Patrick Laine is one of the worst forwards in the NHL right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
You heard the same knocks on a lot of these high offensively skilled/gifted players in their youth.

They eventually figure it out. I'd warn against people kicking him while he's down; this guy's going to be an absolute force in this league by the time he's 28.
I can't name another young gifted player who put up numbers while being as undynamic as Laine.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yea but all his goals came in a very short amount of time. How valuble is that to a team? Wouldnt you want more consistancy? Its streaky like we have never seen before. This stretch run and playoffs will be the most important of his life and tens of millions will be on the line. He has to perform.

His November goals brought his 5v5 shooting percentage for the year back up to his career average after a bad October, he's now dipped down below his career average again and the PP1 has been a lot worse for him because there's a right shot on the point which means a slower one timer for him and teams are just rushing Wheeler and Maurice won't adapt.

Again, I hope we sign him for 8 years tomorrow.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You heard the same knocks on a lot of these high offensively skilled/gifted players in their youth.

They eventually figure it out. I'd warn against people kicking him while he's down; this guy's going to be an absolute force in this league by the time he's 28.

True North does not give up on players.
They will develop Laine and will not make the mistake of trading him.

They know that they have a potential star player that can blow up at any time and become the face of the team.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Why don't you look at where our Captain was at 20 turning 21? Or our assistant captain? Or our other assistant captain? :rolleyes:

Time will have to tell, cause I know normally guys get better as they age- but guys also don’t normally enter at 18 as good as Laine was.. and then fail to improve at all. Like, that’s the big thing for me. Because we don’t know about the future, usually guys improve, but for this specific player we have 3 years of evidence that more of the same will happen. That’s my point. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe Laine grows some Toews’ skills and some consistency, but I think the 3rd year in the league is more telling than age.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
True North does not give up on players.
They will develop Laine and will not make the mistake of trading him.

They know that they have a potential star player that can blow up at any time and become the face of the team.
Star players do a lot more than shoot the puck well. I have a hard time believing he will learn how to round his game out at this point. He's not going to like Winnipegs offer in the off-season, and I have a feeling he won't be a Jet for long.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Star players do a lot more than shoot the puck well. I have a hard time believing he will learn how to round his game out at this point. He's not going to like Winnipegs offer in the off-season, and I have a feeling he won't be a Jet for long.

He can choose to arbitrate for what they feel he is worth.

We have the cap space to sign him but he is just not going to be getting Auston Matthews money.

At 20 years old he has a lot of time for growth in his game with the proper guidance.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
2 year bridge at 4-5 million seems like a fairly obvious outcome here. See literally zero reason why he would sign for 8 years....unless for whatever reason he thinks this is the player he is. Which probably isn't a good thing.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
His November goals brought his 5v5 shooting percentage for the year back up to his career average after a bad October, he's now dipped down below his career average again and the PP1 has been a lot worse for him because there's a right shot on the point which means a slower one timer for him and teams are just rushing Wheeler and Maurice won't adapt.

Again, I hope we sign him for 8 years tomorrow.
Wouldnt a right shot mean a faster pass? Ovechkins best one timers are all from right handed D like Green and Carlson.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He can choose to arbitrate for what they feel he is worth.

We have the cap space to sign him but he is just not going to be getting Auston Matthews money.

At 20 years old he has a lot of time for growth in his game with the proper guidance.
Yeah he's young, but young players, at the very least, show flashes of talent in the strong aspects of their game. Laine has only shown that he can shoot the puck, and not much else.

He's also on a great team, and isn't being leaned-on to produce.

If the Jets can sign him for a cheap/reasonable contract, and he turns it around, it will be a great move by the organisation.

Sort of like when MacKinnon/Gaudreau signed in the low 6m range.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
There would be nothing wrong with a bridge deal. If he knocks it out of the park the Jets won't mind paying the going rate and if his progress doesn't go as everyone would like Winnipeg has all the options available to them.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Needs a center who can control play/distribute better than Little.

Also needs to at least try to play an NHL level 5 on 5 game.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yeah he's young, but young players, at the very least, show flashes of talent in the strong aspects of their game. Laine has only shown that he can shoot the puck, and not much else.

He's also on a great team, and isn't being leaned-on to produce.

If the Jets can sign him for a cheap/reasonable contract, and he turns it around, it will be a great move by the organisation.

Sort of like when MacKinnon/Gaudreau signed in the low 6m range.

Both Scheifele and Ehlers are signed at around 6 million.

No way Laine can argue he deserves a dime more than 7 million.

I feel secure having Laine around the 7 million mark and allowing him time to develop.

Reactions: Cellee

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

Maybe so, but it's also his third season in the league already and he has shown little if any signs of improvement. Something has to change drastically if one wishes to expect different results in the future.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Laine is a super streaky player. Like most goal scorers, and most young players. If he heats up come playoff time, watch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad