Player Discussion Parker Wotherspoon (re-signed 1yr $800k)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If this was 1969 Parker Wotherspoon would already have a 2000 member fan Club started up by a couple of gals from Saugus, and a photo of him in a full length fur coat (I know horrible but you want to know life in those times go watch Mad Men) wearing gargoyle sun glasses standing with Derek Sanderson and Ace Bailey outside Bachelors 4 would be melting hearts all over New England

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Wotherspoon’s emergence provides ‘a good problem’ for Boston’s blue line​

Of the many players to emerge this season for the Bruins, Parker Wotherspoon is one of the more unexpected ones.

With Brandon Carlo and Derek Forbort injured, Wotherspoon, working mostly alongside Hampus Lindholm as of late, emerged as a reliable blueliner who can log physical and demanding minutes at both even strength and the penalty kill.

“[My comfort level]’s growing and growing,” Wotherspoon said. “Took a little bit to get comfortable with the system but the coach has been helping me out a lot and bringing me up to speed.”

Before Monday’s contest, Montgomery listed both Carlo and Forbort as day-to-day. It’s likely that when both become healthy, there will only be one roster spot for Wotherspoon and Mason Lohrei as the seventh defenseman.

Wotherspoon, who would be subject to waivers if sent down, could be claimed by another team for his value as a depth defender. Lohrei, on the other hand, has continued to mature during his rookie season.

Indeed, a ‘good problem’ awaits the Bruins.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
According to CapFriendly, Wotherspoon is still technically under the "protection" of his emergency recall on Jan 6th. We were able to bring him up on the emergency loan because we had only 5 D available to dress at the time. From what I understand he can play up to 10 games before needing waivers, and he has played 6.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Losing Wotherspoon on waivers would be tough.

Look to trade Grzelcyk right now.
....and stick with Lohrei instead? No thanks.

I got no problem moving Grizz if the right deal comes along, but if you are telling me that our D corps is better with Wotherspoon and Lohrei on the back end, instead of a healthy Forbort and Grizz, you lost me.....

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

I got no problem moving Grizz if the right deal comes along, but if you are telling me that our D corps is better with Wotherspoon and Lohrei on the back end, instead of a healthy Forbort and Grizz, you lost me.....
I'd 100% move Grzelcyk and his near $4M in cap space.

Playoff Grzelcyk is just bad.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

I won't debate you on that. You very well may be right. My point is that our alternatives aren't that appealing on the left side.

Grizz isn't going to get you anything of trade value in return, for the reasons you just pointed out.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The value is unloading nearly $4M.
Understood. But what's the other half of the equation that we are adding to make this team better?

I get the fact that people want him gone. He's not been good this year. But that creates a hole on the left side, and Lohrei is definitely not the solution for filling that in the playoffs. So unless there's somebody out there that you can work a trade for, straight up, I don't see how this team is better in the short term.

Over the summer? Sure, knock yourself out and don't extend him.

edit: Since this is the Wotherspoon thread, I'm gonna stop here. We can pick it up over on the Grizz thread if you want....

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Understood. But what's the other half of the equation that we are adding to make this team better?

I get the fact that people want him gone. He's not been good this year. But that creates a hole on the left side, and Lohrei is definitely not the solution for filling that in the playoffs. So unless there's somebody out there that you can work a trade for, straight up, I don't see how this team is better in the short term.

Over the summer? Sure, knock yourself out and don't extend him.
Matt Grzelcyk is the hole on the left side come April.

I'd love to package him in a trade for Middleton.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Grizz is gone after this season no doubt. I agree with Sheppy, start shopping him and when Forbort comes back you can rotate Lohrei and Wotherspoon as needed. Can always go out and get another D if you don't trust those two.

Just don't see the benefit at all in keeping both Gryz and Forbort just to let them walk at seasons end.

Reactions: BTO

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

i do not want to see gryz play any playoff games this year. How many years in a row do we have to deal with his garbage play in the playoffs?

I won't debate you on that. You very well may be right. My point is that our alternatives aren't that appealing on the left side.

Grizz isn't going to get you anything of trade value in return, for the reasons you just pointed out.
Forbort lindholm and wotherspoon all are better options than playoff gryz

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
i do not want to see gryz play any playoff games this year. How many years in a row do we have to deal with his garbage play in the playoffs?

Forbort lindholm and wotherspoon all are better options than playoff gryz
Grizz played 3 and 4 in Florida & Clifton

Bruins won 4-2 & 6-2

Game 6 in Florida Grzelcyk sat & Clifton played

Clifton -3 and a bad penalty

Clifton played game 2 and 6 last four period Florida scored 11 goals

Yet everybody tells me it was Grzelcyk

Reactions: Dr Hook

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I had never heard of him before this year, admirable play so far, little bit of jam, holding his own in the absence of Forbort and now Carlo

Grizz played 3 and 4 in Florida & Clifton

Bruins won 4-2 & 6-2

Game 6 in Florida Grzelcyk sat & Clifton played

Clifton -3 and a bad penalty

Clifton played game 2 and 6 last four period Florida scored 11 goals

Yet everybody tells me it was Grzelcyk
Cliffy was ass in that series, Grizz gets too much hate here, I`m not a super fanboy of Grizz but he`s not deserving of all the hatred

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I had never heard of him before this year, admirable play so far, little bit of jam, holding his own in the absence of Forbort and now Carlo

Cliffy was ass in that series, Grizz gets too much hate here, I`m not a super fanboy of Grizz but he`s not deserving of all the hatred
Clifton never should have played game 6 in Florida after being scratched 3-5

Grzelcyk was very good in the two wins against those meanies

Reactions: ODAAT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad