Pat Quinn passes away at the age of 71

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
R.I.P Pat Quinn I wish you were never let go by the Leafs, another ex-Leaf died on the same day Murray Oliver November 23, 2014 he died of a heart attack at the age of 77 R.I.P to Mr Oliver as well.

Yes, rather a sad day..... Murray Oliver was a terrific player (Wings, Bruins, Leafs & North Stars), two way Center, crafty. We acquired him in May of 67 from the Bruins in exchange for Eddie Shack. Oliver played for the Leafs for 3 seasons, mostly on a line with Ron Ellis & Bob Pulford before being traded to Minnesota where he played another 5yrs. Coincidentally he like Pat Quinn grew up in Hamilton & also like Quinn post playing career became an Asst Coach & Head Coach, in Murrays case with Minnesota through to 1988. He then joined the Canucks as a Scout & then Head Pro Scout with Vancouver for a number of years.

Leafspoison*

This hit me hard. Very sad news. Great man. R.I.P.

Yea, I am struggling with this too. As a child of the 60's, I also got to watch the 72 soviet super series and even though Tikhonov wasn't font and centre, most would agree he was the man behind the machine. Tikhonov and Olliver passed away also.

This is affecting me in a negative way that I can't explain for some reason. Quinn was one of my top 3 fav coaches of all time and had a lot of respect for him. Pat and Pat will have a beer upstairs i am sure of it.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
R.I.P Pat Quinn. Really sad about his death. He was a great coach for the Leafs and lead them to many deep playoff runs. I met him once and just from the couple of minutes I talked to him he was a really nice guy and a great individual. The hockey universe will be saddened by this man's death for a while.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Had a rough time with this today. Pat was one of the guys I looked up to when I was younger. It was weird. I didn't look up to a player. Sure, I loved Gilmour and Clark (when I was REAL young), and then CuJo and Sundin (as I got a tad older), but there was something about Pat Quinn that I just loved. I loved watching his pressers.

I have a story for those interested.

My parents went to a game in Buffalo, and ended up staying in the same hotel as the Maple Leafs. They were sitting in the hotel bar when they saw the Maple Leafs start to come down to go to the bus. Well, my parents went over, to try and talk to some of the players, and they were able to talk to CuJo. As they were talking to him, Quinn walked by, and stood by the door.

Then security came over and started telling my parents they can't bother the players, and not to talk to them. Well Quinn noticed, came over and told the security not to worry about them, and that they are friends of his. He then took the time to talk to my parents for a good 10 minutes, and had some guys come over and sign stuff (for me).

When my parents told me that story, I was amazed. Made me like the guy even more.

I never met Quinn, but I really wished I had. We lost a great hockey man, but an even better human being.

RIP Quinner.

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
Had a rough time with this today. Pat was one of the guys I looked up to when I was younger. It was weird. I didn't look up to a player. Sure, I loved Gilmour and Clark (when I was REAL young), and then CuJo and Sundin (as I got a tad older), but there was something about Pat Quinn that I just loved. I loved watching his pressers.

My parents went to a game in Buffalo, and ended up staying in the same hotel as the Maple Leafs. They were sitting in the hotel bar when they saw the Maple Leafs start to come down to go to the bus. Well, my parents went over, to try and talk to some of the players, and they were able to talk to CuJo. As they were talking to him, Quinn walked by, and stood by the door.

Then security came over and started telling my parents they can't bother the players, and not to talk to them. Well Quinn noticed, came over and told the security not to worry about them, and that they are friends of his. He then took the time to talk to my parents for a good 10 minutes, and had some guys come over and sign stuff (for me).

When my parents told me that story, I was amazed. Made me like the guy even more.

I never met Quinn, but I really wished I had. We lost a great hockey man, but an even better human being.

RIP Quinner.

Wow, that's one hell of a ****ing story. It's the small things, ya know?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I liked Quinn.

We had a great era under Quinn, I liked those teams a lot.

Shoulda had one with Quinn. A shame really there was no cup won there.

What I enjoyed most was listening to him talk after games. His knowledge and love for the game was awesome. He just had such a way of speaking he was very thoughtful about the game.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Here to pay my respects to you Patty. May you rest in peace.

You gave us a hell of a ride here. Thanks. You and Burnsie, you big wonderful Irish ********, god bless both of you up there for the best times of my Leaf fan life. It ain't easy here in Hog Town and there's only a couple of people yay on these 100 years of Leaf Nation that can stand up and say "that man there was a hell of a coach for the Leafs".

Not easy to leave this town as a coach on good terms. That you did it speaks volumes. I remember how upset I was when they stripped you of GM, and the gong show began. We are still paying the price.

To all your real family and friends, to whom you were more then just a great hockey man on the tv for my team, my greatest condolences. His personality shone through and I know your loss must be terrible.

RIP Coach Pat Quinn

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Very sad news. Got into the game and the Leafs with Pat at the helm. Loved those teams, loved his insight into the game, and how good we had it then...

I'm glad I had the opportunity to see him coach, and from all accounts he was a great man as well. What a tragic loss to the hockey community.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

RIP Quinner.

I had a rough time too! :cry:

Being only 12 years younger than Pat, it really woke me up to my own mortality! :help:

That was a great story about Pat and your parents. :thumbu:

Pat Quinn is my favourite coach of all time, followed very closely by Pat Burns! May they both R.I.P! :cry:

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Quinn always commanded respect, through this entire career, as a player, coach and executive. He was a gem.

And don't forget during the 1979-80 season, long before the era of regular season overtime games, Quinn was coach of the Flyers when they went 35 games undefeated. Think about that. Almost half a season without a loss.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was surprised to hear was in the hospital during the HHOF, I figured he'd be ok. Really sad to hear that he lost the battle, anyone know what his ailment was?

Pat was the last great coach this team had, and the last great GM (sorry Burke). We were always competitive when he was at the helm.

Do people know that Pat Quinn was the actual chairman of the board of selection committee for the Hockey Hall of Fame?.

When he wasn't at the event he chairs you felt something was wrong and now with his passing he will be inducted into the HHOF in short order.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Do people know that Pat Quinn was the actual chairman of the board of selection committee for the Hockey Hall of Fame?.

When he wasn't at the event he chairs you felt something was wrong and now with his passing he will be inducted into the HHOF in short order.

I sincerely hope they don't drag their heals on getting Pat Quinn inducted! It was a real travesty that it took so long getting Pat Burns in IMHO! :rant:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I sincerely hope they don't drag their heals on getting Pat Quinn inducted! It was a real travesty that it took so long getting Pat Burns in IMHO! :rant:

Well there would be a conflict of interest if you're chairman of the selection HHOF committee board and getting inducted into the HHOF by recommending and approving yourself. ;)

I don't think this was a slight but rather situation based on Quinn working for the HHOF directly.

Quinn recently appointed new members and its those very members that will recognize his contributions to the Hockey World.

Hockey Hall of Fame Announces New Appointments to the Selection Committee

Pat Quinn, Chairman of the Hockey Hall of Fame, announced today that Columbus Blue Jackets President of Hockey Operations and recipient of the Foster Hewitt Memorial Award (2009), John Davidson, has been appointed to succeed Jim Gregory (HHOF Class of 2007) as Chairman of the Selection Committee, effective April 1, 2014. Davidson's extended term appointment was confirmed along with three new members of the Selection Committee at the Directors' meeting held earlier today in Toronto.

Philadelphia Flyers Senior Vice-President, Bob Clarke (HHOF Class of 1987), Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations and General Manager, David Poile, and Los Angeles Kings President of Business Operations, Luc Robitaille (HHOF Class of 2009), will join the Selection Committee replacing Quinn (who stepped down last July to become Chairman of the Board), Gregory and Serge Savard (HHOF Class of 1986), the latter two having reached the stipulated limit for length of service.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

RIP Quinner.

What an amazing story.

Always knew Pat was a classy guy.

RIP Mr Quinn and thanks for the memories.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I really enjoyed watching The Mighty Quinn documentary last night. I had no idea that Quinn's tenure as a player for the Leafs in the 60's was so eventful, LOL. It also brought back so many great memories of the hard nosed Leaf teams that he coached.

I highly recommend watching it. I'm sure it will be aired again this week on Leafs TV and Sportsnet.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

RIP Quinner.

I can attest to this, I met him a couple times on the street around the ACC. Very pleasant, humble man was the impression I got after some brief chats, we had a few laughs.

RIP

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
The Leafs are wearing a clover with the initials 'PQ' on it for the next two games. It looks really nice and classy.

maple-leafs-pat-quinn-patch.jpg

I kind of hope they decide to keep it the whole season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I had this dream for a while that Pat Quinn would return to coach the Leafs one more time. Now I know it will never happen. RIP Pat Quinn, thanks for all the memories.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Well there would be a conflict of interest if you're chairman of the selection HHOF committee board and getting inducted into the HHOF by recommending and approving yourself. ;)

I don't think this was a slight but rather situation based on Quinn working for the HHOF directly.

Quinn recently appointed new members and its those very members that will recognize his contributions to the Hockey World.

I was speaking about getting Quinn inducted as soon as possible, posthumously. Obviously, he's no longer the chairman of the HHOF selection committee now. ;)

R.I.P. Pat!

Feb 24, 2004
One of the best coaches in franchise history; I still remember how much he was railroaded on this board in 2005/2006.

Rest in peace Pat. Hope you're enjoying the best cigar ever right now.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Leafs will be wearing the jersey patch for two games, and then a helmet patch for the remainder of the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad