Recalled/Assigned: Patrice Cormier Recalled

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I dont get the thor hate
is he a great or even good hockey player? not by a long shot
But, he did his job by fighting orr last night and set the tone for the win

This is kind of odd of a call up, did someone get hurt maybe? or as others have said, maybe it is to bench people that need a kick in the ass.

I am looking at you Jokinen

it's my opinion that thorburn is the worst hockey player on the roster.

it's also my opinion that fighitng doesn't really achieve a whole lot

there are stats to back these opinions up. Maybe you like thorburn, that's fine, but i think the dislike should be understandable.

Turns our slaters out with a broken hand and hence the call-up.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
So will Cormier play against the Rangers or will Burmi take the fourth line centre spot?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
He answers the bell for this team and usually against NHL heavy weights and pays the price. Kudos for that. Noel pointed out that he felt Thorburn doing just that last night made a difference.

Exactly
I don't know what people expect from him other then that.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
it's my opinion that thorburn is the worst hockey player on the roster.

it's also my opinion that fighitng doesn't really achieve a whole lot

there are stats to back these opinions up. Maybe you like thorburn, that's fine, but i think the dislike should be understandable.

Turns our slaters out with a broken hand and hence the call-up.

I dont like him or hate him
Once again, stats don't tell the whole story.

The fight last night turned everything in our favor.

At least that is how I saw it, and in Noel's scrum last night, he basically said the same thing....

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
IMO Thorburn's fight was a response to the energy, not creation of such. The team looked riled up from the start, and I think that they had a shame talk from Noel that hit home. Maybe sitting Burmistrov helped that too.

We're going to go off-topic here, but it's of my opinion that fighting is pretty much 50/50 chance to which team it's going to inspire more, when it's done merely for inspiration.

But, that's besides the point. I think it's pretty clear that Thorburn is the worst hockey player on the team both this and last season... and I think Noel knows it too as Thorburn tends to have the least amount of icetime on the team (even when GST was playing third line minutes Thorburn's was still not gaining much icetime).

There are many guys on our team (Peluso?), or in the AHL (example: the one that's being called up), that can "answer the call" to a fight (and some would actually win a fight more often than being a punching bag) while actually being able to play hockey.

In the end, you want your team to be the best it can be. Is it so hard to want to have your "tough guy(s)" to be good at hockey too?

pong0814

Jul 27, 2011
Sounds as if WPG's Jim Slater is sidelined with a suspected broken hand. Jets likely to update exact situation today after practice.

So, upper body injury then? :sarcasm:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
IMO Thorburn's fight was a response to the energy, not creation of such. The team looked riled up from the start, and I think that they had a shame talk from Noel that hit home. Maybe sitting Burmistrov helped that too.

We're going to go off-topic here, but it's of my opinion that fighting is pretty much 50/50 chance to which team it's going to inspire more, when it's done merely for inspiration.

But, that's besides the point. I think it's pretty clear that Thorburn is the worst hockey player on the team both this and last season... and I think Noel knows it too as Thorburn tends to have the least amount of icetime on the team (even when GST was playing third line minutes Thorburn's was still not gaining much icetime).

There are many guys on our team (Peluso?), or in the AHL (example: the one that's being called up), that can "answer the call" to a fight (and some would actually win a fight more often than being a punching bag) while actually being able to play hockey.

In the end, you want your team to be the best it can be. Is it so hard to want to have your "tough guy(s)" to be good at hockey too?

exactly. Thank you for saying exactly what i was thinking but it better wording.

what more could i want from him? to be as good as slater is besides faceoffs, that would be a start. It's not as if that's a very rare type of player.

anyway, it turns out my theory was incorrect anyways and that we have the unfortunate luck of being without Jimmy Slates. Hopefully it gives cormier the chance to grab a role and run with it.

wilty00

May 15, 2007
Kelowna/Winnipeg
I'm pretty sure this board is just groupthink central.

Thor has been fine for us. He does his job and doesn't complain. He's far from a detriment to the team and HockeyFights has him at 3-2-1 on the year so I don't know where this "punching bag" idea comes from although I suspect it's probably just another case of someone on here saying it once and all of a sudden it's true and everybody says it.

I'm excited to see what Cormier can bring to the table, but the ragging on Thorburn has gotten a little out of hand. I still think, regardless of the minutes he plays, he's a big part of this team.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Thor has been fine for us. He does his job and doesn't complain. He's far from a detriment to the team and HockeyFights has him at 3-2-1 on the year so I don't know where this "punching bag" idea comes from although I suspect it's probably just another case of someone on here saying it once and all of a sudden it's true and everybody says it.

I'm excited to see what Cormier can bring to the table, but the ragging on Thorburn has gotten a little out of hand. I still think, regardless of the minutes he plays, he's a big part of this team.

No groupthink, just paying attention. Thorburn is one of the most (actually scratch that, the most) easily replaced guy currently on the roster. I guess objective criticism = "ragging"? :laugh:

I have no issue with the guy and would be fine having him around as a depth forward, but I'd prefer if he was upgraded as our 4th line RW at some point.

Donald

Jan 31, 2013

Yup. And you want to see a punching bag, sit Thorburn and see Stuart or Cormier try to contend with Orr or McLaren on Saturday if things get out of hand.

I guess the Jets could theoretically be successful by backing down from every physical challenge that teams like the Leafs give you. But then every game will be like all the Jets vs. Panthers, Hurricanes, or Lightning games we've seen for the past year and a half. Duuulllllllll with no emotion. And it's pretty clear the Jets are a team that feeds off lots of emotion and it elevates their whole team. Probably because they're so young.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

My point is you can get a player that's just as tough and can actually shift the game either offensively or defensively (or for rare players both). Thorburn is not in either category.

This isn't group-think, as Thorburn is barely considered NHL level even outside of Winnipeg.

Here's trivia... which player for this organization has been on the rung 3 years running for being out-shot, out-chanced, and out-scored..... Thorburn
Which player last season did other teams coaches fear the least so they lined up their top pair D against the least than any other player including Glass, Stapleton, Slater, etc.... Thorburn

All it is, is wanting to improve your weakest link.

Last edited:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

The only group think going on is that some of us prefer quantifiable evidence to support our opinions rather then relying on pure conjecture.

your welcome to think Thorburns an effective player, but there's no evidence support to that that isn't anecdotal.

I'm not ragging on him. "Ragging on" is what happens to hainsey, antropov, and jokinen.

All i'm saying is,

1. I don't think thorburn is an effective hockey player
2. there is more evidence to support this claim then refute it

to make sure i put it in the most unemotionally charged manner.

• Chris Thorburn plays the least minutes of any forward
  • The jets are out chanced the most when Chris Thorburn is on the ice
  • Chris Thorburn accpets fights and is not exceptional at it, but fighting has not been proven to influence the outcome of a hockey game in a consistant (EDIT: garrets right, Controllable would be a better word) manner.

and that is why i would like an upgrade on him. It's nothign about vendetta's or group think, it's that i like facts to back up my opinions. The facts say there's probably a better hockey player available for us to be using then Chris Thorburn.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The only group think going on is that some of us prefer quantifiable evidence to support our opinions rather then relying on pure conjecture.

your welcome to think Thorburns an effective player, but there's no evidence support to that that isn't anecdotal.

I'm not ragging on him. "Ragging on" is what happens to hainsey, antropov, and jokinen.

All i'm saying is,

1. I don't think thorburn is an effective hockey player
2. there is more evidence to support this claim then refute it

to make sure i put it in the most unemotionally charged manner.

• Chris Thorburn plays the least minutes of any forward
  • The jets are out chanced the most when Chris Thorburn is on the ice
  • Chris Thorburn accpets fights and is not exceptional at it, but fighting has not been proven to influence the outcome of a hockey game in a controllable manner.

and that is why i would like an upgrade on him. It's nothign about vendetta's or group think, it's that i like facts to back up my opinions. The facts say there's probably a better hockey player available for us to be using then Chris Thorburn.

Fixed vocab :P lol

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Well that is terrifying. I hope the other guy is okay and that Cormier doesn't do that again. Ever.

agreed. coudln't tell what the clip was (no youtubes here) but I've always remembered this about him.

From all instances it sounds like he's made big strides in getting away from these kind of decisions. One poster recently had suggested getting cormier to "walk the line" but how he isn't really that kind of a player, I'm pretty sure this incident is why.

I don't think we'll see this kind of play from Cormier again, which might take away from his ability to play the "line-walking pest" role, but either way, i think i'd rather have a strong defensive forward then the pest.

I'm interested to see how he does in his audition, whenever it is

Donald

Jan 31, 2013
I strongly suspect that even if Thorburn is replaced the Jets will still have a forward who plays the least amount of minutes.

And if the Jets could trade Thorburn for someone who was tougher and a better hockey player, I'm sure they would.

And good grief, I'm no luddite but these are hockey teams, not science projects. Does every single discussion have to revolve around these precious advanced stats? It seems like it's all I read about on here.

Seriously... "but fighting has not been proven to influence the outcome of a hockey game in a consistent manner." Someone tell the players, coaches, and GMs that have been doing this their whole life.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Thank you for insulting everyone's intelligence. Thorburn is a borderline NHL'er. He was fine on this roster when we had no forward depth, but with Wright, Mittens return, Peluso when he comes back, Thorburn becomes a weakness and a redundancy.

Congratulations, the guy fought. Big deal. He can't clear the puck and does not exercise his will physically often enough to be effective in the role he needs to play to stay in the lineup. Thorburn's days are numbered here.

Also, what you term 'groupthink' might, just MIGHT, be astute people recognizing Thorburn for what he is, a 13th forward at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad