News Article: Pascal Dupuis - "Why I'm coming back"

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Seems like he is saying that he wants to be counted on, and he wants the Stanley Cup, and he wants to bring it back to his family so he can say "look what I did, I came back from blood clots and won the Stanley Cup." Seems like he acknowledges pretty clearly in the article that this is about him and winning a Stanley Cup. Not his family.

Except the part where he said this about his family:

They're the biggest reason I am coming back

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I don't know how big of a risk he's actually taking by playing. The risk is in lying about a clot in order to play. Dupuis needs to treat any game from here on as a bonus, and be ready to quit at a moment's notice if something is wrong.

That said, I'm a little giddy about his presence in the lockerroom, and his playing an appropriate role in the lineup. His story doesn't hurt, either.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Well, this is why so few articles like The Player's Tribune exist. People are so quick to be critical of people rather than just read an article and realize this is how a player feels. Dupuis is stubborn, that is why is in the NHL. He will continue to be that way. He realizes lying about the clots was harmful to him, his team and his family. Can't you guys just read an article from a perspective and understand it rather than acting like that perspective is wrong?

Unfortunately, the answer to that question is painstakingly obvious.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Which none of us would know if it wasn't for Dupuis telling us in the previous article. Isn't it obvious he feels remorse for once again being a stubborn person? Isn't that what both of these articles have been about? How he is too stubborn to just give up?

read this article again and tell me what definitive statement dupuis makes about whether he truly regrets hiding the symptoms or not

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well, this is why so few articles like The Player's Tribune exist. People are so quick to be critical of people rather than just read an article and realize this is how a player feels. Dupuis is stubborn, that is why is in the NHL. He will continue to be that way. He realizes lying about the clots was harmful to him, his team and his family. Can't you guys just read an article from a perspective and understand it rather than acting like that perspective is wrong?

I think I've been pretty fair here. I understand where he is coming from and I am impressed with the work and dedication he has to the game. For all of the hockey reasons in the world, I get it. What frustrated me, and maybe I went on too big of a tirade, is that he tries to justify his decision as doing it for his family. That bothers me and I've made that clear.

Also, what does reading an article and understanding it mean to you? Am I just supposed to say "cool story, I understand it"? Because all I see here is people making a judgment of Dupuis, positive or negative, on his decision and character.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Seems like he is saying that he wants to be counted on, and he wants the Stanley Cup, and he wants to bring it back to his family so he can say "look what I did, I came back from blood clots and won the Stanley Cup." Seems like he acknowledges pretty clearly in the article that this is about him and winning a Stanley Cup. Not his family.

Do you think TV didn't want to be counted on and to win a Stanley Cup, especially since he never had one?

Do you think the game somehow meant less to TV?

Did Robert Smith not exhibit great courage when he left 20 million on the table and retired at 28 because he felt "my health is more important than this game and money can't buy my health back"?

Those who know when to walk away are the ones with the real courage.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Do you think TV didn't want to be counted on and to win a Stanley Cup, especially since he never had one?

Did Robert Smith not exhibit great courage when he left 20 million on the table and retired at 28 because he felt "my health is more important than this game and money can't buy my health back"?

I'd argue that has more to do with wisdom than courage. Duper was brave in coming out with admitting he was scared, that's courage imo.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
I'm likely projecting because I have a female dupuis in my family, but I really hope his loved ones are genuinely OK with his decision and not just being good sports while secretly resenting him for it. Because really, they're the ones that are being courageous and putting their personal feelings and fears aside while hubby/daddy continues to chase personal fulfillment at a possible cost to his health and long-term well-being.

To be clear, I'm not saying what he's doing is wrong. He's only doing what he wants and what feels right, with the apparent support of his family. My only suggestion is that he lets go of this "I'm doing this for you, guys" business. It's unfair and dishonest, and it can do some serious damage if something goes wrong medically.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I think that different people have different motives. Vokoun was fine playing on middling teams that never made the playoffs until he turned 37. Dupuis hasn't even turned 37. Vokoun also tried to mount a come back from those second round of blood clots. So, let's not act like he was just gracefully signed out. He tried to mount a comeback and realized his health didn't allow him to do so. That didn't happen with Dupuis. He is in a position to still play, so he is going to play.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'd argue that has more to do with wisdom than courage. Duper was brave in coming out with admitting he was scared, that's courage imo.

It takes wisdom to understand what the intelligent decision is. It takes courage to actually follow through with it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think I've been pretty fair here. I understand where he is coming from and I am impressed with the work and dedication he has to the game. For all of the hockey reasons in the world, I get it. What frustrated me, and maybe I went on too big of a tirade, is that he tries to justify his decision as doing it for his family. That bothers me and I've made that clear.

Also, what does reading an article and understanding it mean to you? Am I just supposed to say "cool story, I understand it"? Because all I see here is people making a judgment of Dupuis, positive or negative, on his decision and character.

It helps me gain perspective on people. Dupuis is the type of person that is going to fight through anything to play hockey. Is he some what dumb because of it? Yes. Is he taking a risk? Yes.

His family, organization, and doctors are supportive of his decision though. How is he in the wrong and how is it wrong if he feels like bringing a Stanley Cup home to his family justifies the stress he has put them through?

I think his main point in the article like most people who talk about the Cup is that it takes sacrifice and it takes selfishness. He wants to show that sometimes that sacrifice and selfishness is worth it, by winning a Stanley Cup, being an integral part of the Penguins if they do it, and bringing it back to his family to show them that his sacrifice and selfishness was not without purpose.

I also think it is pretty obvious that Dupuis told his family first when he lied about the clot rather than writing the original article. His spouse is obviously okay with it, as we all know any break in trust in a relationship can be a huge deal whether it be something as simple as going to the bar one night or cheating on a spouse.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm likely projecting because I have a female dupuis in my family, but I really hope his loved ones are genuinely OK with his decision and not just being good sports while secretly resenting him for it. Because really, they're the ones that are being courageous and putting their personal feelings and fears aside while hubby/daddy continues to chase personal fulfillment at a possible cost to his health and long-term well-being.

To be clear, I'm not saying what he's doing is wrong. He's only doing what he wants and what feels right, with the apparent support of his family. My only suggestion is that he lets go of this "I'm doing this for you, guys" business. It's unfair and dishonest, and it can do some serious damage if something goes wrong medically.

Thank you. That really sums up my thoughts nicely. Having it argued from the perspective of his family was a good way to say it.

Now, his wife and kids could very well be all for it, but I think you brought up a great point when it comes to who is actually sacrificing here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think that different people have different motives. Vokoun was fine playing on middling teams that never made the playoffs until he turned 37. Dupuis hasn't even turned 37. Vokoun also tried to mount a come back from those second round of blood clots. So, let's not act like he was just gracefully signed out. He tried to mount a comeback and realized his health didn't allow him to do so. That didn't happen with Dupuis. He is in a position to still play, so he is going to play.

Do you really believe that Vokoun was fine playing on "middling teams"? That's a pretty big assumption on your part.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Thank you. That really sums up my thoughts nicely. Having it argued from the perspective of his family was a good way to say it.

Now, his wife and kids could very well be all for it, but I think you brought up a great point when it comes to who is actually sacrificing here.

I think his wife has probably been sacrificing for Dupuis her entire life. Like I said, read the book by Sean Pronger to get an idea about what is like to be the spouse of a player that is a borderline NHLer, especially when family is involved. I honestly think this situation is probably one of the least difficult ones for her to deal with, especially now that doctors are medically clearing him to play.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It helps me gain perspective on people. Dupuis is the type of person that is going to fight through anything to play hockey. Is he some what dumb because of it? Yes. Is he taking a risk? Yes.

His family, organization, and doctors are supportive of his decision though. How is he in the wrong and how is it wrong if he feels like bringing a Stanley Cup home to his family justifies the stress he has put them through?

I think his main point in the article like most people who talk about the Cup is that it takes sacrifice and it takes selfishness. He wants to show that sometimes that sacrifice and selfishness is worth it, by winning a Stanley Cup, being an integral part of the Penguins if they do it, and bringing it back to his family to show them that his sacrifice and selfishness was not without purpose.

I also think it is pretty obvious that Dupuis told his family first when he lied about the clot rather than writing the original article. His spouse is obviously okay with it, as we all know any break in trust in a relationship can be a huge deal whether it be something as simple as going to the bar one night or cheating on a spouse.

So understanding an article means taking a positive spin on someone's decision?

I don't disagree with a lot of what you wrote here, but just because you understand his decision and seem to affirm it, doesn't mean your interpretation of his motives is the only way to understand the article.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So understanding an article means taking a positive spin on someone's decision?

I don't disagree with a lot of what you wrote here, but just because you understand his decision and seem to affirm it, doesn't mean your interpretation of his motives is the only way to understand the article.

I don't really agree with Dupuis. If I was in the situation, I feel like I'd stop for my partner. I'm that kind of person. Dupuis obviously is not and likely has a partner that respects and understands that part of him. Especially given the fact that he has bounced around the league and was undrafted.

I think making rash judgements off of reading 200 words somebody wrote is a little outlandish though. Especially when people are saying Dupuis doesn't care about his family. People are complex, and while he may be selfish, I think the first article clearly points out as soon as he saw his family and realized that he could lose them because he was lying about a blood clot, he obviously values them greatly.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think his wife has probably been sacrificing for Dupuis her entire life. Like I said, read the book by Sean Pronger to get an idea about what is like to be the spouse of a player that is a borderline NHLer, especially when family is involved. I honestly think this situation is probably one of the least difficult ones for her to deal with, especially now that doctors are medically clearing him to play.

Right. I guess my main point here is that at some point it's time to hang it up and be there for your family and kids. Honestly, I'm not trying to tell Dupuis now is the right time. I'm just questioning his reasoning for continuing.

I will admit it's hard for us as fans to understand where he is coming from. None of us are professional athletes (at least not that I know of). There is nothing in this world I would give as much dedication to as Duper has to the game of hockey, outside of my family. I didn't make it to professional hockey, for a number of reasons I'm sure, but partly because I didn't have the crazy drive that he had. Learning when it is time to hang them up and turn off that drive is likely incredibly hard.

Whambino

Nov 28, 2014
You all also need to stop with the presumptions of why he is doing this. Have you ever talked to him? Do you know Dupuis? Do you have a degree in Psychology that allows you to determine what someone's true motives are based off of an article? No, no, and no. So stop judging him and attacking his character. He said what he said, and I took it to be true and went with it. I mean I'm fairly certain he is more aware of his own motives than any of you are so...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Do you really believe that Vokoun was fine playing on "middling teams"? That's a pretty big assumption on your part.

Vokoun was my favorite goaltender during his tenure in the NHL. He spent time with the Preds when they were first starting out and the Panthers for the next half of his career. He could've easily demanded a trade if he wanted to be on a legit contender and probably would've garnered tons of interest. Even in his last year he clearly out played MAF in the playoffs. I guess it is an assumption, but I really feel like if he wanted to be on a contender earlier in his career he could've definitely done it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't really agree with Dupuis. If I was in the situation, I feel like I'd stop for my partner. I'm that kind of person. Dupuis obviously is not and likely has a partner that respects and understands that part of him. Especially given the fact that he has bounced around the league and was undrafted.

I think making rash judgements off of reading 200 words somebody wrote is a little outlandish though. Especially when people are saying Dupuis doesn't care about his family. People are complex, and while he may be selfish, I think the first article clearly points out as soon as he saw his family and realized that he could lose them because he was lying about a blood clot, he obviously values them greatly.

Fair points. I hope my posts haven't come across as me saying Duper doesn't care about his family. I have tried to say that I do believe he is a good family man that loves his family. I just didn't like him using his family to justify what is ultimately a personal decision that does more good for him than his family members.

At this point I've probably said the same thing over and over so I should probably be done :laugh:

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
It isn't just a game, it's a job with risks & all the players & their families know this.

It seems to me that some like the big melodrama **** around here, take UTEOTime for ex. with his "he could easily die from another blood clot" ****.

Duper's message is pretty simple actually, "never give up".

i am not sure how i am being melodramatic. someone made the comment that its not like dupuis could die on the ice. i corrected them. with a pulmonary embolus he could die over the course of a few minutes on the ice. big PE, heart has too pump too hard, heart gives out, no blood to brain, dead in a few minutes.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
i am not sure how i am being melodramatic. someone made the comment that its not like dupuis could die on the ice. i corrected them. with a pulmonary embolus he could die over the course of a few minutes on the ice. big PE, heart has too pump too hard, heart gives out, no blood to brain, dead in a few minutes.

Do you have a medical background that supercedes the doctors who examined his SPECIFIC case?

If they told him he was clear to go then i'll believe them & thank you again for the extreme case scenario. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad