Player Discussion Parker Wotherspoon (re-signed 1yr $800k)

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
He’s a JAG, but he knows his limitations and plays well within them. A good cheap option for 6th or 7th. I would prefer he brings some sort of intangible for example Mcquaid played well with his limitations but his intangible with toughness was a big asset, or someone like Forbort’s intangible who is a very good PKer. Overall a decent guy placed in the right role

Not a guy I would be upset if they didn’t re-sign.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
For some reason NESN would always list Mcquaid at 197lbs even though he was clearly much bigger.
He was strong and tall, but also very lean. 197 does seem too light, he was probably a legitimate 210 during his prime.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I couldn't stand him for a bit but he's growing on me. He's not bad in the defensive zone at all and can kill penalties pretty good. He's a pretty damn bad puck mover though which is why it's best he passes the puck a short distance which is usually all that's expected of him.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Parker Wotherspoon might be found money for the Bruins. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Bruins are already looking at extending him quickly the same way they did with Miller and Clifton when they broke in. Inking them to new deals with very manageable cap hits before their price went up with more games played. He seems to fit the system the Bruins play very well. The fact he looks comfortable on both sides is a bonus. Reminds me a bit of our old friend Seidenberg, just not as strong physically as Seids but similar in style.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Had a rough game last night if you watched the shifts and not the stat sheet.

Clearly wasn’t comfortable on his offside. A couple times Gryz definitely expected him to be in position but he was elsewhere.

Still a good 6/7 option but not sure I have him in a full time lineup on a team that plans to go to the cup finals.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
That was a nice play from Parker on Jake's goal. I also love that he got into the Avs' faces when they got too close to Swayman, that has been something missing from Bruins' defensemen for a long time now.

He's a keeper at 6-7.
Yeah thats one thing I have liked about his game each night, he's always quick to clear the front of the net.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Wotherspoon is a keeper. I'm seeing some nit-picking here about things that can get better the more he plays. IMO his upside continues to show with every game. He makes no egregious mistakes and stands up for his goaltender. He doesn't give an inch unless he's beaten out of that inch, which doesn't look easy to do. He's a big improvement over "you know who" cheaper, and a stalwart. A few boxing lessons from Quaider and he's the type of guy you go to war in the trenches with.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Had a rough game last night if you watched the shifts and not the stat sheet.

Clearly wasn’t comfortable on his offside. A couple times Gryz definitely expected him to be in position but he was elsewhere.

Still a good 6/7 option but not sure I have him in a full time lineup on a team that plans to go to the cup finals.

I watched the game and it seemed like majority of the times he touched the puck he made a smart, quick simple decision with it. Looked perfectly comfortable on his off-side as well, especially considering a D-man being comfortable (or not) on his off-side has basically nothing to do with positioning.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I watched the game and it seemed like majority of the times he touched the puck he made a smart, quick simple decision with it. Looked perfectly comfortable on his off-side as well, especially considering a D-man being comfortable (or not) on his off-side has basically nothing to do with positioning.

What

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Positioning doesn't change going from LD to RD.

What changes are puck pick-ups, transitions and pivots, quick turns, knowing what direction to look over your shoulder for oncoming forecheckers, etc. Is the D-man comfortable making those routine actions enough so that it doesn't result in turnovers, bobbled passes, etc.

Detroit won a cup in 2008 with an entire D-corps of lefties. But the game is a lot faster now and it's that increased speed that has drastically reduced the number of times we see D-men playing their off-side around the league. If they aren't comfortable making the above mentioned routine maneuvers, that extra half second it takes can be a killer.

Reactions: sarge88 and Gordoff

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'm surprised more guys don't like playing their offside - I always felt it allowed me to open up before receiving a pass which gave me a more full view of the ice.

I think where most guys struggle is handling a pass on their backhand and quickly moving it up or picking it up on their backhand in the corners.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Positioning doesn't change going from LD to RD.

What changes are puck pick-ups, transitions and pivots, quick turns, knowing what direction to look over your shoulder for oncoming forecheckers, etc. Is the D-man comfortable making those routine actions enough so that it doesn't result in turnovers, bobbled passes, etc.

Detroit won a cup in 2008 with an entire D-corps of lefties. But the game is a lot faster now and it's that increased speed that has drastically reduced the number of times we see D-men playing their off-side around the league. If they aren't comfortable making the above mentioned routine maneuvers, that extra half second it takes can be a killer.

Agree to disagree

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm surprised more guys don't like playing their offside - I always felt it allowed me to open up before receiving a pass which gave me a more full view of the ice.

I think where most guys struggle is handling a pass on their backhand and quickly moving it up or picking it up on their backhand in the corners.

Same here. I find the same thing (the bolded). The maneuver I always found more difficult was receiving that D to D pass on my off-side on my forehand and having to transition to my right (up ice) using back-wards crossovers. Felt much easier on my natural (left) side.

The picking up of the puck coming around the corners if you go forehand you back is to the play. Feel pressure and bank it off the wall could be an easy turnover. Open up to face the other way and get trucked or toss the puck up the middle (or both).

I think it's mostly because of the speed of today's game we've seen it sort of disappear unless out of necessity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad