Patrick Laine is one of the worst forwards in the NHL right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
contract will definaby be interestingly. Chance Winnipeg ends up nailing a ridiculously good contract .. or if they take the benefit of the doubt and trust he will pull through, it could be ridiculously bad.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
He’s not a “normal 20 year old” so playing tons of video games is okay. He’s a 20 year old professional athlete who is in position of getting maybe his biggest contract ever. Most top athletes get 2 big contracts in their career.

This guy is publicly playing a ton of video games during a huge slump while in this amazing position. Crazy.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Needs a center who can control play/distribute better than Little.

Also needs to at least try to play an NHL level 5 on 5 game.

Man. How much I'd love to see this guy playing with Matt Tkachuk and Mikael Backlund. Two guys that'll own the puck all night, and all Laine would have to do is fire shots at net :laugh:

That all being said, Bryan Little is no slouch.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
This season has cost him $15m+. He could have signed a 10.5x8 if he kept up a decent goal scoring pace, and was at least average in other aspects of the game.

I have a hard time Winnipeg offers more than 8x8. Even that might be high.

They might just deal him for some more consistent players near the deadline.

It's a strange situation.
After his complete bed wetting this year, the term on his deal will be 5 years at 8aav, which I still think is a gross overpay.

If they give him more term they better be prepared to lie in those bed wetted sheets.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I have absolutely no issues with him having a down year this year! If we sign him low and he figures things out, fantastic! If we sign him low and he turns out to be not as good as we hoped, at least we didn't waste the extra cash!

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If this contines, it'll be an interesting off season. Thats for sure. He really should be in the AHL right now.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
I don't know what that means. I know of the game because my kids play, but how long are these "matches"?
In Fortnite you can lose in the first minute or win after a 20 minute round and wins are rare. Laine seems to pretty good at the game, so maybe he averages something like 5-10 minutes per round.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
I think Laine trained with the same team as Rantanen this year. Rantanen keeps steadily improving, but Laine has been stuck at the same level for years now. It does feel like there is a mental problem here, considering that he was struggling, went to Finland and went on a historic rampage during november and then has struggled again.

...but he is 20, a lot of stars were not NHL players at 20.

Reactions: Cellee

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Laine is a super streaky player. Like most goal scorers, and most young players. If he heats up come playoff time, watch out.
I think Laine would become more consistent as he enters his prime and peak. It is clearly something more than a case of him being streaky.

In 16-17 Laine had 36 goals and 64 assists in 73 games.
He scored 1 or more goals in 26 games, 1 or more points in 38.
That is a goal in 35% of his games, 1 or more points in 52%

In 17-18 Laine had 44 goals and 70 points in 82 games
He scored 1 or more goals in 38 games, 1 or more points in 51.
1 or more goals in 46% of his games, 1 or more point in 62%

So far in 18-19 Laine has 25 goals and 36 points in 50 games.
He has scored 1 or more goals in 15 games, and 1 or more points in 22.
1 or more goals in 30% of his games, 1 or more points in 44%

2018-2019 is slightly easier year to put up goals and points in than the 2 years prior and his points total is horrible and he is less consistent than his rookie season. If Laine has a point in his next 32 games he would still have only put up points in 65.8% of his games played this season.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
In Fortnite you can lose in the first minute or win after a 20 minute round and wins are rare. Laine seems to pretty good at the game, so maybe he averages something like 5-10 minutes per round.
He plays hours a day. Responsible parents would curb this for kids generally. Never mind perceived key piece to a potential cup winning NHL team.

But go ahead Jets fans. Keep pretending this isn’t an issue. Nothing to see here.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Anyone who thinks that this kid playing hours of Fortnite every day (on game days no less) isn’t an issue is fooling themselves.

I'm a Jets fan.

I agree with you. Put the controller down. Your real life is cool enough.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
He plays hours a day. Responsible parents would curb this for kids generally. Never mind perceived key piece to a potential cup winning NHL team.

But go ahead Jets fans. Keep pretending this isn’t an issue. Nothing to see here.
Did you feel like I was downplaying it? If a round takes 5-10 minutes, 43 rounds is pretty much like a whole work day if he takes any breaks, it does sound too much. I have had sessions like this in my youth, and it is draining.

Maybe his profile still being public is a cry for help?

Reactions: Duffalufagus

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I am not a neuroscientist, but dopamine is a real thing.

If you are constantly blasting it with video game time, you will crash when you step away.

If you are playing hours and hours over months, you have a problem.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
He never took the next step from his rookie season.

His overall gqme has actually regressed and he is scared of touching the puck.

In his second season he really got to use that shot but still his 5v5 play wasent too great with little but got way better next to stastny.

He never produced or played well with little who he is stuck with.

To me it looks like he want to play himself out if winnipeg. Scheifele and wheeler apparantly dont want to play with him as they have to do the heavy lifting then...

Reactions: Dark Ambient

Takasugi

Dec 7, 2018
I know ppl don't take it seriously but gaming addiction is pretty serious. Jets should get this kid some mental health help and some addiction treatment if his Fortnite is impacting his hockey. That's not healthy.

Reactions: Duffalufagus

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
If we know it, Jets management knows it. But they don’t seem to be doing anything about it. So to me, this is a 20 year old kid, it is on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad