FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Bringbackhak
upload_2019-10-25_19-26-34.gif

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Lindblom is the Brian Propp of this generation. Not an amazing comparison stylistically but the closest example I could think of. A guy who's a scoring winger who can play in all three zones and both special teams. Propp was a 40-goal scorer and 90-point guy in a high-scoring era, when you had guys regularly score 120 points and 3 or 4 guys could get 150; so that's probably 65-70 points today.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Lindblom is very good and they should protect him in the Expansion Draft when that comes around. He’s vital to this team’s future.

*disregard the pic please*

Attachments

• 479200A3-F624-4D8A-B77F-3487A7295C79.jpeg
    479200A3-F624-4D8A-B77F-3487A7295C79.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I'm starting to think i may eat some crow on not thinking lindblom could be a top end scorer. If this pace continues that will be some delicious bird

Reactions: Devonator

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Saw a tweet the other day (@Appleyard was that you?) that showed Linblom being ranked #7 overall in a pre-draft list. Then he dropped down to the 5th round because of "skating" concerns.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He's turning into quite the find.

It was silly he fell to the 5th even at the time.

But almost EVERY year it happens with a Swede who should have for sure gone inside ~#90 WITHOUT hindsight... just using logic at the time.

2013: Johnsson
2014: Lindblom
2016: Bratt
2017: Bemstrom
2019: Pasic

I mean... with Bemstrom and Bratt I talked about them on here at the time...

though other Euros it happens to as well.

I think they are getting better though overall. Berggren and Eriksson might have fell a few years ago.

Though Dahlen, Hallander and Gustafsson almost fell out of the 2nd. And Hoglander went outside the 1st... and Fagemo was somehow undrafted first time around.

Reactions: Rebels57

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Is Superelite equivalent to CHL hockey?

Not quite as good a level. But usually lower scoring.

Going off the stats in terms of equivalency over the leagues lifespan then the difference between the OHL/WHL and the Q is about the same as the Q and SupeElit.

MHL 0.1664
OHL 0.1577
WHL 0.1549
QMJHL 0.1332
SuperElit 0.1117
Jr. A SM-liiga 0.0966
USHL 0.0813

(MannyElk ran this a year or so ago)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I saw another study that had the USHL much higher, which I believe, given the number of draft picks (and NHL players coming out of the USHL, and especially the USNTDP.

I'd think the USHL is at least equivalent to, if not better than the CHL, these days, a bit younger on average, but with the flood of American talent, the talent pool is probably less diluted.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I saw another study that had the USHL much higher, which I believe, given the number of draft picks (and NHL players coming out of the USHL, and especially the USNTDP.

I'd think the USHL is at least equivalent to, if not better than the CHL, these days, a bit younger on average, but with the flood of American talent, the talent pool is probably less diluted.

Was it BehindTheNet's (Desjardins) numbers? I believe he ended up around 0.09 for the USHL.

I don't believe Vollman ever went on record with one, citing lack of workable data.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Their top guys are really good. And the league *was* lower scoring for a long time until the last couple of years, which meant some good players were under-drafted.

But the bottom proportion of the league drags it down... partially due to the lack of decent players aged 19-20 in general meaning they have guys in the bottom six and bottom pairing that would not make many CHL teams and instead would be BCHL/AJHL etc. Almost all the top guys go to the NCAA or are pro's quickly and dont hang about a year or two like in the CHL.

If you are doing an NHLe based on the guys who actually make the NHL, then the USHL is really solid. But when you look at the league as a whole and where the players actually end up, and how they do there, the quality is less if that makes sense.

That is because while the USNTDP is great, and will have ~10 or so future NHLers on each year, a lot high end, even the "premier" USHL teams outside of them might have ~2-3 future NHLers on their roster in a very good year.

Put it this way.

If a non-USNTDP guy is scoring P/GP in their draft year they are likely as good/better than a CHL guy with similar. But the overall quality of the league is worse still.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wonder however, how much of that is "lag," the supply of American born players, who often do USHL then college, has skyrocketed the last two decades, but most studies tend to be dated to get a big enough sample.
So while the CHL will have a supply of 20 year overagers, the USHL has its share of 19 year olds who hang around to improve their chances at a good college program. And there are far more CHL teams than USHL teams.

Something to watch going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad