Paris' Notre Dame is on fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Very sad, while I am not religious I do appreciate the history of the place. I feel lucky now that I have visited it in the past and have a number of pictures etc.
I wonder how the Roman ruins under the site have fared.

The latest I have read from the Paris fire brigade is that the fire was likely started due to the use of very hot lead during $6M repairs to the spire.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I spent a year in Paris in the '80s. I'm not Catholic but I used to go there a lot just to sit and read or reflect. This is heartbreaking. Such a beautiful place with so much history. It's like the heart of France is burning.

Reactions: Roman Fell

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
A truly painful Lenten tragedy, but with Easter there is Resurrection and renewal. In time I’m sure a new cathedral will arise and take its place where the old one stood.

Not the first cathedral lost to fire, and it’s not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up that matters.

I work in construction (electrician) and I would happily donate a couple of months of my time to rebuild it.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
IMG_0616_zpsk2z2pjpu.jpg

IMG_0552_zpsyj0drxrq.jpg

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
I will never understand how this could happen with a fire such as this on such a large scale that it would acturally cause one of the towers to burn towards the point of collapsing and I am completely and udderly disappointed and distraught as myselve and bae had planned a visit to Paris complete with a tour of the cathedral that is now in flames, and now I don't even know if we are going to go and hope and pray that I get my security deposit back and bae gets refunded for what she has already purchased in advance for the trip because without this as a part of our trip I don't even think that Ashlee will want to even go anymore, she is a HUGE Cathedral buff and this was literally on her "bucket list" of giant churches to visit in her lifetime, and now it's literally being destroyed as we post here by what could might even be an act of terror or at a minimum, extreme negligence. This is going to be one of the saddest days of her life when Ashlee finds out about this after reading my instagram post about it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Such beautiful windows. :(

It's weird, and maybe just me, but a site like this will never feel the same after burning down. I'm sure it will still be an amazing landmark, but something that old and revered can't really be replaced.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com

It's weird, and maybe just me, but a site like this will never feel the same after burning down. I'm sure it will still be an amazing landmark, but something that old and revered can't really be replaced.

Are you seriously being serious about this? It's literally burning down and like you said it can't be replaced or replicated even so it's literally probably going to be likely just torned down, who would even think about going to go see a big pile of smoldering burnt up rubble now that this has happened, who would be "amazed" by a huge pile of ashes when what they really want to see is the beautiful architecture that is now going to be destroyed beyond all recognition? I really hope you are just "trolling" about this but still that is horrible too, nobody should be trolling about the loss of one of the greatest most amazing architectural achievements in human history, now being burned to the ground. SMH!

Reactions: Madifer

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Are you seriously being serious about this? It's literally burning down and like you said it can't be replaced or replicated even so it's literally probably going to be likely just torned down, who would even think about going to go see a big pile of smoldering burnt up rubble now that this has happened, who would be "amazed" by a huge pile of ashes when what they really want to see is the beautiful architecture that is now going to be destroyed beyond all recognition? I really hope you are just "trolling" about this but still that is horrible too, nobody should be trolling about the loss of one of the greatest most amazing architectural achievements in human history, now being burned to the ground. SMH!
Because they will likely rebuild it? In what way would that be taken as a troll post? SMH indeed.

Reactions: Cody Webster

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

So very true.

It happens from time to time, unfortunately.

Ste. Anne du Beaupre in Quebec burned down and was rebuilt with an even more magnificent cathedral in the early 20th century.

Granted, nothing will ever replace Notre Dame, but with modern construction technology, a majestic new cathedral can be built.

Reactions: YNWA14

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
Because they will likely rebuild it? In what way would that be taken as a troll post? SMH indeed.
I am literally scoffing at this idea because that is just like saying that after someone takes a shotgun to the Mona Lisa "they" (whoever that is) will likely repaint it, I mean, are you kidding me? You can't replace the irreplaceable, you can't just go in and wave a magic wand even if a want existed that could remake something that is literally priceless, like as good as the original. You have got to be making one of the worst jokes ever to say that they are going to remake a whole church that probably took 100s of years to actually make into what it was before it burned down today, and likely cost what would be equivalent to like over 100 Billion dollars in "today's money" who is going to pay for that? The French????

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Guys who are happy about this: Notre dame de Paris is possibly the most impressive gothic building in the world.

I mean its fine if you are indifferent, although then I would question your level of overall intelligence, but cheering for this? Really?

They will likely restore it, yet its lost forever in its amazing original form.

This is very sad

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
That's it, trip cancelled. I was really looking forward to my first trip to Paris and Ashlee's 3rd but now I don't think I will ever even bother going. I just found out that this Cathedral was literally over 1000 years old and now it's gone forever, what was literally the centre of Paris is destroyed. Sending thoughts and prayers and positive vibes to the people that are surviving this but nothing can really help them now.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I am literally scoffing at this idea because that is just like saying that after someone takes a shotgun to the Mona Lisa "they" (whoever that is) will likely repaint it, I mean, are you kidding me? You can't replace the irreplaceable, you can't just go in and wave a magic wand even if a want existed that could remake something that is literally priceless, like as good as the original. You have got to be making one of the worst jokes ever to say that they are going to remake a whole church that probably took 100s of years to actually make into what it was before it burned down today, and likely cost what would be equivalent to like over 100 Billion dollars in "today's money" who is going to pay for that? The French????
You’re right. It’s irreplaceable. I can’t and never will be what it was.

But it will be rebuilt. The art and relics were priceless. There will be new paintings, new stained glass, and in time there will be new relics.

I certainly know that I would and will donate time and money to build a new Notre Dame cathedral, and I’m sure a few other people out there will as well. It is a place of worship first and foremost, so I don’t think it will be left as pile of rubble for very long.

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
Guys... Paris wasn't built in a day as they say.

Let's wait until morning when we can truly understand the level of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad