Player Discussion Pat Maroon

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Wow to listen to him on the last Morning Bru, I don't know how you can not be excited for him to be in our room this time. His philosophy (play by play) on how you win a series is something we've certainly lacked. That was largely how Florida beat us (and STL before them).

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

With less than a month to go until the start of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Bruins might have some bruising reinforcements on the way.
For the first time since joining the Bruins via trade on March 8, winger Pat Maroon skated ahead of Boston’s morning skate at TD Garden on Thursday.
Maroon, acquired from Minnesota in exchange for a conditional 2026 sixth-round pick, is recovering from back surgery. The 35-year-old power forward went under the knife on Feb. 7 and was initially tabbed with a four to six-week recovery.

“It was his first day on [the ice]. Big Rig is on his way back,” Jim Montgomery said Thursday. “Still week to week, and we’ve talked about his role and what my expectations are.”

At this point, the Bruins may be looking at April as a realistic window for Maroon to return. There are seven regular-season games that month before the playoffs begin around April 22.

A three-time Stanley Cup champion, Maroon is still a feared presence on the ice thanks to his imposing 6-foot-3, 234-pound frame. The St. Louis native has logged 344 total penalty minutes over the last three seasons.

Even though Maroon might be known more for his physical play at this stage of his career, he injected some scoring punch into the Wild’s bottom-six grouping this season — scoring four goals and posting 16 points in 49 games.

The Bruins will welcome the snarl and veteran mettle that Maroon provides, especially during postseason play.

But Boston also doesn’t necessarily need to rush him back, especially with the current fourth-line trio of Johnny Beecher, Jesper Boqvist, and Justin Brazeau posting strong returns together.

In their three games together, the Beecher-Boqvist-Brazeau trio have logged 15:28 of 5-on-5 ice time. Over that stretch, the Bruins have outscored teams, 2-0, and held a 9-3 edge in shots on goal despite only logging one faceoff in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Gordoff

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm guessing if they feel the playoffs are too big for Beecher, Maroon steps in to play some games on the 4th line. But then they lose one of the their best faceoff guys. Lauko is also deserving of seeing time out there too. The depth is nice but I'm not exactly sure who will get the nod to start.

Reactions: Ladyfan

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
I bet Patrick Brown was estatic Maroon was traded here as he now longer has to be the whipping boy

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I just hope he has some support. It's pretty hard to go to battle for guys when you're new and they don't back you up.
He will hear it from some fans (especially if he sucks) but he is lucky to come to a team that accepts all.

Pat Maroon leading the post-practice stretch for the Boston Bruins

1712005518722.png

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Hoping Pat can help get these guys in the proper mindset on what it takes to be successful in the playoffs since it’s been a couple years of bowing out early and 2 rounds won in four years
I hope Bs fans are not expecting too much from him. He probably is not in game shape.

Reactions: Thirty Seven

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I hope Bs fans are not expecting too much from him. He probably is not in game shape.
He's still a couple of weeks away by the sounds of it and from hearing what he says the Bruins aren't putting him in the line-up until they feel he's ready.

On his side is that he is a professional athlete and he's always relied on his brawn more than his skillset. Although he can play the game, just at a lower pace than most.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Hoping Pat can help get these guys in the proper mindset on what it takes to be successful in the playoffs since it’s been a couple years of bowing out early and 2 rounds won in four years
These move by Sweeney is a no lose move, there are a lot of guys who know what to say, but this guy unless I am reading him wrong, he means what he says. I hope he is healthy and that the fans give him a warm reception, he is here for a reason to add something this team lacks and I also believe that he will show some guys how it is done and make them more important to this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad