Recalled/Assigned: Patrice Cormier Recalled

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
maybe we would care if wright had of broke his back?
or another player?

mclaren was contiuously crosschecking wright, thankfully after a matter of long time, the ref stepped in, but it shouldnt come down to that
in the last minute of a blowout like that, you know what toronto is going to bring, and you have to stand on your two feet, not the refs whistle

I don't really see where you're going with this. Last night, our team kept their cool instead of wasting energy on their goons. If they had done anything, then I would have liked to see a player step up and punish them for it, but the damage would already have been done.

If they throw out their goons against us on Saturday, then GREAT! Let's skate circles against the bums and score on them?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Thank you for insulting everyone's intelligence. Thorburn is a borderline NHL'er. He was fine on this roster when we had no forward depth, but with Wright, Mittens return, Peluso when he comes back, Thorburn becomes a weakness and a redundancy.

Congratulations, the guy fought. Big deal. He can't clear the puck and does not exercise his will physically often enough to be effective in the role he needs to play to stay in the lineup. Thorburn's days are numbered here.

Also, what you term 'groupthink' might, just MIGHT, be astute people recognizing Thorburn for what he is, a 13th forward at best.

Easy now. :laugh: No need to get so defensive. Some else having a very different opinion then you isn't THAT big of a deal.

And I wouldn't really call Thorburn a borderline NHLer. Borderline guys are te ones that are up and down from the NHL to the AHL. Thorburn is in his 7th season in the NHL. That's not a borderline player. But he is nothing more then a 4th line forward and on a team with more depth will get scratched more often. Yes he's easily replaceable but in that sense, someone like Peluso can be too. Most all 4th liners are.

Now to Cormier, hope he does well. He's a good face off replacement.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Not saying you shouldn't stand by your opinion. I admit I respect Thorburn and want him to get a fair hearing. And 'very slightly' is not so absolute.

My case. I saw that in 2011 Fehr had 3 pts in 36 games and was -6. Thorburn had more points, and the same minus in over twice as many games. And Glass had more games but double the minus - same points. Would seem to suggest that -at least- its debatable.

This year Wright is -6 in 24 games with one point. Thorburn one point, -2 in 20 games.

Not a lot of people realize that Thorburn as a rookie was well regarded offensive prospect . And he never has been a real enforcer. He can and will fight to stand up for the team -as he fought Orr - but he's more a player that fights rather than a fighter that plays.

Of course thorburn got more points, the question is Does thorburn consistently influence his teams ability to get more chances to score then anyone else on his team? the answer is, no, he doesn't. Thorburn had the worst possession numbers of the Jets.

the point is, based off CORSI numbers, Thorburn is worse then glass and wright.

we tend to stay away from "boxcars' because they are heavily influenced by factors beyond the playersplay and tend to fluctuate dramatically year by year. they're good in a broad sense, but not when you get down to the level of comparison we are at this point.

based off his play this year, i'd trade Thorburn for fehr in a heartbeat.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
I wouldn't say well regarded. It would be like us and Olsen and Kosmachuk. We hope they have an offensive game and we didn't draft them for enforcer duties, but who knows what the future would bring. I don't view Thorburn as an enforcer, but starting to become one due to lack in contributing elsewhere.

+/- is a terrible stat on it's own IMO, and many are starting to agree. It doesn't take in mind TOI, usage, team/linemate play/strength, and is subjected to variance more than most stats (mostly due to SH% and SV%).

Fehr was severely out-chancing and out-shooting his opponents but a combination of injuries and terrible puckluck (ie: natural variance) lead to a pretty soft year. Fehr was actually creating offensive chances at the same rate as he has been consistently doing the last 4 seasons. Just sometimes it doesn't come together.

Glass was given tougher assignments than Thor when they were separated and much more 5v5 icetime per a game... but it can be debated who's worse, so I will concede there :)

With Wright, one point difference is hardly what I'd call grandiose enough sample size to comment on offensively, but I had called it a wash anyways. Defensively you don't need stats to see who is better between the two. But if you want, Thorburn is a lot more heavily out-shot, out-chanced and out-scored on than Wright relative to their icetime. This icetime is another source of evidence, as you can see that Noel trusts Wright more as Wright has increased his icetime, took Thorburn's spot on the PK, and also is trusted with tougher match-ups far more often.

Reasonable response. I don't want to put Glass (who also seems to playing decently in Pitt) or Fehr down but to suggest Thorburn may not be as absolutely horrible as bandied about here.

I think it was my old yellowed (1999?) Hockey News top 50 prospects that had Thorburn in the top 50.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Of course thorburn got more points, the question is Does thorburn consistently influence his teams ability to get more chances to score then anyone else on his team? the answer is, no, he doesn't. Thorburn had the worst possession numbers of the Jets.

the point is, based off CORSI numbers, Thorburn is worse then glass and wright.

we tend to stay away from "boxcars' because they are heavily influenced by factors beyond the playersplay and tend to fluctuate dramatically year by year. they're good in a broad sense, but not when you get down to the level of comparison we are at this point.

based off his play this year, i'd trade Thorburn for fehr in a heartbeat.

Well, yes. But last year the Jets did not see fit to qualify him and he went eventually to Wash for $600K. He seems to like Washington and evidently had a good stint in Finnish elite.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Well, yes. But last year the Jets did not see fit to qualify him and he went eventually to Wash for $600K. He seems to like Washington and evidently had a good stint in Finnish elite.

agreed.

but lets get back to cormier.

Lets hope he comes in and makes us forget both of them ever existed!

Duir

Looking forward to what Cormier can bring. Could be big opportunity to cement himself on the roster.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I caught the McCambridge interview on the Rona Round table this morning. He had a lot of good things to say about Cormier's play, work ethic and attitude. He was happy for the kid and thought he earned his chance. When asked about Machacek, while he pulled his punches the implication was his attitude and work ethic wasn't where it needed to be and a fresh start would be best for him.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I thought Cormier should be talked about so here's some small sample stats:

NAME | RelQoC | OZS | RelCorsi | SF/60 | SA/60
Cormier | -1.133 | 45.9 | 11.9 | 28.3 | 19.9
Thorburn | -1.521 | 39.4 | -7.7 | 23.0 | 23.0

Here are Cormier's stats from his short stint last season. He seemed to be very responsible and solid defensive zone option, both by eye-test and statistical.
I have placed Thorburn's stats from this season only for referencing, not to make a point. Thorburn's usage this season is the most similar to Cormier's usage last season.

But, as always, be mindful that 9 game isn't a good sample size for making any grand conclusions. I just thought some more on topic discussion would be nice and thought it would be good to mention that he did well statistically in his short tenure last time.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I thought Cormier should be talked about so here's some small sample stats:

NAME | RelQoC | OZS | RelCorsi | SF/60 | SA/60
Cormier | -1.133 | 45.9 | 11.9 | 28.3 | 19.9
Thorburn | -1.521 | 39.4 | -7.7 | 23.0 | 23.0

Here are Cormier's stats from his short stint last season. He seemed to be very responsible and solid defensive zone option, both by eye-test and statistical.
I have placed Thorburn's stats from this season only for referencing, not to make a point. Thorburn's usage this season is the most similar to Cormier's usage last season.

But, as always, be mindful that 9 game isn't a good sample size for making any grand conclusions. I just thought some more on topic discussion would be nice and thought it would be good to mention that he did well statistically in his short tenure last time.

********- TRADE THORBS!

j/k

I'm actually really stoked to see Cormier get another shot. Guys coming up is always exciting. I'm going to float off to fantasy land and imagine a situation where Cormier out plays antropov and Kulda outplays hainsey and we trade both, get to the playoffs, go on a run, slay the dragon, rescue the princess, retire at 40, and live happily ever after

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
Corms gives his all every night.Most deserving.

He's a leaf killer and makes me like him even more.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Corms gives his all every night.Most deserving.

He's a leaf killer and makes me like him even more.

It's the 'gives his all' part that I love. That's what is making Wright successful here. The guy leaves everything on the ice every single shift. The only other player I see doing that consistently is Kane. When they are on the ice, they are working at peak capacity.

I'd love to see Cormier or Kulda or any of the new guys do the same thing. It would be the start of a new attitude for the Jets, as IMO we have a lot of coasters.

Canadienjet

Dec 7, 2006
It's the 'gives his all' part that I love. That's what is making Wright successful here. The guy leaves everything on the ice every single shift. The only other player I see doing that consistently is Kane. When they are on the ice, they are working at peak capacity.

I'd love to see Cormier or Kulda or any of the new guys do the same thing. It would be the start of a new attitude for the Jets, as IMO we have a lot of coasters.

Down here, Cormier and a handful of players that gave it all every night.

Happy to see Kulda come back,he was a rock down here ( no pun intended).

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
********- TRADE THORBS!

j/k

I'm actually really stoked to see Cormier get another shot. Guys coming up is always exciting. I'm going to float off to fantasy land and imagine a situation where Cormier out plays antropov and Kulda outplays hainsey and we trade both, get to the playoffs, go on a run, slay the dragon, rescue the princess, retire at 40, and live happily ever after
If someone wants to overpay for Thorburn, I'll CARRY him to the airport.

Also. I'll plan the parade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad