Part XVIII: Phoenix -- Imminence Front

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugu

In otherwords, the theory of the CoG is to wait and hope that things tomorrow will be better than today.

One thread title I was considering was J. Wellington Wimpy's, "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

wimpy.jpg

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
And my understanding is that doesn't even take interest into account. I don't know how anyone (Coyotes fan or not) can agree with this "deal" without feeling a great deal of shame.

I'm sure, from their perspective, some fans still think this is a good deal... :help:

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
From the sidebar:

Public records not released

The Arizona Republic orally requested copies of Glendale's parking-revenue studies from city officials on Dec. 14, the night the City Council approved the Coyotes deal.The paper followed up the next day with a written public-records request.

Two days after the vote, Glendale provided the reports to the Goldwater Institute, a conservative watchdog that is in a lawsuit with the city regarding release of Coyotes-related public records and is scrutinizing the arena agreement.

Glendale, four weeks later, still has not produced any documents for The Republic, despite a second request. Arizona statute requires government to "promptly" respond to public-records requests.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
From the sidebar:

I believe the delay in getting the parking analysis study distributed to those that requested it was an attempt to save $$$ on paper, ink, stamps and the high cost of photocopying or photocopy machine was broken and they couldn't afford to fix it.

JetFan4Ever

May 23, 2010
I haven't looked but considering that Glendale received two parking studies, were they commissioned at the same time? or were they not happy with one and asked for another?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I haven't looked but considering that Glendale received two parking studies, were they commissioned at the same time? or were they not happy with one and asked for another?

One study found that the parking wasn't worth nearly $100 million, while the other study found that it was. Try to guess which parking study came first...:sarcasm:

Adventure Metal

Jun 10, 2010
I believe the delay in getting the parking analysis study distributed to those that requested it was an attempt to save $$$ on paper, ink, stamps and the high cost of photocopying or photocopy machine was broken and they couldn't afford to fix it.

They're waiting for the right timing to enter the Kinkos market

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
One study found that the parking wasn't worth nearly $100 million, while the other study found that it was. Try to guess which parking study came first...:sarcasm:

Why is it I can see the CoG Council sitting around a campfire singing Joni Mitchell songs ( with a few mods )...

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a Hampton Inn, a boutique
And a swinging Hockey Rink

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They took all the hockey players
And put them on a desert team
Then they charged the people
A dollar and a half plus $20 parking just to see 'em

Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Well, when you've fallen down the Rabbit Hole the way Glendale has, taking advice from a Hookah Smoking Caterpillar could well be your only salvation. I consult with him all the time. :nod:

Same here....

7.75% yeild... 370 Million after interest... + 97 Million for 'arena management'... Nearly half a Billion dollars to keep an NHL team in Glendale. This is the option that is supposed to be better for the citizens of Glendale? I have been rendered speechless and light headed.

Did you also consult with the caterpillar???

Perhaps a change on that book title ABD?

Maybe " The 500 Million Dollar Coyote" "Billion Dollar Coyote"?

Wile E. Coyote and MH will then change the name to the RoadRunners.... Beep Beep!!

And my understanding is that doesn't even take interest into account. I don't know how anyone (Coyotes fan or not) can agree with this "deal" without feeling a great deal of shame.

Keeping with songs, you can either go with Blinded By The Light or Money for Nothing.....

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I'm sure, from their perspective, some fans still think this is a good deal... :help:
Anything that keeps the team in town is a good deal to some of them, and damn the consequences. The amount of 'Yotes fans on this forum who live in Glendale I'd wager is pretty small compared to Phoenix/rest of the state, so their pocketbooks aren't impacted.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
So is this really why the deal seems to have stalled? Somebody crunched the numbers after the meeting and realized that Glendale simply can't afford this? Sure seems like something has come up to drag things out and the city is just dragging its heels now to avoid admitting that they didn't due proper diligence investigating the end costs of this subsidizing nonsense after factoring in interest.

It's just wild that the NHL is still playing along with this. Why would anybody want to get involved with a cockamamie scheme like this one? It's bound to burn anybody who gets anywhere near it.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
I took the CoG cost benefit analysis and added debt costs at 7.75%. I also overlayed the parking revenue numbers with the projections from Walker and Hocking.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I took the CoG cost benefit analysis and added debt costs at 7.75%. I also overlayed the parking revenue numbers with the projections from Walker and Hocking.

I cant open that OA. Can you provide a synopsis or snapshot of the bottom line between the two?.

dkehler

Dec 1, 2009
Winnipeg
Maturity of the debt. I assumed a straight 30 year bond with no sinking fund or whatever.

If I'm reading this correctly, your spreadsheet shows that under their best case scenario, Glendale is losing something like $47 million overall on just the parking?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Maturity of the debt. I assumed a straight 30 year bond with no sinking fund or whatever.

Ouuuuchhh!!! that can't be a good thing. I assume all the COG councill memebers will be long gone before that fiasco occurs. This apperas to be over paying for the parking rights. I wonder if it went off at 5 or 6% if the numbers would make more sense. Very nice work and certainly very interesting. It would be hard to believe GWI would like those numbers but perhaps there is nothing they can do about it.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
I cant open that OA. Can you provide a synopsis or snapshot of the bottom line between the two?.

I added an image of the projected city cashflows.

If I'm reading this correctly, your spreadsheet shows that under their best case scenario, Glendale is losing something like $47 million overall on just the parking?

You mean the last year of Hocking? In that year the city has revenue of $60 mm and debt repayment and interest of $108 mm.

NHLfan4life

Who is PKP???
Nov 22, 2010
Glendale
Anything that keeps the team in town is a good deal to some of them, and damn the consequences. The amount of 'Yotes fans on this forum who live in Glendale I'd wager is pretty small compared to Phoenix/rest of the state, so their pocketbooks aren't impacted.

LOL. So anyone who doesn't live in Glendale, like I do, shouldn't support the team and just shut up? Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad