Recalled/Assigned: Patrice Cormier Recalled

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Disagree. Peluso was mediocre in his games, but I certainly did not see anything in his skating or puck protection any better than Thorburn. We'll see.

Get yourself educated before making statements like this.

Really? So who is the goon that stages fights on Boston, Philadelphia, St. Louis or Ottawa? Please tell me. None of those teams use fighting as a intimidator, nor does it play into their strategy like Toronto or Edmonton trying to be tough using goons.

You really have no idea who I am or what I want. I have no problem with fighting when it's for a reason, but it has been shown that fighting does not really motivate a team like some think it does (Peluso's stupid scrap anybody?) and it DOES NOT intimidate anybody. Nobody on our team backed down from those big scary meanies Toronto dressed in Orr and McLaren did we? No, because nobody gives a ****. Fighting is the most overrated attribute, fans are the only ones who think your team is "tough" since they have fighters or fight a lot.

True tough team is like LA or BOS. The grind it out, they battle out front, they clog up the middle of the ice. You get the puck on your stick and you will be hit. They come after you hard with every line always attacking. You will have to battle for every inch every time you play them. That is toughness, that is how you want to play the game of hockey. That's what makes it a ***** to play those teams, they never let up. Toughness derived from fighters or fighting is a mirage.

Dont have a horse in this battle but

for Boston: Thornton, Mcquaid

Ottawa : Chris Neil has let off a bit in recent years, but they just got Matt Kassian aka the Kassassian.

Phili: 2010-2011 they had Shelley and Carcillo but now they just use Rinaldo but he only does a handful of staged fights, most of it is due to something he instagates.

St. Louis: not sure as I dont get the pleasure of watching them play. according to hockeyfights.com Reaves and Crombeen but I could not tell you if they are into staged fights, I know Crombeen has been in the past, not sure about this season.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
When I was watching an visiting team's thread against St John's, they interviewed Chevy in the intermission.
There were two players that Chevy mentioned directly that he said he was impressed with their development: Melchiori and Cormier.
Interestingly they are the two (plus Meech) that get called up later.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Was going to get into this fighting debate, (tarnish on a great game, IMO) but not worth it so I'm editing my post.

Hope it goes well for Patrice

Last edited:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I'm excited to see what Cormier can bring. He's at a very important stage for him contract wise, and you would have to think he knows he has to show the brass that he should be in the Jets plans for the next 5 years.

I thought he was close last year, and he's probably one of those guys that was hurt by not having the longer training camp and exhibition games.

Add in your comment above about KM's feelings on his play and work ethic, and I really hope he takes this opportunity and runs with it.

Agreed, Huff. Well said.

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
I dont get the thor hate
is he a great or even good hockey player? not by a long shot
But, he did his job by fighting orr last night and set the tone for the win

This is kind of odd of a call up, did someone get hurt maybe? or as others have said, maybe it is to bench people that need a kick in the ass.

I am looking at you Jokinen

he got destroyed in that fight, and did nothing else in the game
i dont think he did his job AT ALL!

he just cried to the ref about it, didnt even land a punch, and got completely ragdolled

we REALLY miss peluso

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

he just cried to the ref about it, didnt even land a punch, and got completely ragdolled

we REALLY miss peluso

I really don't agree with you.
How he does in the fight is almost irrelevant. Him stepping up is his job.
I think you're putting to much emphasis on fighting. And I'm pro fighting. And the biggest Peluso fan.

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
They have. Which is why all the smart teams in the league have gone away from goons and staged fights. Only stupid teams like the Maple Leafs or terrible terrible teams like Flames and Oilers still use they and try to lure teams into staged fighting.

i wouldnt call toronto/carlyle stupid
their new regime and strategy has worked well for them

and name one stanley cup team who doesnt have an enforcer, and doesnt use him?
ill answer that for you, there isnt a single one

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

we REALLY miss peluso

We completely dominated them and had no problems at all with their physicality, despite their hired goons... How did we REALLY miss Peluso?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Their strategy hasn't worked. They have been dominated more often than not.

They are worse than last year and started the season with a nearly identical record.

Luck has worked well for them.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Really? How is carlyle working well? They are in the same position they were in last season, horribly overachieving with completely unsustainable pace. They'll miss playoffs again, bank on it.

2012 - Los Angeles Kings. Westgarth did not get out of the press box after Sutter started coaching and turned the team around from 12/13th place team to Stanley Cup Champion. One of the key reasons both LA and NJD made the Stanley Cup final was that they were able to run 4 lines at you, ie not dressing an enforcer.

2011 - Boston Bruins. No designated enforcer, their whole roster could play hockey.

2008 - Detroit Red Wings. Have not used an enforcer since the 05 lockout.

2006 - Carolina Hurricanes. Nobody even close to an enforcer on the 05-06 roster.

Off the top of my head.

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
We completely dominated them and had no problems at all with their physicality, despite their hired goons... How did we REALLY miss Peluso?

not specifically in yesterdays game
but he would have helped a lot on that road trip, and we do play toronto again, and you better beleive they will be very unhappy, and probably taking some runs and fights(they sent out orr and mclaren last night in the last minute, and they were gooning it up, and we just took it

peluso can WIN fights, AND play hockey

thorburn can wrestle opponents, and cant play hockey
thorburn did nothing to help us win last night, anyone who says he helped us out last night wasnt watching the same game

anyone can get into a fight, that means nothing though

Ulf Hullberg

Nov 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Glad to hear Cormier is getting another shot, although its too bad it's at Slater's expense.

I like what Cormier brings to the team, and it couldn't happen at a better time. After a big energetic physical win vs the Leafs, and adding another player that fits that style should help propel this team to a strong 2nd half of the season.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
but he would have helped a lot on that road trip, and we do play toronto again, and you better beleive they will be very unhappy, and probably taking some runs and fights(they sent out orr and mclaren last night in the last minute, and they were gooning it up, and we just took it

thorburn did nothing to help us win last night, anyone who says he helped us out last night wasnt watching the same game

Claude Noel specifically pointed to Thorburn as a factor in the win. epic fail

Donald

Jan 31, 2013
I can't believe I need to point this out again, but Shawn Thornton is an enforcer for the Bruins.

If you immediately deny someone is an enforcer as soon as they are good enough to take a semi-regular shift you make it very easy to argue against the need for enforcers.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

And I expect nothing less from the team. Why care if they're gooning it up in the last minute? Why get into something and risk a suspension? They are a team that's overachieving, and no successful team in this league has 2 goons on the roster. Orr and McLaren are bad hockey players, why not just use the fact that they're gonna throw them out against us to our advantage?

And how much of an impact do you expect a fourth line player to have exactly? If our team's success rests with one fourth line player, I think we're in trouble.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I can't believe I need to point this out again, but Shawn Thornton is an enforcer for the Bruins.

If you immediately deny someone is an enforcer as soon as they are good enough to take a semi-regular shift you make it very easy to argue against the need for enforcers.

No one is arguing wanting guys who can fight and play hockey.
The enforcers are usually termed for those who can fight but not play competent hockey.
Thornton, while is a **** load away from top6 can competently play a bottom line role even IF he did not have the pugilistic side of him.

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
Really? How is carlyle working well? They are in the same position they were in last season, horribly overachieving with completely unsustainable pace. They'll miss playoffs again, bank on it.

2012 - Los Angeles Kings. Westgarth did not get out of the press box after Sutter started coaching and turned the team around from 12/13th place team to Stanley Cup Champion. One of the key reasons both LA and NJD made the Stanley Cup final was that they were able to run 4 lines at you, ie not dressing an enforcer.

2011 - Boston Bruins. No designated enforcer, their whole roster could play hockey.

2008 - Detroit Red Wings. Have not used an enforcer since the 05 lockout.

2006 - Carolina Hurricanes. Nobody even close to an enforcer on the 05-06 roster.

Off the top of my head.

really?
shawn thornton isnt an enforcer?
paahlease

darren mccarty??

and finally, jesse boulerice

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
I researched...

I stand by Thorburn being (very slightly) worse than Glass defensively and offensively (which says a lot because Glass isn't that great at either).
I stand by Thorburn being worse than Wright defensively and a wash offensively.
Stats and eye-test... Coach seems to think this too, both times as Thorburn has always been more sheltered and less ice-time of the 3.

Not saying you shouldn't stand by your opinion. I admit I respect Thorburn and want him to get a fair hearing. And 'very slightly' is not so absolute.

My case. I saw that in 2011 Fehr had 3 pts in 36 games and was -6. Thorburn had more points, and the same minus in over twice as many games. And Glass had more games but double the minus - same points. Would seem to suggest that -at least- its debatable.

This year Wright is -6 in 24 games with one point. Thorburn one point, -2 in 20 games.

Not a lot of people realize that Thorburn as a rookie was well regarded offensive prospect . And he never has been a real enforcer. He can and will fight to stand up for the team -as he fought Orr - but he's more a player that fights rather than a fighter that plays.

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
And I expect nothing less from the team. Why care if they're gooning it up in the last minute? Why get into something and risk a suspension? They are a team that's overachieving, and no successful team in this league has 2 goons on the roster. Orr and McLaren are bad hockey players, why not just use the fact that they're gonna throw them out against us to our advantage?

And how much of an impact do you expect a fourth line player to have exactly? If our team's success rests with one fourth line player, I think we're in trouble.

maybe we would care if wright had of broke his back?
or another player?

mclaren was contiuously crosschecking wright, thankfully after a matter of long time, the ref stepped in, but it shouldnt come down to that
in the last minute of a blowout like that, you know what toronto is going to bring, and you have to stand on your two feet, not the refs whistle

jetsfan8

Mar 13, 2013
Not saying you shouldn't stand by your opinion. I admit I respect Thorburn and want him to get a fair hearing. And 'very slightly' is not so absolute.

My case. I saw that in 2011 Fehr had 3 pts in 36 games and was -6. Thorburn had more points, and the same minus in over twice as many games. And Glass had more games but double the minus - same points. Would seem to suggest that -at least- its debatable.

This year Wright is -6 in 24 games with one point. Thorburn one point, -2 in 20 games.

Not a lot of people realize that Thorburn as a rookie was well regarded offensive prospect . And he never has been a real enforcer. He can and will fight to stand up for the team -as he fought Orr - but he's more a player that fights rather than a fighter that plays.

agree, i have never viewed thorburn as anything close to an enforcer

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Their strategy hasn't worked. They have been dominated more often than not.

They are worse than last year and started the season with a nearly identical record.

Luck has worked well for them.

:laugh: come on now. We can say that about any team with a winning record regardless of the puck luck crap.

I believe he has done an Ok job with Toronto, we will only know at the end of the season.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I wouldn't say well regarded. It would be like us and Olsen and Kosmachuk. We hope they have an offensive game and we didn't draft them for enforcer duties, but who knows what the future would bring. I don't view Thorburn as an enforcer, but starting to become one due to lack in contributing elsewhere.

+/- is a terrible stat on it's own IMO, and many are starting to agree. It doesn't take in mind TOI, usage, team/linemate play/strength, and is subjected to variance more than most stats (mostly due to SH% and SV%).

Fehr was severely out-chancing and out-shooting his opponents but a combination of injuries and terrible puckluck (ie: natural variance) lead to a pretty soft year. Fehr was actually creating offensive chances at the same rate as he has been consistently doing the last 4 seasons. Just sometimes it doesn't come together.

Glass was given tougher assignments than Thor when they were separated and much more 5v5 icetime per a game... but it can be debated who's worse, so I will concede there :)

With Wright, one point difference is hardly what I'd call grandiose enough sample size to comment on offensively, but I had called it a wash anyways. Defensively you don't need stats to see who is better between the two. But if you want, Thorburn is a lot more heavily out-shot, out-chanced and out-scored on than Wright relative to their icetime. This icetime is another source of evidence, as you can see that Noel trusts Wright more as Wright has increased his icetime, took Thorburn's spot on the PK, and also is trusted with tougher match-ups far more often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad