Recalled/Assigned: Patrice Cormier Recalled

Aerial

Oct 14, 2011
The Winnipeg Jets announced today they have recalled forward Patrice Cormier from the St. John’s IceCaps of the American Hockey League.

Cormier, 22, has played in 32 games with the IceCaps so far this season. In that time, the left-handed centre has recorded 11 points (7G, 4A) and 60 penalty minutes. The Moncton, NB native has played in a career total of 30 NHL games, between Atlanta and Winnipeg, for two career points (1G, 1A) and four career penalty minutes. He was originally drafted by the New Jersey Devils in the second round, 54th overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Good for Cormier. Am I missing something here though about why he's been called up?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Send a message to Burmi

Good for Cormier. Am I missing something here though about why he's been called up?

Here's hoping Thorburn's spot is cemented in the press box with this.

My theory...

They want to be able to bench forwards that need it

they have finally realized Chris Thorburn is a terrible hockey player.

Peluso will remain on injury for some time still.

=

recall Cormier to sub in-out with who needs it.
Banish thorburn to the firey pits of hell.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
My theory...

=

NHL should allow peluso to be like a lineman in the NFL with a cast on his hand so he can punch people in the face with a club!

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Burmistrov will be benched again. Don't see a trade coming personally.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Hopefully Cormier proves capable of filling Burmistrov's role going forward.

I really like Cormier; the kid has a great attitude and was next in line for a spot on the depth chart last off-season. He also plays a heavy game when fully engaged.

jetkarma*

My theory...

=

Pressure from the pressbox. Internal competition. If he can win faceoffs ( which he can ) he may replace a C that does as well but doesn't score either.

Aerial

Oct 14, 2011
Apparently Slater may actually be out -- didn't finish third yesterday (I missed that totally) so that explains it.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Does Cormier ever play at RW? Thorburn seems like the logical guy he would replace, but my understanding was that Cormier didn't play on the right side.

Anyway, I figured it was time Cormier got called up. Sounds like he's been one of the few IceCaps giving a consistent effort this year.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I dont get the thor hate
is he a great or even good hockey player? not by a long shot
But, he did his job by fighting orr last night and set the tone for the win

This is kind of odd of a call up, did someone get hurt maybe? or as others have said, maybe it is to bench people that need a kick in the ass.

I am looking at you Jokinen

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I dont get the thor hate

This is kind of odd of a call up, did someone get hurt maybe? or as others have said, maybe it is to bench people that need a kick in the ass.

Thorburn seems like a great guy, well liked and respected in the room, as a hockey player he just isn't very good, as the teams enforcer he will be a Jet until Peluso returns and not a second more.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I recall an interview with Cormier from last season; he essentially said he was disappointed in himself because he'd assumed he would make the Jets right out of the first training camp, that perhaps his battle level suffered in camp as a result, and that he wasn't going to make the same mistake a second time. All summer long during the past off-season the Jets listed him as a roster player on the depth chart... then came the lockout and then he didn't get a sniff to come to camp. Yet apparently in St. John's he has maintained a great attitude and has busted his ass every day.

This kid has exactly what they seek right now; a great attitude, zero sense of entitlement, plays a heavy game, and he really wants to be here. I hope he sticks, frankly.

jetkarma*

I dont get the thor hate

He answers the bell for this team and usually against NHL heavy weights and pays the price. Kudos for that. Noel pointed out that he felt Thorburn doing just that last night made a difference.

bazaaa*

Yeah just seen it on youtube too. Thanks for the link for future though.
I've hung around Orr a couple times, he just looks like an average guy, wouldn't think in a million years he was a fighter. But my one buddy who didn't know who he was, and was also a fighter, said the first thing he noticed were his massive hands/fists.

Donald

Jan 31, 2013
I find it amazing some of you want Thorburn gone so badly just hours after the type of game we had yesterday. And with Peluso out. Was yesterday's 5-2 win so distasteful that we'd rather have an incredibly soft and team and try to win with our powerplay?

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
Apparently Slater may actually be out -- didn't finish third yesterday (I missed that totally) so that explains it.

Yep. As per Bob McKenzie he is out with a suspected broken hand.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
Sounds as if WPG's Jim Slater is sidelined with a suspected broken hand. Jets likely to update exact situation today after practice.

That explains Cormier being recalled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad