ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
@The Batman

WT6G5Rs.gif

Don't encourage him.

Reactions: Del Preston

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
I'm sorry but Benning needs to play above Russell on second pair or call up Bouchard I don't care I can't watch Russell as the 2RD anymore.

Benning has consistently proven that he can't handle anything above third pairing minutes prior to this season. What purpose other then dramatically failing would that serve?

Persson should be back hopefully soon. Leave Bouchard where he is.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The thing about your guys team is that the top end talent on the roster is obviously world class and the depth is not great cause of Pistol Pete but Tippett made a career taking teams with grinders to the playoffs every year and so this roster is really the best he's ever had and really suits him well. Not that surprising to see your team much more competitive this year with him behind the bench.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm sorry but Benning needs to play above Russell on second pair or call up Bouchard I don't care I can't watch Russell as the 2RD anymore.
I think what you are looking for is Benning needs to be traded for an upgrade while he's showing good value as a player.

Benning should keep playing his sheltered minutes, unsheltering him has predictable results

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bonus fun fact: Nurse and Klefbom are now 5th and 8th in the league, respectively, in even strength P/60 for defensemen who have played at least 60 minutes.

Nurse is going to own the Oilers with that new contract. They're going to regret that bridge deal. If he puts up 40+ points all at freaking even strength (which appear quite possible at this point), he's getting the Trouba contract. Another Chia parting gift.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Ok win... I actually prefer the 6-3 type win where the score is more lop-sided and McDavid pops 5 pts... but I'll take this flavour of win as well.

Koskinen rock solid in net... guy has a 93.4% save pct which is phenomenal so far.

Yup and everyone was ripping him a new one in the off season . They also had Bear tossed into everyone of their trade proposals . Points be damn Draisaitl has been better then McDavid . Count them up that 3 studs 2 of which Oiler fans never wanted to keep and 1 which fans of other teams bash . LOL at 1 NYR fan calling Draisaitl a 40 point player with out McDavid

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Starting to think James Neal might be the real deal here.. obviously I don’t think he’s gonna get 82 goals.. things have to come down to reality here right lol.. but yeah gotta think 20+ is a given now, mcdavid will at least Bounce 10 more pucks off him into the net this year so.. let’s say 30+ is likely

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The Real Steal James Neal has MORE GOALS THAN ANYBODY ON CALGARY HAS POINTS.....
But but Lucic has 26 minutes in the box all of which were game changing . LOL at the bashers this summer when Oilers fans were predicting a 25 + goal year from Neal .

I get it tho . If I was Neal I wouldn't want to play in Calgary either . Probably packed it in the 1st day of the season . You see how happy he looks in Edmonton ? More smiles in 1 game then he had the whole year in Calgary . Not bashing the city of Calgary just the team .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Gotta give Koskinen credit. Hes been great this year.

Bear is a revelation for this team. Hes been awesome.

Thank you Treliving for Neal.

I always believe in Koskinen . Fans forget he came over from the KHL where they don't play close to as many games as the NHL . Once first shot Talbot was no longer an option TMac ran Koskinen into the ground . I agree with the fan that said start Smith next game . Both guys are playing well . Keep them rest and sharp .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Really doesn’t matter how many posts or chances we missed , if it wasn’t for koskinen making some big saves we would’ve lost , like many games last year

And Bernier gets no credit for keeping the Wings in it ? Edmonton 1st cup the NYI owned them and Grant Fuhr played amazing and got a 1 nothing victory . Gave the Oilers the confidence they needed to beat the NYI even after Fuhr went down with an injury .

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I loved what Holland had to say during the intermission. "We'd like to see more scoring from the bottom 6, but that will come". Seems like a calm and very smart man and so far a great hire.

Was it just me or did they spell general maneger wrong when they were talking to Holland?

Team played a much different game yesterday. A Tippett type game. Wonderful to see us win high scoring games and low scoring 1 goal games as well with lots of unsung heroes. I predicted a 3-1 final score in this one and if one of those guys buried that open net shot, I woulda been bang on. :)

Reactions: RegDunlop

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This was probably the 2nd worst Oilers performance of the season, and quite easily the first lines worst performance. Against virtually any but a perennial bottomfeeder like Detroit and we lost this game. As it is the Wings hit the post with a minute left to nearly tie.

I've been quite enthused with the season. But this was not a well played game by either side, and it was not a Tippett game either. You don't let the tired road opponent playing B2B get off 13 shots in the first period..

The Oilers started the season playing 4 games in which they got the counter and transition going really well.

The last 3 games the passing, timing, and puck support have been off or really awkward. Not in sync, not moving the puck up ice effectively.

Team doesn't look to have its legs right now.

Good thing we're getting some heroic goals from Bear.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This was probably the 2nd worst Oilers performance of the season, and quite easily the first lines worst performance. Against virtually any but a perennial bottomfeeder like Detroit and we lost this game. As it is the Wings hit the post with a minute left to nearly tie.

I've been quite enthused with the season. But this was not a well played game by either side, and it was not a Tippett game either. You don't let the tired road opponent playing B2B get off 13 shots in the first period..

The Oilers started the season playing 4 games in which they got the counter and transition going really well.

The last 3 games the passing, timing, and puck support have been off or really awkward. Not in sync, not moving the puck up ice effectively.

The whole defense is predicated on not having Russell play the right side and anything above the third pairing. Persson and Bear are lynchpins to the entire operation lol. With Russell playing RD, it compromises the puck moving/transition ability of two entire pairings. That's why the teams seems out of sync.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Nurse is going to own the Oilers with that new contract. They're going to regret that bridge deal. If he puts up 40+ points all at freaking even strength (which appear quite possible at this point), he's getting the Trouba contract. Another Chia parting gift.
Bear playing so well with smooth passing is helping Nurse--moreover Bear is hanging back when Nurse activates and doing a darn good job of it. Maybe best long term to put Larsson back with Nurse as soon as he returns...Lol ...lets expose him and keep our cap more reasonable. An extra million or million and half to help buy a second line guy (Kreider level) will go a long way to help this club. Tippet can always put Bear back there later lol.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Koskinen is in top form. By the sounds of his post game he is really enjoying this tandem with Smith.

D playing above there head as well.

It was nice to close out a 2-1 game expecting too.

Reactions: Oilhawks

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Has Koskinen ever been happy?

in interviews it seems like you would be hard pressed to find a pulse.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
The whole defense is predicated on not having Russell play the right side and anything above the third pairing. Persson and Bear are lynchpins to the entire operation lol. With Russell playing RD, it compromises the puck moving/transition ability of two entire pairings. That's why the teams seems out of sync.
Hmmm....I think in the first period we seen the oilers as whole trying to implement the five man up five man back as well as they could...it cost us in the O zone as most of our shots were perimeter type and it also helped Detroit's transition back. In the D zone we mostly executed fairly well as they only got a couple of serious looks. They cleaned up a couple of things for the next 40 minutes, and played Tippets system very well...better than I thought they could. For the final 10 minutes Detroit played desperate hard hockey and the Oilers systems fell apart. We seen elite play From their defenseman Green--the kind of play we lack at this point but we all hope that player is on the Farm right now.
Overall the Oilers look like a team that has learned a lot about systems but its still a work in progress.
But there are so many Positives to take from this.
Neal is scoring consistently.
Bear becoming top four in front of our eyes ...maybe in 20 or 30 games even more offense will shine through...
Sheahan doing his job more than adequately.
Prussel better defensively than most expected im sure.
Kostko standing up to the barge in this early going fairly well.

Im a bit worried about you from reading ur last couple of posts. This is just entertainment; just a game for fun.
Find the good. For me ...man im hoping Neal scores thirty...would love the opportunity to post the odd reminder in the Flames thread for years to come.

mcdraividmoto

Sep 28, 2017

Look I really enjoy reading your posts but I HATE when people say something like "Detroit hit a post with a minute left to tie it" as if the Oilers didn't hit 4 posts prior to that. Yes we played like crap, but don't use something random like that when it would've been a blowout if it wasn't for our posts.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Starting to think James Neal might be the real deal here.. obviously I don’t think he’s gonna get 82 goals.. things have to come down to reality here right lol.. but yeah gotta think 20+ is a given now, mcdavid will at least Bounce 10 more pucks off him into the net this year so.. let’s say 30+ is likely

I'll be disappointed with anything under 25 at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad