Prospect Info: Part 3: Oskar Lindblom -- round 5 #138 overall 2014 NHL Draft

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Zamula and Hogberg have an edge because they're reliable.
Coaches prefer reliable rookies over flashy ones, because a rookie isn't going to score much in most cases, but they can make a lot of mistakes.
Zamula has the same presence I saw in Provorov as a rookie, and according to Appleyard, Hogberg has similar qualities.
That makes it easier for a coach to play them at a young age. Play good defense, and that'll buy you time to develop your offensive skill package.
York is supposed to have a high hockey IQ, it'll be interesting to see how he progresses this year.

Same applies to forwards, Farabee's only issue is his size, I think Cates will be a quick riser because of his IQ, and if Rubtsov hadn't lost a year plus to injuries, he'd probably already be on the Flyers.

I think the flashier players often struggle b/c they're so used to relying on their talent edge that when they get to the NHL it takes time for them to understand that everyone is talented, and you have to be fundamentally sound or you'll get burned left and right.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's a different scenario - Ghost for young/struggling vs Ghost for veteran/established - but I could certainly see that as a possibility as well. If young/struggling were the return, I would expect picks as well, especially from a contender who Ghost would theoretically be either putting over the top, extending their window, or both.

Now, the other thing to remember is that the cost of keeping Ghost may well be paying Seattle to take someone else. So in effect it would be a trade of:
- to Seattle: our #1 (based on LVK examples) and JVR or someone lesser
- to PHL: Ghost.

The alternative I proposed would allow both the Flyers and the 3rd team to keep the picks they would trade to not lose their better players while exchanging these better players. Assuming equal value exchanged, both teams are ahead by the value of their #1 pick, a not insignificant consideration. So for us:
- to Seattle: JVR or Jake (or a "lesser player") & "lesser player" from team 3
- team 3: Ghost and team 3's #1
- To PHL: Trade value of Ghost (their #1+, protected player, or unprotected player & picks) and our #1.

Assuming our young d trend the way we expect, this could be a very attractive way to keep young talent coming through the system.
I would not trade away a 1st just to keep Ghost. Some team will offer a 1st to have him.

Reminder...we protected Manning due to lack of options...lol. If we didn't have pick #2 we could have been a team to try and make some side deals. Actually, we should have anyways.

lol again...protected Manning, Gudas, Laughton, Flip(had to) and Stolarz

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I would not trade away a 1st just to keep Ghost. Some team will offer a 1st to have him.

Reminder...we protected Manning due to lack of options...lol. If we didn't have pick #2 we could have been a team to try and make some side deals. Actually, we should have anyways.

lol again...protected Manning, Gudas, Laughton, Flip(had to) and Stolarz

The last time we saw a lot of teams scared by the looming expansion draft and only a few ones making moves with the aim of actually improving their own situation.
I can definitely see that change based on the lessons learned.

That Flyers protection list based on a weak roster was dreadful and a wasted opportunity.

Reactions: Tripod

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
The last time we saw a lot of teams scared by the looming expansion draft and only a few ones making moves with the aim of actually improving their own situation.
I can definitely see that change based on the lessons learned.

That's exactly as I see it - teams gave up good assets (some in hindsight, but some at the time) because they were thinking in binary terms: only them and LVK involved. I suspect there will be a lot more jockeying this time around.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That's exactly as I see it - teams gave up good assets (some in hindsight, but some at the time) because they were thinking in binary terms: only them and LVK involved. I suspect there will be a lot more jockeying this time around.
I actually think it would be opposite. I think teams are going to let the chips fall where they may rather than trading away assets to keep assets. Maybe trading a pick or something to protect someone specific in a couple scenarios, but I don't think we see some of the bonkers deals we saw with Vegas. I know people are terrified of losing some one good but I don't see it as big an issue this time around after seeing what was given up. I can't think of anyone on this team that I would really be afraid of losing. I don't think any of our big prospects are going to eligible (correct me if I am wrong there), and the prospect of losing Morin isn't all that scary at this point (both in terms of his impact on this team and the likelihood he gets chosen). I could see if a team was out of the playoff mix leading up to the draft they may trade someone for a pick or something in order to avoid having to expose them for nothing, but I am thinking there won't be a ton of that. Again using the Flyers, if we are out of the playoffs at that point, maybe JvR gets moved or something?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You'll see team to team b/c of the logistics of 7-3 or 4-4.
Flyers would rather trade Ghost than lose him to Seattle if they can get a decent return and force Seattle to take a big contract (JVR, Voracel at 32) or a lesser player.
Another team would prefer to trade a forward they'd otherwise lose if they don't have 3 defensemen as good as Ghost, or trade futures to shore up their defense at a discount.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You'll see team to team b/c of the logistics of 7-3 or 4-4.
Flyers would rather trade Ghost than lose him to Seattle if they can get a decent return and force Seattle to take a big contract (JVR, Voracel at 32) or a lesser player.
Another team would prefer to trade a forward they'd otherwise lose if they don't have 3 defensemen as good as Ghost, or trade futures to shore up their defense at a discount.
Why aren't they protecting Ghost? Provolone, Ghost, Sanheim, no?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That's a different scenario - Ghost for young/struggling vs Ghost for veteran/established - but I could certainly see that as a possibility as well. If young/struggling were the return, I would expect picks as well, especially from a contender who Ghost would theoretically be either putting over the top, extending their window, or both.

Now, the other thing to remember is that the cost of keeping Ghost may well be paying Seattle to take someone else. So in effect it would be a trade of:
- to Seattle: our #1 (based on LVK examples) and JVR or someone lesser
- to PHL: Ghost.

The alternative I proposed would allow both the Flyers and the 3rd team to keep the picks they would trade to not lose their better players while exchanging these better players. Assuming equal value exchanged, both teams are ahead by the value of their #1 pick, a not insignificant consideration. So for us:
- to Seattle: JVR or Jake (or a "lesser player") & "lesser player" from team 3
- team 3: Ghost and team 3's #1
- To PHL: Trade value of Ghost (their #1+, protected player, or unprotected player & picks) and our #1.

Assuming our young d trend the way we expect, this could be a very attractive way to keep young talent coming through the system.

Ultimately, we're losing someone, theres no getting around that. So if the trade doesnt make us better, its not worth pursuing because losing two good pieces just to get one isn't sensical at all. Speculating on a trade like this is kinda moot, as we dont know what the climate will be like, or what Seattle's governing body is going to push for. All those Vegas trades before the ED and the ED itself made Vegas look kinda silly. But then they went and proved everyone wrong, so who knows.

Your last sentence is where my head is at though. If the kids progress well, a Ghost trade could be used to keep that pipeline of players coming, and replacing others as they get too expensive to keep, much like Chicago did.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It'll come down to Ghost or Myers.
Would Myers have to be exposed? I don't remember the exact parameters but I thought you had to be over a certain age or have at least two NHL seasons, or is it just professional seasons? Either way, I don't think it will as big an issue as people fear (here or elsewhere). It will suck if/when we lose someone, but I don't see a way around it. I wouldn't mind giving up something inconsequential to keep someone, but trading away something like JvR and a first to keep someone doesn't seem palatable to me. Trading Ghost for a bigger return or something then protecting Myers, that is a different story and I'd rather see that happen as opposed to the way it went down with some of the VGK deals in the last ED.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Maybe that's what they're doing, sabotaging Ghost so they can use that as an excuse to leave him exposed. ;)

They're certainly not doing it to win games.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
@DrinkFightFlyers
Two professional seasons.

"A player aged 20 or older (based on age on December 31 of calendar year in which the season starts) earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League year."

"a professional season is defined as 10 or more NHL games for players who are 18 or 19 years old or 10 or more NHL games, AHL, or European professional league games for a player who turns 20 before December 31 the year the season begins.

So Myers will be eligible, as will Rubtsov, but Ratcliffe, Frost, and Farabee are not eligible.
In effect anyone drafted last year, and any players previously drafted who weren't 20 by December 31, 2018 (because a 2018-19 SHL season won't count as a professional season), are not eligible.
Hogberg, Sandstrom, Fedotov - eligible
Zamula - not eligible
All the college kids are ineligible, unless they join the Flyers and play 10+ games.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
@DrinkFightFlyers
Two professional seasons.

"A player aged 20 or older (based on age on December 31 of calendar year in which the season starts) earns a year of professional experience by playing 10 or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League year."

"a professional season is defined as 10 or more NHL games for players who are 18 or 19 years old or 10 or more NHL games, AHL, or European professional league games for a player who turns 20 before December 31 the year the season begins.

So Myers will be eligible, as will Rubtsov, but Ratcliffe, Frost, and Farabee are not eligible.
In effect anyone drafted last year, and any players previously drafted who weren't 20 by December 31, 2018 (because a 2018-19 SHL season won't count as a professional season), are not eligible.
Hogberg, Sandstrom, Fedotov - eligible
Zamula - not eligible
All the college kids are ineligible, unless they join the Flyers and play 10+ games.
Gotcha. So the real choice seems to be between Ghost or Myers walking or trading to keep one (or trading one away and protecting the other). In two years the players may make this choice for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The decision between which 3 D to protect isnt close to being decided.

By next season, Myers could have as big an impact as Sanheim did last season, making the decision very difficult. We just dont know yet.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Would Myers have to be exposed? I don't remember the exact parameters but I thought you had to be over a certain age or have at least two NHL seasons, or is it just professional seasons? Either way, I don't think it will as big an issue as people fear (here or elsewhere). It will suck if/when we lose someone, but I don't see a way around it. I wouldn't mind giving up something inconsequential to keep someone, but trading away something like JvR and a first to keep someone doesn't seem palatable to me. Trading Ghost for a bigger return or something then protecting Myers, that is a different story and I'd rather see that happen as opposed to the way it went down with some of the VGK deals in the last ED.

Myers would have to be protected next summer, let alone summer of 2021.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The decision between which 3 D to protect isnt close to being decided.

By next season, Myers could have as big an impact as Sanheim did last season, making the decision very difficult. We just dont know yet.

I like Phil, but I highly doubt it. His offensive potential and transition game lag far behind Sanheim. His passing has been the one trait that notably hasn’t translated as a pro, not that it was ever a strength. Even 2 years from now, a lot of his game might remain potential based. He’s high variance in all aspects.

But I don’t think any of us will be shocked when they make a preemptive decision to trade a certain 1 point defenseman anyway and not dangle any defender in expansion. Besides Hagg who will still be here ofc.

Reactions: baudib1

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I like Phil, but I highly doubt it. His offensive potential and transition game lag far behind Sanheim. His passing has been the one trait that notably hasn’t translated as a pro, not that it was ever a strength. Even 2 years from now, a lot of his game might remain potential based. He’s high variance in all aspects.

But I don’t think any of us will be shocked when they make a preemptive decision to trade a certain 1 point defenseman anyway and not dangle any defender in expansion. Besides Hagg who will still be here ofc.

I mean im not saying he'll be the same player as Sanheim last year...but that his "impact" could be the same. Different ways to skin a cat and all.

I share the same fears as you do about Ghost being traded next summer. Especially if this team doeant win a round or two.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost won't be traded until Zamula, Kalynuk or York are ready to take his role on the defense.
Myers replaces Braun next summer, and Friedman is also a candidate for RHD.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Myers would have to be protected next summer, let alone summer of 2021.
Gotcha. It will be interesting to see how things unfold. I think a move like trading someone to give them flexibility to protect someone is more likely than trading assets to keep an asset. IDK what the deal would be but maybe Myers or Ghost for a prospect that doesn't have to be protected (or some picks).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad