Value of: Patrick Kane & Duncan Keith

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I'm sorry. No one moves a top 20 prospect for a 32 year old player. That would be just horrible asset management.

Kane will bring back a lot of assets, but one that big.

I guess it might depend on what you mean by prospect. If you're talking about players that haven't made the jump to the nhl, then maybe yes. That would basically exclude all the recent top end draft picks.

Also keep in mind that most of the top 20 prospects' rights are owned by non competing teams. You aren't getting any of those.
Teams never trade elite talent. If the teams arent offering that, they arent trading him. Pretty simple.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm sorry. No one moves a top 20 prospect for a 32 year old player. That would be just horrible asset management.

I guess it might depend on what you mean by prospect. If you're talking about players that haven't made the jump to the nhl, then maybe yes. That would basically exclude all the recent top end draft picks.

Also keep in mind that most of the top 20 prospects' rights are owned by non competing teams. You aren't getting any of those.
Yes, it would be horrible asset management. That doesn't mean it isn't possible to happen.

Fillip Forsberg for Martin Erat certainly fits that exact criteria of a trade. Maybe Erat was 1 year younger but far beyond anything of a talent to say it is an impossible situation is silly.

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Can only retain one more deal

Then just retain Kane to the MAX so he becomes 5m ish - to make the salaries work - the TOR deal HELPS both teams IMO - unites the Nylander bros who are both young, gives the Hawks flexibility, and gives them a Young player they dont have to wait or hope for to develop - puts leafs in all in mode, makes their top 2 lines unreal, and defence top 4 very strong

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Then just retain Kane to the MAX so he becomes 5m ish - to make the salaries work - the TOR deal HELPS both teams IMO - unites the Nylander bros who are both young, gives the Hawks flexibility, and gives them a Young player they dont have to wait or hope for to develop - puts leafs in all in mode, makes their top 2 lines unreal, and defence top 4 very strong

Have no issue retaining the full amount

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
As a Sabres fan I would do something like this.

Sabres get Kane and Keith.

Hawks get:

Jeff Skinner
Brandon Montour
Any prospect in the organization other than Cozens.
1st round picks in 21' and 22'
Another prospect/pick or two

The Sabres would have to convince Skinner to go to Chicago. I think he might be willing though, because being part of a rebuild where there aren't high expectations, and you can just sit back and collect your dough, while playing the puck hog, no awareness type of game is something Skinner I think would be into.

The Sabres give up a lot but if we don't make the playoffs this year or maybe next, we are going to get a ton of assets to rebuild with from the Eichel trade. Seriously, the Sabres can't just wait here. If the Sabres don't find away to turn this around soon, they will be heading to another complete rebuild where Eichel and Dahlin have moved on. Dahlin I think would flourish on another team.

For the Sabres, the trade would give them a lot of cap flexibility in a couple of years. They rid themselves of Skinner's albatross and after this season there is only 2 years left of Okposo. Hall-Eichel-Reinhart, Olofsson-Staal-Kane, those would be your top two lines. Keith though far past his prime I think would bring some balance and stability to the defense.

For the Hawks, they take on one of the worst contracts in hockey in Skinner but if they are about to rebuild, there will only be 2-3 years left on the deal when they are ready to compete again. Jack Quinn or UPL I suppose would be the prospect, then 2 firsts and other assets, from a historically bad franchise at the moment is a decent haul. Montour can be traded at the deadline for assets.

I am honestly not sure if this value is there but I think it is pretty good.

I know Sabres fans may be aghast at the amount I would be willing to pay, but like I said, if they don't do something drastic to turn this thing around, they will be heading into another rebuild and 10 years after the tank, Eichel will have come and gone while the Sabres are in a full rebuild again. I think a type of move like this could change the fortunes of the organization.

Why would the hawks do that?

Also if the Hawks are trading kane, save yourself the “Anybody but our top prospect” response.

Why the hell are the hawks even interested? Lol

Let’s use some logic here.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Teams never trade elite talent. If the teams arent offering that, they arent trading him. Pretty simple.

This

Also Kane will be an really good player late into his 30s. This isn’t some elite player that’s gonna fall off a cliff in two years.

So let’s stop with the 32 year who’s rapidly declining narrative.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yes, it would be horrible asset management. That doesn't mean it isn't possible to happen.

Fillip Forsberg for Martin Erat certainly fits that exact criteria of a trade. Maybe Erat was 1 year younger but far beyond anything of a talent to say it is an impossible situation is silly.
I love how people always bring up historically bad trades when finding examples of value. That erat trade was seen as a huge mistake when it was made and got worse. No one is looking to emulate the trade.

Even then Forsberg was considered the Capitals third best prospect behind Kuznetsov and Holtby.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I love how people always bring up historically bad trades when finding examples of value. That erat trade was seen as a huge mistake when it was made and got worse. No one is looking to emulate the trade.

Even then Forsberg was considered the Capitals third best prospect behind Kuznetsov and Holtby.
Bad trades happen and will continue to happen. Why do you act like thats
perfect example of what you laid out that doesn't happen, doesn't count?

In the PLD trade forums it would be called bad value and dumb to suggest Laine and Roslovic with only a 3rd also added. That would be laughed at as a dumb proposal because thats bad value for Winnipeg, as 75% of voters seem to think now. But bad value and bad trades will always happen.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Bad trades happen and will continue to happen. Why do you act like thats
perfect example of what you laid out that doesn't happen, doesn't count?

In the PLD trade forums it would be called bad value and dumb to suggest Laine and Roslovic with only a 3rd also added. That would be laughed at as a dumb proposal because thats bad value for Winnipeg, as 75% of voters seem to think now. But bad value and bad trades will always happen.
So you're saying a team should purposely make a bad trade? Great.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

A top 10 player in the league gets that. You arent geting mediocre garbage for a player that would be a first line RW on almost any team in the league (unless you had one of Marner, Kucherov, or Stone).

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
If Kane were traded - and I doubt he will ever be (not a Hawks fan but come on he is a franchise player) - CHI would be right to command a huge return. Issue is that teams interested in Kane are contenders and they hence most likely do not have very interesting prospects to put on the table...

Reactions: Mrfenn92

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Trade proposals clearly aren't my forte, but why not just keep it simple..

Kane retained (40%) for Byram straight up + whatever minor pieces needed to make the cap work.

Tough pill to swallow for the Avs but they becomes hands-down favourites for the next 3 post-seasons and the Hawks get an A+ prospect the exact same age as Dach to form the foundation of their future.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Here's an idea...

Seth Jones + Gus Nyquist + Emil Bemstrom + Kirill Marchenko

for

Patrick Kane + Connor Murphy

I'd imagine Seth Jones would be willing to sign an extension this summer with Chicago. Nyquist will be out most of the season recovering from shoulder surgery, so this effectively helps them tank this season, too. But Nyquist is a quality top-6 winger when healthy and can play in all situations. Chicago also adds two prospects with solid potential for next season.

Reactions: Pertti

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Flyers could put a big offer of futures together headlined by Morgan Frost/Cam York and 1st round picks. Really depends on how much cap space Chicago can retain or take back(JVR?) in the deal.

Lindblom-Couturier-Kane
Giroux-Hayes-Farabee
Konecny-Patrick-Voracek

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Trade proposals clearly aren't my forte, but why not just keep it simple..

Kane retained (40%) for Byram straight up + whatever minor pieces needed to make the cap work.

Tough pill to swallow for the Avs but they becomes hands-down favourites for the next 3 post-seasons and the Hawks get an A+ prospect the exact same age as Dach to form the foundation of their future.

This is a deal that makes some sense. Avs are in an enviable position right now w young d depth to spare. Kane is an all in move and would make a scary team even scarier.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba

I guarantee you a lot of contending teams would be willing to part with one or two of their top tier prospects to land Kane.

The bigger issue would be how a top contending team (who are almost always at the top end of the cap) would fit the 10 mil in and stay cap compliant.

A player like Kane is the kind of guy who would instantly give a team the push they may need to get them to the top. And if he was ever actually available for trade teams would be stumbling over themselves to try and land him. Problem is a lot of creativity would be needed by the acquiring team to make it possible.

The term ‘generational’ is thrown around this forum like cows sh*t but Kane is one of a very small list of players where the term may actually apply.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad