Patrick Laine is one of the worst forwards in the NHL right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Laine once again was benched by Winnipeg because he couldn't be trusted to even be on the ice. He has the worst plus/minus in the team and only 9 assists which means he doesn't create any offense whatsoever to his linemates.

Laine's goals all came in a span of month , scoring ridiculously 5 in one game. This is great for personal stat boost but bad for the team if your players provide offense only every 10th game or so. In those 9 games Maurice can't even play him properly as it is so big advantage for opponent. I can't come up with a single player that has as bad overall game than Laine. Guy stands still on the defensive zone, it looks comical really.

What do you think? Will be extremely interesting to see what kind of contract Winnipeg will give him this summer.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
This season has cost him $15m+. He could have signed a 10.5x8 if he kept up a decent goal scoring pace, and was at least average in other aspects of the game.

I have a hard time Winnipeg offers more than 8x8. Even that might be high.

They might just deal him for some more consistent players near the deadline.

It's a strange situation.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Even if everything you wrote is true.... he still isn't one of the worst forwards in the NHL
I mean the coach is too scared to put him even on the ice, that's how bad it is. And i really believe that for last 2 months Laine has been one of the worst forwards in the NHL, hence the "right now" in the title.

MightySelanne8

Mar 10, 2014
Helsinki
He might be the worst, Im actually not usually interested in other peoples business, but im curious what happened to him. He looks like he doesnt give a fk, and is only generating offense for the opposing team.

Can only wonder, maybe Laine doesnt like it in Winnipeg like some (who claim to know him) have said on this forum.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Straight across one for one trade for Puju?

Puju has scored two goals into a wpg net, twice Laines one goal in oiler jet games :sarcasm:

Last edited:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
There are three or four more months of hockey ahead of him. He’ll have another hot streak or two and another cold streak or two. That’s life in the NHL for a 20 year old kid who hasn’t figured it all out yet.
He has 2g2a in his last 16 games. He's not struggling to "figure it out". He is just completely one-dimensional.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He'll still get a big contract. They know his worth and he knows his worth as a goal scorer.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I almost wonder about a “yips” sorta issue.. he knows he needs to improve the other aspects of his game but doesn’t know how and as a result just goes around being terrible at everything right now.

..I’d argue he should be traded. Why would Winnipeg take the risk? Why would Laine want to stay in that situation? He’s still great at the one thing he was great at his rookie year- he’s the same or worse in every other skill. Sometimes guys just need different coaching, a fresh start, whatever- and this situation just seems to be getting worse, not better. Everyone assumes he rights the ship, he’ll snap out of it- how do we know it doesn’t go the other way? It’s rare, but it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln