sniper. IMO, that's the biggest organizational need going forward.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I've been watching him closely this year hoping to see a more explosive skater, but IMO he isn't really isn't skating any better than last year, which surprises me. His edge work looks good, but he's not as strong on his skates as I expected either. He falls or gets knocked off the puck more than he should working in the corners. I'd love to see him play more with TK, but moving him off the 1st line would hurt. This team desperately needs another sniper. IMO, that's the biggest organizational need going forward.
I agree. I was hoping with an actual offseason to train, there would be a noticeable uptick in skating and overall development. It didn't happen. But last year after the X-Mas break he looked a lot better than the 1st part of the year so hopefully this year will be the same.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
His top speed appears better. But his first few steps are stuck in mud. Acceleration is much more important than top gear. He can’t create room for himself because of his lack of acceleration & agility. It’s too bad, because he has quick hands.

Reactions: tymed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad