Player Discussion Patrice Bergeron III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Bergeron is on the mid-season finalist list for the Selke (second place behind Couturier and ahead of O'Reilly)

As a side note, it's kind of amazing to me that he's never been a finalist for the Byng. I know they just generally look at "wow, fewest penalty minutes" but if you go by the definition of "gentlemanly play" I wouldn't put too many guys higher than Bergeron in that category.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Bergeron is on the mid-season finalist list for the Selke (second place behind Couturier and ahead of O'Reilly)

As a side note, it's kind of amazing to me that he's never been a finalist for the Byng. I know they just generally look at "wow, fewest penalty minutes" but if you go by the definition of "gentlemanly play" I wouldn't put too many guys higher than Bergeron in that category.

Yeah they just give to whoever has the lowest penalty minutes. Usually Bergie is in double digits so that excludes him

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

Most respected player - I'm sure if that was a poll question among his peers he'd score very highly. Though not the definition of the Byng it seems like its at least analogous.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I have a bad feeling that the league will want to gift-wrap Coutourier one - though I admit I like his game - and maybe a few other guys a Selke over Bergeron at this point. Kinda like, "Well he had his time and now he's, like, OLD." and Bergeron won't be the player with the most Selke wins under his belt.

I have no evidence to back this up. I just have a gut feeling about it.

Reactions: Bruinaura

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I have a bad feeling that the league will want to gift-wrap Coutourier one - though I admit I like his game - and maybe a few other guys a Selke over Bergeron at this point. Kinda like, "Well he had his time and now he's, like, OLD." and Bergeron won't be the player with the most Selke wins under his belt.

My concern is that some of those voting don't want to see him pass Gainey

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I'm pretty sure he at least has the record for most consecutive Selke nominations, and that's still pretty impressive.

But I do want him to get that fifth one especially since he really should already have it.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I'm surprised Bergeron was willing to talk about the Jones hit to a reporter, seems like he usually doesn't like to do that. Guessing he realized maybe he could help more people if he said something. Too bad it's apparently only viewable in Canada.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Good for Bergy, and I'm glad Gemel is doing better.

Feeling alone is the pits.

We as humans are not meant to be alone, we need people in our corner, we need to feel a part of something, doesn`t matter what that is but just to be a part of something is so vital

I was never diagnosed with depression but my last two years living in the hell of active addiction often had me acting and feeling much like Smith. I didn`t want to be around others (difference is others didn`t want to be around me) but something I took completely for granted was just how much I needed people and now barely a morning or afternoon goes by where I don`t have a CONVERSATION, not just a text with someone else.

Great piece, only solidifies how terrific a human being Bergy is but still shows us how far we still have to go in allowing people feel safe and secure that they won`t be ridiculed or judged for reaching out for help

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
We as humans are not meant to be alone, we need people in our corner, we need to feel a part of something, doesn`t matter what that is but just to be a part of something is so vital

I was never diagnosed with depression but my last two years living in the hell of active addiction often had me acting and feeling much like Smith. I didn`t want to be around others (difference is others didn`t want to be around me) but something I took completely for granted was just how much I needed people and now barely a morning or afternoon goes by where I don`t have a CONVERSATION, not just a text with someone else.

Great piece, only solidifies how terrific a human being Bergy is but still shows us how far we still have to go in allowing people feel safe and secure that they won`t be ridiculed or judged for reaching out for help
Glad you are better :)

It's difficult in any environment. I imagine in the "alpha male" pro sports environment it's even more of a challenge, but hopefully that is starting to change.

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Glad you are better :)

It's difficult in any environment. I imagine in the "alpha male" pro sports environment it's even more of a challenge, but hopefully that is starting to change.

Thx and agreed, male, pro athlete`s, lot`s of pride, don`t want to be seen as doing anything that would be wrongly described as weak or showing any vulnerability. things are definitely getting better but there is ways to go

Reactions: Dr Hook and Ladyfan

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Really glad this core, especially Bergy, are getting this rest.

Recent memory he really seems rejuvenated after a decent amount of time off.

Looked like a new man just after resting the groin... which admittedly I thought was going to be an issue all year and so far, knock on wood, has not. This rest can only help him, and the entire team. Rest the bodies, get away for hockey for a bit, and come back ready to roll.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Really glad this core, especially Bergy, are getting this rest.

Recent memory he really seems rejuvenated after a decent amount of time off.
They're going to need it. There are a lot of back to backs on the schedule in February :confused:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
this thread doesn't see a lot of traffic since Bergeron is just so damn quietly consistent, but I just had to drop in here to say he had such an awesome game last night. The goal was huge obviously, but besides that it was such a vintage Bergeron game with him stripping pucks, making plays on the PK, springing guys on the rush, picking off passes, etc. He's just such a joy to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad