Value of: Patrick Kane & Duncan Keith

Stubaru

Jul 12, 2017
Yeah no kidding. You need to put your best prospect and a 1st round pick just to start. And if you don't have a ~top 20 prospect, don't bother.

But isn't that also where the convo started with Kane when he was in his prime? If so, what is the accounting for his age and inevitable down turn?

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Heard that he may want to finish his career in Buffalo and has a NMC so good chance is that if Sabres can make a deal to move a big contract out, they may be able to then trade their unprotected 2022 1st round pick , a goalie and top D prospect to Hawks for Kane. Of course Chicago may need to retain some salary for this to work. Does Buffalo has any buyout option left at their disposal?

Detroit will also be another target given the close distance to Buffalo. However will Kane wave to go to a young team without known superstar? As he is American, I think he would like to finish playing in a USA city. Most contender teams have too much cap tied up and likely no room to take him on.

To land Kane, it will take a huge package as he is not a rental and is still one of the best forwards in the NHL. He will draw a lot of interest but the number of his prefer trade destination may be quite small.
Can you cite your source? Before the false accusations I actually saw that as a possibility but I don’t think that’s the case anymore. Since that summer he doesn’t go back and spend his summers in Buffalo and sold his house there. He’s also spent quite a bit of time since 2016 getting booed on Buffalo ice every time he touches the puck. If does happen go anywhere else (which I highly doubt), I really don’t think it’s gonna be Buffalo.

Plus he’s got a legit shot at going down as the best player an original 6 team has ever seen. I think that means a lot to someone like Kane who lives hockey.

Reactions: thesaadfather

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
But isn't that also where the convo started with Kane when he was in his prime? If so, what is the accounting for his age and inevitable down turn?
He is only signed for 3 more years, I see no reason why he cant produce at the same level for at least that much more time. I am also assuming CHI will be retaining a portion of it based off the return. Kane has a lot of good years left IMO.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Haven’t read the entire thread, but something to consider...Kane and his wife (girlfriend?) just had a child this fall, she’s from Chicago, and we’re in the middle of a pandemic.

If there were ever a year PK would decline a trade, this would be it.

I will say, in a normal year I think Kane would play anywhere as long as it were a contender. I could totally see him going to a Tampa, Carolina or any other contender in the last year or two of his current deal. Obviously Carolina has some solid assets. Tampa, meh. But I’m guessing those are the kinds of teams he’d approve a trade to.

We’ll see, but I’d be fairly shocked if he agreed to a trade this year.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
As a Sabres fan I would do something like this.

Sabres get Kane and Keith.

Hawks get:

Jeff Skinner
Brandon Montour
Any prospect in the organization other than Cozens.
1st round picks in 21' and 22'
Another prospect/pick or two

The Sabres would have to convince Skinner to go to Chicago. I think he might be willing though, because being part of a rebuild where there aren't high expectations, and you can just sit back and collect your dough, while playing the puck hog, no awareness type of game is something Skinner I think would be into.

The Sabres give up a lot but if we don't make the playoffs this year or maybe next, we are going to get a ton of assets to rebuild with from the Eichel trade. Seriously, the Sabres can't just wait here. If the Sabres don't find away to turn this around soon, they will be heading to another complete rebuild where Eichel and Dahlin have moved on. Dahlin I think would flourish on another team.

For the Sabres, the trade would give them a lot of cap flexibility in a couple of years. They rid themselves of Skinner's albatross and after this season there is only 2 years left of Okposo. Hall-Eichel-Reinhart, Olofsson-Staal-Kane, those would be your top two lines. Keith though far past his prime I think would bring some balance and stability to the defense.

For the Hawks, they take on one of the worst contracts in hockey in Skinner but if they are about to rebuild, there will only be 2-3 years left on the deal when they are ready to compete again. Jack Quinn or UPL I suppose would be the prospect, then 2 firsts and other assets, from a historically bad franchise at the moment is a decent haul. Montour can be traded at the deadline for assets.

I am honestly not sure if this value is there but I think it is pretty good.

I know Sabres fans may be aghast at the amount I would be willing to pay, but like I said, if they don't do something drastic to turn this thing around, they will be heading into another rebuild and 10 years after the tank, Eichel will have come and gone while the Sabres are in a full rebuild again. I think a type of move like this could change the fortunes of the organization.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Hawks get:

Jeff Skinner
Brandon Montour

The Sabres would have to convince Skinner to go to Chicago. I think he might be willing though, because being part of a rebuild where there aren't high expectations, and you can just sit back and collect your dough, while playing the puck hog, no awareness type of game is something Skinner I think would be into.

The Sabres give up a lot but if we don't make the playoffs this year or maybe next, we are going to get a ton of assets to rebuild with from the Eichel trade. Seriously, the Sabres can't just wait here. If the Sabres don't find away to turn this around soon, they will be heading to another complete rebuild where Eichel and Dahlin have moved on. Dahlin I think would flourish on another team.

For the Sabres, the trade would give them a lot of cap flexibility in a couple of years. They rid themselves of Skinner's albatross and after this season there is only 2 years left of Okposo. Hall-Eichel-Reinhart, Olofsson-Staal-Kane, those would be your top two lines. Keith though far past his prime I think would bring some balance and stability to the defense.

For the Hawks, they take on one of the worst contracts in hockey in Skinner but if they are about to rebuild, there will only be 2-3 years left on the deal when they are ready to compete again. Jack Quinn or UPL I suppose would be the prospect, then 2 firsts and other assets, from a historically bad franchise at the moment is a decent haul. Montour can be traded at the deadline for assets.

I know Sabres fans may be aghast at the amount I would be willing to pay, but like I said, if they don't do something drastic to turn this thing around, they will be heading into another rebuild and 10 years after the tank, Eichel will have come and gone while the Sabres are in a full rebuild again. I think a type of move like this could change the fortunes of the organization.

No thanks from the hawks. Skinner is a no go.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

Hawks get:

Jeff Skinner
Brandon Montour

you better be taking seabrook at full cap hit too if we're taking skinner back

his production since signing that huge deal is literally comparable to seabrook

Reactions: wahsnairb

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010

Hawks get:

Jeff Skinner
Brandon Montour

You want Patrick Kane (let’s even forget Keith who is still a fringe first pair D) and Cozens is off the table AND Jeff Skinner is coming back? It would take first(s) just for a team to take his contract.

This is brutal.

I don’t think Hawks even consider that with Seabrook going the other way, that’s how bad it is lol.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
You want Patrick Kane (let’s even forget Keith who is still a fringe first pair D) and Cozens is off the table AND Jeff Skinner is coming back? It would take first(s) just for a team to take his contract.

This is brutal.

I don’t think Hawks even consider that with Seabrook going the other way, that’s how bad it is lol.
That is why I said I don't know if the value is there. I personally don't think it's "brutal" but even if it isn't good, your reaction is over the top.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
As an Oier fan it hard to come up with a trade that would make both fan bases happy . I give it a go .

2021 1st , Nurse , Neal cap reason , 2022 2nd Jones , a forward prospect not named Holloway 2023 2nd . Kane at 8.5 million

Reactions: Pertti

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah no kidding. You need to put your best prospect and a 1st round pick just to start. And if you don't have a ~top 20 prospect, don't bother.
I'm sorry. No one moves a top 20 prospect for a 32 year old player. That would be just horrible asset management.

Kane will bring back a lot of assets, but one that big.

I guess it might depend on what you mean by prospect. If you're talking about players that haven't made the jump to the nhl, then maybe yes. That would basically exclude all the recent top end draft picks.

Also keep in mind that most of the top 20 prospects' rights are owned by non competing teams. You aren't getting any of those.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
TO TORONTO:
- Kane @ 6m AA
- Keith @ 3m AA
- Soderberg @ 700k AA

TO CHICAGO
- Nylander
- Kerfoot
- Sandin
- Robertson

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kane IMO should stick around to help guys like Dach and Strome reach their ceilings. Keith is someone that would interest me as an Oilers fan, what would his trade cost be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad