Post-Game Talk: Patrick Russell needs to recalibrate his controller

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
I loved what Holland had to say during the intermission. "We'd like to see more scoring from the bottom 6, but that will come". Seems like a calm and very smart man and so far a great hire.

Was it just me or did they spell general maneger wrong when they were talking to Holland?

Team played a much different game yesterday. A Tippett type game. Wonderful to see us win high scoring games and low scoring 1 goal games as well with lots of unsung heroes. I predicted a 3-1 final score in this one and if one of those guys buried that open net shot, I woulda been bang on. :)

They did. Sportsnet often does stuff like that, from spelling mistakes to talking about one of the Staal brothers and having the picture of a different Staal brother on the screen.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Look I really enjoy reading your posts but I HATE when people say something like "Detroit hit a post with a minute left to tie it" as if the Oilers didn't hit 4 posts prior to that. Yes we played like crap, but don't use something random like that when it would've been a blowout if it wasn't for our posts.
The Wings hit a couple posts as well, and one of the Oilers stated "posts" on a shot by Draisaitl wasn't a post at all, it was outside of cage.

With our top calibre players it should be a blowout most times we face a deplorable lineup like this. The Wings are in no way a lineup that is composed to compete. Like I said its a circa 1993 Oilers lineup with Jason Arnott and little else. Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver all had little trouble stuffing this tawdry Wings club in the trash. Its the difficulty level of facing some AHL squads except older..

meh my issue is more with the NHL perennially having half a dozen sad sack teams as bad as Detroit Red Wings (which a lot of the time was the Oilers, yeah, I know) But to have half a dozen orgs having guaranteed lose lineups any given season really waters down the NHL product. Last night was easily the least compelling match of the season and its to hard to imagine an Original 6 team being as poor a draw anywhere as the Detroit Red Wings. For a product that charges as much in ticket prices as this one does they have to weed out the teams that are just crap and start getting them to be more competitive somehow. For consistency I stated the same for years regarding us, that the league should intervene in the case of teams that are not even trying, or able, to field a competitive lineup.

If only 6 clubs in the league purposely suck, or the orgs just suck, any given season it brings down the competitive level of a whole bunch of hockey games.

Reactions: mcdraividmoto

Billy Barou

Mar 4, 2011
I've been quite enthused with the season. But this was not a well played game by either side, and it was not a Tippett game either. You don't let the tired road opponent playing B2B get off 13 shots in the first period..

There is some nuance to B2B games. Earlier in the season the advantage goes to the team playing B2B. In 2016-2017 NHL teams averaged 0.04 less points per game in B2B vs a minimum of 1 day of rest. That almost insignificant drop in PPG can be attributed to playing the back up goalie vs elite athletes being tired.

Now on a personal level; as an experienced out of shape beer leaguer I have way better skating legs the second day!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There is some nuance to B2B games. Earlier in the season the advantage goes to the team playing B2B. In 2016-2017 NHL teams averaged 0.04 less points per game in B2B vs a minimum of 1 day of rest. That almost insignificant drop in PPG can be attributed to playing the back up goalie vs elite athletes being tired.

Now on a personal level; as an experienced out of shape beer leaguer I have way better skating legs the second day!

Interesting stat. I like looking up stuff like this. Is there any good source on results in B2B games? I've tried finding that before with mixed results. Its strange in league scheduling how many B2B there are. Its not like our Arena's are all that busy. Rogers Place and Saddledome are not exactly busy places. The NHL could schedule any nights but it seems whenever teams come up here to the hinterland its back2back in 2nights and gone out of Alberta. Its a bit strange.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Nurse is going to own the Oilers with that new contract. They're going to regret that bridge deal. If he puts up 40+ points all at freaking even strength (which appear quite possible at this point), he's getting the Trouba contract. Another Chia parting gift.

Why would they regret paying $8m for a stud d-man for 8 years? Unless you think Nurse is going to regress in his 25-30 aged seasons?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Why would they regret paying $8m for a stud d-man for 8 years? Unless you think Nurse is going to regress in his 25-30 aged seasons?

I'd say they should regret it. Cause they should have signed him 3/4 years ago at 4M long term like I and other posters on here were suggesting. But nope, they wanted to wait for the obvious to happen, that is for Nurse to "prove" he could be a top 4 D-man in this league.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I'd say they should regret it. Cause they should have signed him 3/4 years ago at 4M long term like I and other posters on here were suggesting. But nope, they wanted to wait for the obvious to happen, that is for Nurse to "prove" he could be a top 4 D-man in this league.
They didn’t have to cap and he wouldn’t have signed long term at 4 million...(I don’t think lol)

replacement

Oct 20, 2018

It takes two to tango. Why would Nurse sign long term for $4m if he knew he had the potential to be making double that by just being patient? Why would his agent let him do that?

Reactions: BleedBlue67

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They didn’t have to cap and he wouldn’t have signed long term at 4 million...(I don’t think lol)

Coming off an injury riddled year where he only played 44 games and only potted 11 points, 2 years into his NHL career. Not to mention there was no guarantees he'd put up even 30 points a year let alone 44 points back then. Many posters were speculating in that 3M-4M range with alot of posters saying outright no to the long term contract, not cause there was NO WAY HED SIGN but because they viewed it as risky and wanting to wait to see what happens with his play.

I am 100% certain with how Nurse and how he was playing, how he was perceived at that time would have signed a 48 Million Dollar Contract. And people would have attacked the Oilers for "overpaying" back then, anything viewed as an overpay at the time, you better bet that player would sign it, and if he's on the fence (although i doubt he would have been) you up to 4.5M and get the deal done. Still should have done a deal like that.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
and it takes 2 sides to make a deal, Nurse is a confident guy, he probably knew he could become a player worth more than 4 million long term.

Some people live in fantasy land where they think players will just take whatever is offered.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
and it takes 2 sides to make a deal, Nurse is a confident guy, he probably knew he could become a player worth more than 4 million long term.

Some people live in fantasy land where they think players will just take whatever is offered.

Oh please. 4M or 4.5M or 5M would have been seen as an overpay at the time to a d-man who only had 11 points and only got into 44 games. If it was such a fantasy land offer then HF Oil wouldn't have been throwing numbers between 3-4M out there that season and having other fans balk at that number stating it was an overpay/too early to sign him type contract.

Nurse showed near ZERO of the offensive ability he's shown recently in those first 2 years and was still figuring out if he could do the defence thing at the NHL level.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Probably because you were cheering for both teams. ;)

Honestly, it was pretty bizarre for me.

Watched my local Michigan feed, so felt like a Red Wings game, but I wanted the Oilers to win.

Which, normally, doesn't feel weird, but those third jerseys caused them not to look like Edmonton, and they were so dark it was really hard to see player numbers or even the usual body/style type stuff that helps you identify a player.

So, it was watching my home town team vs dark blue blobs that I knew I should be rooting for but couldn't tell one player from another.

I mean, I was also super high, so might have been a factor.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Coming off an injury riddled year where he only played 44 games and only potted 11 points, 2 years into his NHL career. Not to mention there was no guarantees he'd put up even 30 points a year let alone 44 points back then. Many posters were speculating in that 3M-4M range with alot of posters saying outright no to the long term contract, not cause there was NO WAY HED SIGN but because they viewed it as risky and wanting to wait to see what happens with his play.

I am 100% certain with how Nurse and how he was playing, how he was perceived at that time would have signed a 48 Million Dollar Contract. And people would have attacked the Oilers for "overpaying" back then, anything viewed as an overpay at the time, you better bet that player would sign it, and if he's on the fence (although i doubt he would have been) you up to 4.5M and get the deal done. Still should have done a deal like that.

You think a guy who was limited by injury would say, "oh crap I think this is my peak, I better sign long term!"? That's what you'd do?

People would have attacked the Oilers for overpaying for sure. People like you attacked the Oilers for bridging him. People will attack the Oilers for signing him, or trading him, or playing him, or not playing him. People will, and are literally attacking the Oilers no matter what is happening. Heck there are people in this thread attacking the Oilers for winning!

Sometimes you get a deal, sometimes you don't. They got Drai on a great deal, Klef on a great deal, McDavid took less. Maybe Nurse gives them a hometown discount, maybe not. We'll see what happens, but we should all be pretty ecstatic if Nurse becomes a perennial 40-50pt d-man at $8m through his prime years.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Why are people saying Koski bailed us out? He had a good game, yes, but look at the shots on goal... they hemmed us in twice and didn't even get high quality chances

Agree with you for sure. But it is valid to say Koskinen was a big part of the outcome. There's three parts to possession hockey right? You gotta get the puck, you gotta keep the puck, then you gotta score. The Oilers did great at the first two, but weren't as good at the last bit. So Koskinen did play a big role in making sure the lacklustre finishing was still good enough.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Honestly, it was pretty bizarre for me.

Watched my local Michigan feed, so felt like a Red Wings game, but I wanted the Oilers to win.

Which, normally, doesn't feel weird, but those third jerseys caused them not to look like Edmonton, and they were so dark it was really hard to see player numbers or even the usual body/style type stuff that helps you identify a player.

So, it was watching my home town team vs dark blue blobs that I knew I should be rooting for but couldn't tell one player from another.

I mean, I was also super high, so might have been a factor.

haha, I was trying to figure out how this was the best game of the year. I was just going to adjust my set before Cloneds response to you. heh. Sorry for slagging the Michigan connection. I actually feel sorry for Red Wings fans. Even as an Oilers fan.

That said I never get the Red Wings plan. I don't know that this rebuild is going to work. Mostly I think that lets suck rebuild plans generally don't work, cites Oilers...;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah I dont get the Jurco hate. He was the only bottom six player creating anything last night. With honorable mention to PRussel, he had a good game too.

jurco was fine and probably had the best hands in our entire bottomsix last night. He's not gonna get a lot of help there. I saw 3 sequences at least where he tried to get something happening. This is a really bad bottomsix mostly. I'm hoping Sheahan can at least find some confidence.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Coach wanted the win but didn’t want to blow Detroit out.. it’s politics

Onto the next one!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad