Part 6: True North Sports & Entertainment's efforts to acquire an NHL team (Winnipeg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
If so, wow. On both fronts. More seats? MOA?

I know this is probably going to get punted but a friend of mine is an electrician and two weeks ago he told me his company was contracted to renovate the upper bowl of the MTS Centre to add 2,500 seats. I wasn't sure what to think, but hearing it from THN is great.

youvegotit*

Really how about some facts...

2000-01 Average attendance = 14224
2001-02 Average attendance = 13165
2002-03 Average attendance = 13229

link (http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2002)

Glendale Arena opened midway through the 2003–04 season, on December 26, 2003

So I'm not a math major but in an arena (AWA) of 18000+ seats with an average attendance of approximately 13500 fans (from 01-03) somehow to my knowledge does not constitute a full building as you imply. Please enlighten us with your wisdom on how this is possible.

AWA held 16,210 for hockey, not 18,000+. Of that 16,210, three thousand seats had obstructed views, with one net completely out of view. Would you go to a game where you have to look at a teevee screen to see one of the nets? I sure as hell wouldn't. I guess that makes me a bad fan, just like all the people in Phoenix who wouldn't do that either.

Now I'm no math major, but it seems to me that the hockey capacity of AWA, minus the number of obstructed-view seats, is a smaller number than the attendance figures you quoted. That means that every seat with a full view of the ice was sold, plus a decent chunk of the obstructed-view seats.

Please look up some facts before you post useless garbage. They started with a capacity of 18000+ however they curtained off some of the seats, cutting the listed capacity to just over 16000. NOT 16000 - 3000.

As it turned out, the result was completely inadequate for the Coyotes. Most notably, a section of seats in the upper level actually hung over the boards, obstructing the view from over 3,000 seats. In those areas, a good chunk of the view from beyond the top of the face-off circle was cut off. The problem was so serious that after the team's first season in Phoenix, the team had to curtain off some seats in the areas where the view was particularly obstructed, cutting listed capacity from over 18,000 seats to just over 16,000.
The Coyotes added a second video board in an area where the view was particularly obstructed, and also put up numerous proposals to improve sight lines in order to boost capacity back over the 17,000 mark. They also had to sell many obstructed-view tickets at a reduced price.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I have no idea where this 2,500 seat nonsense is coming from, but I will believe it when I see it.

Everything that I have heard about the MTSC has stated there is no way to add seats, without great expense. I just do not see that happening.

I guess weirder things have happened in this saga, but since THN has become utter garbage over the past 10 years I won't hold my breath.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
I know this is probably going to get punted but a friend of mine is an electrician and two weeks ago he told me his company was contracted to renovate the upper bowl of the MTS Centre to add 2,500 seats. I wasn't sure what to think, but hearing it from THN is great.

Where they going to put the seats remains a mystery. Sky boxes (ring) alone, don't add up.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
well, 60M seems like "great expense" to me, and to be honest, considering the fact that those seats would be the cheap seats, i'd assume it would take decades to make that investment back.

so, yeah, i agree that the extra 2.5k seats sounds like baloney.

Ogopogo*

I am very happy for the people of Winnipeg if this actually happens. Living in Edmonton, I know how important the Oilers are to this city and I can't imagine what a devastating void there would be if the Oilers were to leave.

I like to cheer for underdogs and, as a city with all the crap Winnipeg takes from people, they are kind of an underdog city. I want to see NHL hockey back in a city that hungers for the product rather than a place that people couldn't care less.

Winnipeg, support the Jets. Keep them there forever this time.

masterquan14

Mar 8, 2010
canada
I am very happy for the people of Winnipeg if this actually happens. Living in Edmonton, I know how important the Oilers are to this city and I can't imagine what a devastating void there would be if the Oilers were to leave.

I like to cheer for underdogs and, as a city with all the crap Winnipeg takes from people, they are kind of an underdog city. I want to see NHL hockey back in a city that hungers for the product rather than a place that people couldn't care less.

Winnipeg, support the Jets. Keep them there forever this time.

ill do my part,if this potential "cash call" comes out for 3 year season tix commitments,im in and ill be paying for mine in full up front:yo:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Winnipeg better open their wallets for hockey tickets, its time that city stops being so damn cheap and pony up..if it happens.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
ill do my part,if this potential "cash call" comes out for 3 year season tix commitments,im in and ill be paying for mine in full up front:yo:

that's not what's important. I have no doubt that that cash call will sell out.

what's important is that peggers support the team when the franchise isnt a playoff contender, when it looks like they're going through a 4 or 5 year rebuilding phase, like edmonton is doing right now or ottawa is about to embark on. That's when fanbases are put to the test.

masterquan14

Mar 8, 2010
canada

what's important is that peggers support the team when the franchise isnt a playoff contender, when it looks like they're going through a 4 or 5 year rebuilding phase, like edmonton is doing right now or ottawa is about to embark on. That's when fanbases are put to the test.

agreed,i know the diehards ike me will support the team through a rebuild,and i honestly believe we have enough here now that will support them through the bad times,after losing the team,the city and people are more "aware" of what this will take,but ultimately,i guess i can only speak for myself,and ill support them through it all,buying season tickets every year through good and bad is supporting them,and thats all i can do as an individual

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Here's the Cherry Video;

Looks like Benny the Jet will beat Howler the Coyote after all.

After everything that has happened, I can't see the fans not supporting a team. And not for 3-5 years as has been suggested the excitement bubble would last. If NHL returns to Wpg, my guess is it is here to stay.

Especially after Peg' wins the Cup in 2015. ;)

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
No matter what, True North will still own AHL team

No matter what happens over the next few weeks, True North Sports & Entertainment is expected to own and operate an American Hockey League next season — they’re just not completely sure where it’s going to be located yet.

With talk of an NHL return to Winnipeg running rampant, AHL president and CEO Dave Andrews confirmed the league has a contingency plan in place should the Manitoba Moose be ready to leave the 30-team circuit.

“I would hope that IF Manitoba goes NHL, Mark (Chipman) would find a suitable home for his AHL club and continue to control its operation,” Andrews said via text message on Thursday. “Premature to say whether either thing will happen.”

There’s also been plenty of speculation about how long a decision can be delayed for True North before they have to declare their intentions to the AHL.

Andrews said Thursday that the AHL would like to know where the Moose stand by the annual spring meetings in mid-May.

He also noted the AHL had a contingency plan in place last spring when Winnipeg was being mentioned as a possible landing spot for the Coyotes.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/hockey/2011/04/14/17999386.html

GHOST

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC

I hope they do a better job than was done adding the upper deck to the Winnipeg Arena.

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
I feel bad for the people in Winnipeg, I know there are a lot of true fans up there. However I think it is a bit premature to start selling tickets.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Even it they do sell tons, Mr Daly pretty much said it wouldn't really mean they will get a team. He just said there are more ways than one to make them believe in a market.

Btw, Basillie also tried selling Hamilton Predators tickets way too soon and we all see how that worked out. Thanks Jim. We are having our best attendance's yet!

Edit: I'm neither for or against relocation or the Coyotes.

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
Even it they do sell tons, Mr Daly pretty much said it wouldn't really mean they will get a team. He just said there are more ways than one to make them believe in a market.

Btw, Basillie also tried selling Hamilton Predators tickets way too soon and we all see how that worked out. Thanks Jim. We are having our best attendance's yet!

Edit: I'm neither for or against relocation or the Coyotes.

LOL Hamilton Predators tickets. Also I'm with you I'm neutral on relocation but I think Winnipeg does deserve a team.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
LOL Hamilton Predators tickets. Also I'm with you I'm neutral on relocation but I think Winnipeg does deserve a team.

It's funny now, but it sure as hell wasn't funny then. Having a team that was stacked and the owner just says screw it, get rid of everyone. Then a guy wanting to buy the team with no intention whatsoever of trying to make it work, hence the Hamilton Predators tickets. Luckily we are 90% locally owned now with no chance of going anywhere and things have really turned around.

Also, I'm not comparing our market to PHX because I really think they have had plenty of chances and didn't step up as a fanbase or city.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
It's never been about the gate, the attendance, or the fans with Bettman.

It's always been about securing that lucrative big time billion dollar network American contract. The kind of blockbuster broadcast deal the NFL enjoys. That's the crown jewel missing from his tattered legacy.

Whether they sell out or not has never been the issue. Hockey retreating from the south means kiss that network TV deal goodbye. Winnipeg has 500,000 screaming mad, hockey fans, and Phoenix has 5,000, but Phoenix has 5 million people and that is why they have a team and Winnipeg does not. The southern expansion was strategically placed in the largest media markets -- regardless of hockey vitality -- to sweeten the pot of that impending TV deal and it never came.

The real money in pro sports is broadcast revenue and corporate sponsorship, not ticket sales. Jets season tickets for the next 10 years could sell out overnight, and every man, woman and child could raid every Sportchek from Thunder Bay to Red Deer, cleaning out all inventory of Jets merchandise, and it would still be a pittance next to the revenues that a corporate partner brings a team in a large media market.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
With the 5 year commitments in Columbus did season ticket holders have to pay 25% for all 5 seasons upfront...........or 25% for the first season and some small nominal amount for the remaining four...........or something else?

I've looked at a few teams' websites in the past and it seems 20-25% down payment for season tickets is the norm followed by monthly payments over the next 6 - 8 months to pay off the balance.

It has been a while so I don't remember exactly how it worked. My memory says it was something like this:

20% of the PSL cost up front, the balance paid in 4 more equal annual payments (thus the five years). The PSLs were a binding agreement. Yes they could easily litigate if the buyer bailed in the first five years. My 2 PSLs were $3000 each. My tickets in 2000, the franchise's initial year were $ 2950 each.

Season tickets had several payment plans. A deposit up front and then it had to be paid in full by April 30th. An alternate plan that was 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3. There was another plan where you gave them a voided check and they automatically debited your bank account over 6 months.

Corporate suite and loge sales were handled differently. They required a 10 year commitment. As an example, my brother bought a luxury suite and a loge box. He recently told me he signed a $ 2 million contract for the suite at that time (1999), which required $200,000 annual payments. The loge was a 4 seat box at the Club level, which in Nationwide arena is between the lower bowl and upper bowl. That was 10 years at $54,000 per year.

Now understand this is in Columbus Ohio in 1999 and not in 2011 and I can't imagine what those numbers would look like in Toronto!

Puckschmuck*

I think it's pretty unfair to isolate Winnipeg with regards to the lack of support issues. Look at all the Canadian teams in the 90s. Most of them had less than stellar fan support (Edmonton and Calgary for example) like Winnipeg did. And look at Ottawa today; nothing to brag about, is it?

We will support the team, don't worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad