Patrick Laine is one of the worst forwards in the NHL right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
He'll be fine and get back to his goal scoring ways. He's way too talented not to and this will help Winnipeg's cap situation in the long run as a result. I still see multiple Rocket's in his future. However, the play we're seeing from him now is exactly why there was never any debate between Matthews and Laine IMO. Matthews has been slumping for a while now too, but you will never hear anyone describe his game like you're currently hearing with Laine because if you take away the goals and assists, one player is still dominant and controlling the play out there while the other is essentially just a passenger.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
my goodness he's practically a kid and was playing video games over his vacation, who caresssss

he is far from one of the worst players. maybe one of the most disappointing. but still good

The issue is playing it a lot on game days which he has done. In the end no one would be saying anything if he was producing but with him being so hit or miss compared to last year one does have to wonder.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If he agrees to such a thing, he's a dummy and his agent should be fired. It's likely a 2 year bridge.

If Laine plays the rest of the season the way he is playing right now he has zero fire power going into the negotiations.

At 7 million a year Laine would be making a million more than Scheifele is a season.

He is not worth a dime more than that.

Reactions: Frosty415

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
His lazyness in a contract year has cost him millions. That should be a huge red flag to the Jets organization because if he cant put in effort on a contender in a contract year do you really want to tie up a huge contract to him? I would have to think about even giving 6 mill a year long term because he is literally a liability when hes on a cold streak (which is the majority of his play). The Jets have a great young team and i think they should trade him. They can maybe get a Trouba replacement back for him and trade Trouba for a forward.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
If he didn't have that incredible shot, then he's not even an NHL player right now. No hands or speed or agility or tenacity or forechecking ability

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
His lazyness in a contract year has cost him millions. That should be a huge red flag to the Jets organization because if he cant put in effort on a contender in a contract year do you really want to tie up a huge contract to him? I would have to think about even giving 6 mill a year long term because he is literally a liability when hes on a cold streak (which is the majority of his play). The Jets have a great young team and i think they should trade him. They can maybe get a Trouba replacement back for him and trade Trouba for a forward.

He's in the biggest slump of his career and he has 25 goals in 50 games.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
If Laine plays the rest of the season the way he is playing right now he has zero fire power going into the negotiations.

At 7 million a year Laine would be making a million more than Scheifele is a season.

He is not worth a dime more than that.

if he doesn't have negotiating power, sign a 2 year bridge and light it up. Any agent would tell him that.

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
There is a contingent of Winnipeg fans who pretend that nothing is his fault and all his warts are to be blamed on others. If Laine himself thinks like this then he is in big trouble [I do doubt he's that stupid though].

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Because otherwise, it means taking a flat out loss trading a player when his value is at all time low.

If Pasta is being paid 6.66 Laine shouldn't get anything above that. Which is good for Winnipeg if he comes back to life eventually.

See I guess I see this as a trend, not a fluke, so I’d say sell while you still have some perceived value. Plenty of teams think this is a cold streak, but I take where he is now vs where he was when he started.. someone will offer him 7+, and i dont want to be that team. He’s young, might turn it all around, but I just see that as a risk. A trade for 2 1sts and a prospect or something would anger the fans but might be the better long term play- you really gonna win a cup if you overpay that kinda player?

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
He's one of the oddest players I've ever seen. Has potential to be an elite goalscorer then falls off a cliff. I've never seen anything like it.
Yea the most polarizing player in the league. Im really curious as to how Winnpeg handles the contract situation. At first glance u might look at his stats and think he deserves 8 million long term but he scores all his goals (like another poster said earlier) in 10% of his games. He could easily pick it up and because a Kovulchuk or Semin type player or just as easily fizzle out like a Vanek or someone.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
He's in the biggest slump of his career and he has 25 goals in 50 games.
Yea but all his goals came in a very short amount of time. How valuble is that to a team? Wouldnt you want more consistancy? Its streaky like we have never seen before. This stretch run and playoffs will be the most important of his life and tens of millions will be on the line. He has to perform.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You heard the same knocks on a lot of these high offensively skilled/gifted players in their youth.

They eventually figure it out. I'd warn against people kicking him while he's down; this guy's going to be an absolute force in this league by the time he's 28.

Reactions: Kelly

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
See I guess I see this as a trend, not a fluke, so I’d say sell while you still have some perceived value. Plenty of teams think this is a cold streak, but I take where he is now vs where he was when he started.. someone will offer him 7+, and i dont want to be that team. He’s young, might turn it all around, but I just see that as a risk. A trade for 2 1sts and a prospect or something would anger the fans but might be the better long term play- you really gonna win a cup if you overpay that kinda player?

Why don't you look at where our Captain was at 20 turning 21? Or our assistant captain? Or our other assistant captain? :rolleyes:

Reactions: SoupaTroupa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad