Player Discussion Parker Wotherspoon (re-signed 1yr $800k)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Troy Wotherspoon had to ditch the fan gear.

The lifelong Canucks fan — he still has season tickets — had to start pulling for the Bruins once his son, Parker, pulled on the spoked-B for the first time.

“Yeah, I don’t think he’s thrown on the Canucks jersey in a while,” Parker said, before the Bruins shut out Western Conference-leading Vancouver, 4-0, Thursday night at TD Garden. “He’s definitely been a fan of mine, and my brother [Tyler is] in Utica as well [playing for the Devils’ AHL team] so he just kind of follows us. I don’t think he’s a huge fan of them anymore.”

Parker, a native of Surrey, British Columbia, is very well-versed in the Bruins-Canucks rivalry. As a 14-year-old, he attended Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, won by Boston. He has vivid memories of that Cup clincher.

“Yeah, that was tough. It was weird. I remember when Boston scored the first goal, just the air went out of the building and we knew it was over,” the defenseman said. “It was a tough one, yeah. Obviously, it hurt a lot as a kid.”

He couldn’t help but to think back on those days when he signed with the Bruins as a free agent last July 1 and then slipped into a Boston sweater for the first time.

“It was super special. Obviously, such a storied franchise and there was a little thinking about that for sure, growing up as the opposite, but it was such a great moment for me,” said Wotherspoon, who counted twins Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Ed Jovanovski, Dan Hamhuis, and Kevin Bieksa among his favorite Canucks back in the day.

Wotherspoon, who entered the season with just 12 NHL games on his resume, played in his 21st game of the season Thursday night, paired with Derek Forbort. He’s added some toughness and grit to the backline corps and has chipped in with three assists.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Didn't get to watch the game between doctor's appointments/work/wife's birthday dinner but he sure as hell looked good in the 10 minute highlights I watched. I really think this kid has a higher ceiling than bottom pair.

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
1707576150103.png

Reactions: BMC

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017

Troy Wotherspoon had to ditch the fan gear.

The lifelong Canucks fan — he still has season tickets — had to start pulling for the Bruins once his son, Parker, pulled on the spoked-B for the first time.

“Yeah, I don’t think he’s thrown on the Canucks jersey in a while,” Parker said, before the Bruins shut out Western Conference-leading Vancouver, 4-0, Thursday night at TD Garden. “He’s definitely been a fan of mine, and my brother [Tyler is] in Utica as well [playing for the Devils’ AHL team] so he just kind of follows us. I don’t think he’s a huge fan of them anymore.”

Parker, a native of Surrey, British Columbia, is very well-versed in the Bruins-Canucks rivalry. As a 14-year-old, he attended Game 7 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, won by Boston. He has vivid memories of that Cup clincher.

“Yeah, that was tough. It was weird. I remember when Boston scored the first goal, just the air went out of the building and we knew it was over,” the defenseman said. “It was a tough one, yeah. Obviously, it hurt a lot as a kid.”

He couldn’t help but to think back on those days when he signed with the Bruins as a free agent last July 1 and then slipped into a Boston sweater for the first time.

“It was super special. Obviously, such a storied franchise and there was a little thinking about that for sure, growing up as the opposite, but it was such a great moment for me,” said Wotherspoon, who counted twins Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Ed Jovanovski, Dan Hamhuis, and Kevin Bieksa among his favorite Canucks back in the day.

Wotherspoon, who entered the season with just 12 NHL games on his resume, played in his 21st game of the season Thursday night, paired with Derek Forbort. He’s added some toughness and grit to the backline corps and has chipped in with three assists.
I may be wrong but I believe his brother Tyler played for the Flames vs the Canucks in the 2015 playoffs…them or the Ducks

Thought I remembered hearing the name Wotherspoon in one of those series

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd like to see them give Wotherspoon the same sort of contract they gave Kevan Miller and Connor Clifton early into their time in Boston. 2 or 3 year deal at a low AAV but with the security of it being a guaranteed one-way contract.

Wotherspoon is entering his prime age, can play both sides, good character D-man who looks after his own zone.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'd like to see them give Wotherspoon the same sort of contract they gave Kevan Miller and Connor Clifton early into their time in Boston. 2 or 3 year deal at a low AAV but with the security of it being a guaranteed one-way contract.

Wotherspoon is entering his prime age, can play both sides, good character D-man who looks after his own zone.
I'd be on board for this.

That Clifton contract was great for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad