Pat Quinn passes away at the age of 71

contour

Mar 31, 2011
Great coach.

He grew up in a blue collar neighbourhood in Hamilton (close to my home). Everyone there were hard folks who went to work at the steel mills. Really translated into his character. My best memories of being a Leafs fan are from him. Rest in peace.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
:( This seems so sudden. I wasn't even aware he had injured his hip, and assumed he was still trucking along in good health.

RIP sweet prince. You will surely be missed by many, including myself.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
As a Habs fan I always had respect for Pat Quinn. This was raised even higher when he came out to a fundraiser here in Saskatchewan. He gave his speech and whatnot, then the guy stuck around until 2am telling stories to our group like he was just one of the guys. Best storyteller I've ever been around.

RIP

Durkin67

Just got the notification from TSN. :( RIP

Really sad to hear this. What a great piece of hockey history he is.

I somehow found myself on the Team Canada bus in 2004 after they won the championship game VS Finland and ended up at Gretzky's in Toronto for the after party. As I went around the room getting my jersey autographed, I noticed squinty eyed Pat Quinn chomping on a stogie, chuckling at us.

He recognised what a thrill it was for us to be in their company.

Before boarding the bus, we had beers in the dressing too, and the message on the team whiteboard was as follows:

"Pat Quinn is the #*&&#^%% Man"!

Then this:
"Practice cancelled for tomorrow-no one left to beat"

RIP, Coach

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
I posted last week that he wasn't well.

Sorry to hear about his passing. I knew he broke a hip but I assumed then that could been the sign of a greater illness

They prayed for him at the hockey hall of fame induction and JD git choked up because he knew how serious it was.

Be was tough smart and irish
A great coach for the leafs and a future hall of famer
Gone far too soon!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
James Mirtle @mirtle
Cody Franson won the Pat Quinn Trophy when he played for the Vancouver Giants. Got to know him after that and says he was a great man.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I would expect the Leafs would have a tribute to him before the next game, Penguins and Leafs Wenesday.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
RIP Mr. Quinn. He was the coach of the Leafs when I became a diehard. The last coach we actually won with... brought us to the Conference Finals twice. Guy was a legend. Sad day for the hockey world.

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
Very sad news. Great sympathies for his family and friends.

He was my favourite hockey personality of all time. He was an awesome coach and GM that turned the Leafs around and produced the most entertaining hockey I can recall as a Leafs fan.

Okay, Leafs! Time to pay tribute to this man by playing the best hockey since he was turfed out by that dummy group!

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
RIP Coach. We have lost you too soon. :(

We as Leaf fans have lost two iconic coaches way to soon in Pat Burns and now Pat Quinn.

Condolences to the Pat Quinn family. He was a great man and I personally was happy to have met him and be able to watch his career. One of the best coaches I have ever seen.

Again RIP coach, RIP. :(

CalgaryLeaf*

I'm old enough to remember watching Pat Quinn play for the Leafs from 1968-1970...He was a big, tough as nails defenseman and one of my favourites as a kid...I was pizzed when Ballard (or whoever it was) left Quinn unprotected in the expansion draft and Vancouver 'stole him' off the Leafs roster.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
There was a report last week that Quinn was ill and dealing with something beyond the broken hip that was reported publicly.

One of the better coaches this organization has had since 1967, led the team to two Conference Finals, six straight playoff years, a Gold Medal for Canada, and by all accounts, a great man as well.

Truly Sad News. He will be missed. RIP Pat.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Pat was a intimidating man a father figure
Bright guy deep thinker well read. He could have a conversation that woukd be enabling and intriguing. He was never contrived, he. Had time for everybody! An outstanding coach. A great human being. He got the most out of every team he coached. George macphee former gm of capitals

Patient man. Great guy good to players. He let. Curtis play till he got tired. He had confidence in his. Players he was good and fair. He believed in playing out of slumps. Back 10 yrs ago there was no 1a and 1b Pat brought a pot to the game and he deserves accolades As a coach and a person Cujo

Pat made 2 franchises better The leafs need a person if Pat Quinn ilk to turn the ship around.

Being coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs is a huge job and he filled the role.- Paul Maurice

Along with Al Arbour he is the only person to play 600 nhl games and coach 1400
Pat had a impact he wa a leader and a mentor spent most of his caareer in hockey mad markets. He made al players feel like they. Could play better then they were he always had ther backs.

Spent 4 decades in othe NHL as a player and as a coach , gm and president.
Was a member of the selection committie for the hockey hall of fame then beecame the chairman of the board for the hockey hall of fame

Will be a hall of famer

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm shocked and saddened by the passing of Pat Quinn!

I watched him play for my Leafs! I watched him coach my Leafs!

My condolences go out to his family, his friends, and all of his former teammates and hockey colleagues.

My heart is broken with this news!

Rest in Peace Pat!

:(

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I know its cliche to say this but 71 is too young. He was the last great coach we had and helped get the Leafs deep into the playoffs and successfully multiple seasons. RIP Pat Quiin

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
Friend who worked with CNS or Glaxo at the time (can't remember) which were the manufacturers of the 'Nasal Strips', has a cool PQ story, they were filming the Canadian commercial for the Breathe right strips and he was explaining the background of the product to Pat and it's um ... 'Equine' origins (Strips were used to allow horses to better breathe during racing). Pat came back to him saying he would do the commercial if the setup would be him racing horses barefoot around a track and ultimately being the triple crown winner for the first time in 30 years with the ending being 'The streak is over, the '67 erm ... 78 losing streak is over'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad