News Article: Pascal Dupuis - "Why I'm coming back"

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I would say this is an ideal scenario for that discussion, actually.

Being told this is courageous and a good lesson for his kids, is disturbing to me.

It's a game. Nothing more. Why people are trying to blur that line, is beyond me.

So because it's beyond you, it is somehow wrong?

You seem to be speaking in facts and absolutes instead of giving an opinion. Perhaps choose your language more carefully.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
It isn't just a game, it's a job with risks & all the players & their families know this.

It seems to me that some like the big melodrama **** around here, take UTEOTime for ex. with his "he could easily die from another blood clot" ****.

Duper's message is pretty simple actually, "never give up".

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
It isn't just a game, it's a job with risks & all the players & their families know this.

It seems to me that some like the big melodrama **** around here, take UTEOTime for ex. with his "he could easily die from another blood clot" ****.

Duper's message is pretty simple actually, "never give up".

This is a pretty important point.

It is a game to US. It is not a game to these guys. This is their way of life. It is something they have trained for their entire lives and a group of 1000 people who are the best in the world at what they do.

Yeah, kids game. Christ sake.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think it's kind of naive to think Dupuis is doing this for anyone but himself. He's made an entire life of playing hockey, and anyone who plays for 15+ years at the highest level in the world has some degree of fanatical obsession with "the dream."

Dupuis isn't ready to give up on living his dream yet, and is unwilling or unable to move on from the game. Right or wrong, he's doing it 100% for himself.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think it's kind of naive to think Dupuis is doing this for anyone but himself. He's made an entire life of playing hockey, and anyone who plays for 15+ years at the highest level in the world has some degree of fanatical obsession with "the dream."

Dupuis isn't ready to give up on living his dream yet, and is unwilling or unable to move on from the game. Right or wrong, he's doing it 100% for himself.

Doesn't he pretty much make that argument in the article?

People make decisions based on themselves all the time. Do marathon runners run a marathon to prove their worth to their family? No, they do it to prove to themselves that they can do it.

That doesn't mean families aren't their to support them and that by accomplishing their personal goals they aren't sharing their accomplishments with their family. I've been incredibly happy with my family members when they have preserved through situations that I didn't think they would.

Dupuis' family especially his wife obviously understand how much returning means to him. He makes the point in the second to last paragraph that he isn't being completely honest and that the main reason he is coming back is to prove those who doubt him wrong.

I really don't see what is wrong with that aside from people complaining that Dupuis is being selfish when it is entirely in his decision to do whatever he wants with his body. Also, the assessment that he is somehow going to die is just ridiculous. Plenty of players hide injuries, plenty of players still return from them.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Of course but that isn't negating the fact that by doing so, he's also teaching his son to never give up. I also suspect that given Duper's possible inferiority complex he wants everyone to think he's a 'hero', including his son. Speaking of the 'hero' word, he doesn't have to be a real one (war vet etc.) to be one in his son's eyes. Duper said people thought of him being a zero as in not having a chance to make juniors & then the NHL so what's so wrong as him wanting to be a 'hero' in a hockey way? Yeah... from zero to hero with ego whatever...

Anyway, this thread is starting to piss me off as i feel we're starting to go in circles. :laugh:

EDIT: WHAT PIXIES SAID.

Fraction Jackson

Mar 1, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I think it's possible to have respect for his decision and admiration for the dedication it requires, while also being worried that it ties in to a larger pattern of issues with professional athletes defining themselves first and foremost as professional athletes and having difficulty moving on, both in terms of when to end their career and in terms of how to adjust post-career. It is legitimately a fairly major issue now across all major sports for a lot of different reasons.

That being said I hope he picks up right where he left off in terms of his play. If he still has the ability and his health doesn't get in the way then that's fantastic both for him and for the Pens.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So because it's beyond you, it is somehow wrong?

You seem to be speaking in facts and absolutes instead of giving an opinion. Perhaps choose your language more carefully.

I've made it quite obvious it's my opinion. Your lack of reading comprehension isn't my responsibility.

Overcoming physical and mental obstacles in life is courageous.

Is giving up a game you love because it's the right thing to do, a mental obstacle that requires courage?

Which requires more courage? Walking away from the game for your family and health, or making a decision to keep playing which is really about your own wants and desires?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Is giving up a game you love because it's the right thing to do, a mental obstacle that requires courage?

Which requires more courage? Walking away from the game for your family and health, or making a decision to keep playing which is really about your own wants and desires?

I think it is pretty obvious Dupuis is a stubborn person. His family supports his decisions as is said in the article. Doctors who know far more about blood clots than the majority of us, support his decisions. If he is willing and able and has the blessing of his family, why should he not continue his career?

This isn't a hockey thing. Plenty of people reach a point in their lives where they don't know what to do after retiring. If Dupuis wants to put in two more years while he is able, and last year when he did play he is more than able, who is to say what he is doing wrong especially when experts and those closest to him are supportive of those decisions?

Did you ever read Sean Pronger's book about the AHL? That type of lifestyle seems much more disrespectful to someone's family and partner than Dupuis simply returning to the life style he has earned through dedication and hard work and a life style that experts condone his body can handle.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No one seemed to feel this way about Timonen, Vokoun and others that had this issue.

Why Dupuis?

I flat out said TV should retire and when he did I explicitly stated he was making an intelligent choice.

TV also knew the dangers of blood clots and said he always was quick to report symptoms.

Dupuis made an idiotic decision to hide his symptoms and he put hockey before his health and family. There is such a huge difference here that people are ignoring and being obtuse about.

I think it is pretty obvious Dupuis is a stubborn person. His family supports his decisions as is said in the article. Doctors who know far more about blood clots than the majority of us, support his decisions. If he is willing and able and has the blessing of his family, why should he not continue his career?

This isn't a hockey thing. Plenty of people reach a point in their lives where they don't know what to do after retiring. If Dupuis wants to put in two more years while he is able, and last year when he did play he is more than able, who is to say what he is doing wrong especially when experts and those closest to him are supportive of those decisions?

Did you ever read Sean Pronger's book about the AHL? That type of lifestyle seems much more disrespectful to someone's family and partner than Dupuis simply returning to the life style he has earned through dedication and hard work and a life style that experts condone his body can handle.

No self respecting doctor will guarantee Dupuis won't have another blood clot. He has already put hockey over everything else in his life with his poor decision making and made it abundantly clear what the game means to him. He was warned about the symptoms and dangers of blood clots when he had his first one, and he ignored those warnings.

What makes people think he won't do that again? Some posters around here are acting as if he was unaware of the dangers of blood clots when he ignored the shooting pains in his chest.

And playing in the A vs a guy who hid his symptoms going back on the ice is so much an apple to an orange that it's not even worth engaging you on this.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Because Dupuis has a history of knowing he had a blood clot and not telling anyone right away.

Which none of us would know if it wasn't for Dupuis telling us in the previous article. Isn't it obvious he feels remorse for once again being a stubborn person? Isn't that what both of these articles have been about? How he is too stubborn to just give up?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Terrible logic. His condition is not THAT bad. There are many players in the NHL that deal with the same thing. This isn't going to kill him. Yes there is a small chance, but it's highly unlikely. You clearly have no idea what it means to distill life lessons in someone.

Yes I do. I just don't think it's courageous to persevere at this point in his career "for" his family. He hid a blood clot and played 5 games through it because he was afraid of never playing hockey again, not because he was showing his family a lesson about courage.

Him coming back and playing is more about him then his family. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Because Dupuis has a history of knowing he had a blood clot and not telling anyone right away.

One day you'll get over it, maybe when he retires after having honoured his contract. ;)

As for why people are talking about it so much is partly based on the polarisation of opinions & those Warrior & Hero articles.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
how dare you man. I'm serious. That and other **** like that in this thread is so irresponsible it makes my head spin. If you want to make definitive statements like the one above after reading between the lines of a less than 2000 words, ghost-written article... I mean go ahead I guess. It's arrogant and presumptuous and seems to be motivated by contrarianism, cynicism-for-the-sake-of-cynicism, and self-righteous hand-wringing but - go ahead.

This thread was really disappointing to read. And just to be clear, I'm not some meathead who is okay with players hurting themselves as long as I get to clap and my team does well. I'm borderline anti-fighting. I argue with people constantly that rip players for seeking justice for injuries sustained while playing. I value Duper's health above his role on my favorite hockey team. But in no way shape or form will I make confident assertions regarding his family relations in this context. ESPECIALLY ones that are disparaging.

How dare I question the motives of a guy that hid a blood clot from his family and team because he was scared he couldn't play hockey anymore? I mean, really?

I have never said he isn't a good family man. You can tell from these articles that he cares very deeply for his family. That said, It's also clear from his own words here that his primary focus from the moment he had a clot was getting healthy so he can play hockey again. I mean, he said it. I'm not making it up out of thin air.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think it's possible to have respect for his decision and admiration for the dedication it requires, while also being worried that it ties in to a larger pattern of issues with professional athletes defining themselves first and foremost as professional athletes and having difficulty moving on, both in terms of when to end their career and in terms of how to adjust post-career. It is legitimately a fairly major issue now across all major sports for a lot of different reasons.

That being said I hope he picks up right where he left off in terms of his play. If he still has the ability and his health doesn't get in the way then that's fantastic both for him and for the Pens.

Solid post. I agree with this.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No one seemed to feel this way about Timonen, Vokoun and others that had this issue.

Why Dupuis?

Vokoun retired as a result of it so uh, that's not really applicable. As hockey fans we wanted him to come back, but as people, we were happy to see him retired. I'm sure that was hard for him, but he ultimately made the decision he felt was best for him and his family.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Which none of us would know if it wasn't for Dupuis telling us in the previous article. Isn't it obvious he feels remorse for once again being a stubborn person? Isn't that what both of these articles have been about? How he is too stubborn to just give up?

Yes which is exactly why people are being critical of him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No, he tries to make the argument that he is coming back FOR his family. That's pretty much the only thing I've taken issue with.

Of course, if I’m being completely honest, that’s not the only reason. People have told me I wasn’t good enough my entire life. Not good enough for Juniors. Not good enough for the NHL. Not good enough to play on Sidney Crosby’s wing. Even now, I’m sure there’s plenty of people who have left me for dead. They clearly do not know me. My goal is not to just come back and lace them up for one more season and be a good locker room guy. I want to be an impact player on the ice. I want to be counted on.

My ultimate goal has never changed. It’s the thing that I was thinking about when I went into the tube for the CT scan last year. The thing I was thinking about when I was counting out spinach leaves this spring. It was going through my mind as I pushed a 400-pound sled up and down the turf this summer. And it was the only thing that got me through the uncertainty and the injections and all of the medical jargon. That thing is the Stanley Cup.

Seems like he is saying that he wants to be counted on, and he wants the Stanley Cup, and he wants to bring it back to his family so he can say "look what I did, I came back from blood clots and won the Stanley Cup." Seems like he acknowledges pretty clearly in the article that this is about him and winning a Stanley Cup. Not his family.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes which is exactly why people are being critical of him.

Well, this is why so few articles like The Player's Tribune exist. People are so quick to be critical of people rather than just read an article and realize this is how a player feels. Dupuis is stubborn, that is why is in the NHL. He will continue to be that way. He realizes lying about the clots was harmful to him, his team and his family. Can't you guys just read an article from a perspective and understand it rather than acting like that perspective is wrong?

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
If he wasn't that stubborn he never would have gotten to where he is, for better & worst it's part of who he is, just like there's pros & cons for coming back. This is Duper in all his splendor, face it folks.

If family, friends, team, org & doctors are ok with it, then so am i.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad